Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Mosnowman

Another Generator Question..... ;)

I have researched all the threads on the site regarding generators but couldn't find the answer to a couple of my questions..

1. Some say that the Honda 2000 will run an 13,500 Roof mount AC...others have said it won't (?) Can anyone tell me for sure, if in fact this model will run a rooftop ac on my new Keystone Bullet 278RLS? I have read the daisy chaining two of them but at over $1,000 a pop not sure if I want to buy two if one will do the job?

2. I have a noisy Champion and was wondering if it is acceptable to run within the National Parks? I'll probably end up going with the quieter lighter Honda but was curious...

Thanks for any insight you guys can offer a newbie.....
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
gkainz

my Honda 2000 will not start the a/c ... but I've heard others say theirs will. I guess it varies. I am going to install a hard start capacitor this summer and see if that will work. Most of my boon-docking is during fall hunting seasons, so the a/c is not necessary for me.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Johnnyfry

Generator

Regarding the noise issue. It is my understanding that NPS has a 60dbA limit in campgrounds. I believe that this is measured at 10 feet ( distance is important here as the noise level falls off with the square of distance ie: at 20 feet the noise would be 1/4 that at 10 feet).

The Honda spec for the 2000i is 58dbA @ 2 meters ( about 7 feet) so it is OK. Typical for construction generators is 74dbA @ 10 feet. That is WAY too loud for park campgrounds. Generator loading also has a direct impact on the noise level.

Most manufacturer's specs include noise information, but you may have to dig for it and be careful of the stated measurement distance.

I have never seen a park ranger make such a measurment but I suspect that some of them may not take pains to measure at the exact specified distance, especially if they are responding to a complaint from another camper.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
tcaggie

I have both the 2000i and the 2000i Companion. I have a 13.5 AC on my trailer and if that is all the power I will be using, one gen will do the job. However, rather than worry about it, I usually simply hook them together and run everything.

I love them. They are quiet and easy to handle. I looked at the 3000, however, storing and handling was more than I wanted to deal with.

Pricey? Yes...however, I guess this is where you get what you pay for. They will last forever and I use them for a lot of things involving tools/lights where power is not available.
tcaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
jje1960

Genset

Yes, have seen the Honda 2000 start 13.5's and seen them not. Also depends on altitude and restarts, plus the unit's are running flat-out. We have a hard start capacitor, has really helped with our genset running. You have other options other than twin Honda's (which is big $'s), just my 2cents but I'd not want to rely on just a single Honda 2k if you need aircon.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
Some say that the Honda 2000 will run an 13,500 Roof mount AC...others have said it won't (?) Can anyone tell me for sure, if in fact this model will run a rooftop ac on my new Keystone Bullet 278RLS?
The reason you keep seeing conflicting answers is that sometimes it will, and sometimes it won't. Usually an eu2000 will just barely power a 13.5k BTU unit in optimum conditions (low altitude, moderate outside temperature, etc.) and even at that with absolutely no other loads, but just as often that same unit will not be adequate at higher altitudes or hotter days. So as others have said even if a single unit seems to do the job if you want dependable operation you should really use two, which will do the job with no sweat with some power left over. Many who boondock year-round use two eu2000 in the summer and one in the winter.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The reason you keep seeing conflicting answers is that sometimes it will, and sometimes it won't. Usually an eu2000 will just barely power a 13.5k BTU unit in optimum conditions (low altitude, moderate outside temperature, etc.) and even at that with absolutely no other loads, but just as often that same unit will not be adequate at higher altitudes or hotter days. So as others have said even if a single unit seems to do the job if you want dependable operation you should really use two, which will do the job with no sweat with some power left over. Many who boondock year-round use two eu2000 in the summer and one in the winter.
x2 on the above info. yes, my honda 2000 will start my 13500 A/C at sea level, at temps below about 85F. But when I really need it, at temps in the high 90's, or much above sea level, no go. And that is with a soft start cap on the A/C and a delay system to keep the A/C fan for coming on until about 30 seconds after the compressor starts.

What I can say is that it will start a smaller coleman power cub under every condition I've experienced, high temps, 7000F altitude etc. so it may be that the honda 2000 will start some of the newer high efficiency 13.5K BTU units that draw in the 10A range like the polar cub does. But I don't think those units are very common on new trailers, to expensive for the mfg.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote