Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Johnnyfry

What is with Flying J ?

When I got into this game everyone told me "Set up right away with Flying J, they are the hot deal"

Well, I have been on the road since June and I don't agree.

Their fuel prices are 5 to 7 cents higher than other retailers in the neighborhood.

Today I needed air and inquired at the desk. I was directed to a pay air dispenser. It didn't work so I went inside and asked again and was told " I don't know --- maybe the 7-11 down the road." HEY, I just bought $120 in fuel from you guys and I get sent to the 7-11. What is wrong with this picture? I am sure that if I had been driving an 18 wheeler the story would have been different.

Please comment about the treatment you have receives at Flying J. Was my experience an anomaly?

Another, where do you all get air service when you need it?

Thanks,
John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
jq1031

John, wow that would pi.s me off too. I had a similar experience (with propane) in the St Louis area on I-270. Pulled into FJ on a December night low on diesel & propane about 10, 15 miles from Sundermeires RV park in St Charles, MO. our destination. Very cold night, low on propane & FJ told me to go somewhere else as they were short staffed & did not have anyone to fill me up, off course that was after my diesel tank was full & paid for. Aside from that incident I like FJ but never forgot!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
smiller

Flying J seems to be becoming a victim of their own success. I used to stop there exclusively but am looking around more and more because they have become too crowded and without enough counter people to keep things moving. They are also now charging for the 'freebies' that used to draw me in (dump station, etc.) I know nothing is really free and everything is built into the cost of doing business but now they seem to be charging for extra services and raising their fuel prices. Maybe that's what they need to do to maintain their margins (a fact of business) but it does start to make the competition look better and better (another fact of business )
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Flying J went bankrupt about two years ago and has been trying to restructure since. Their merge with Pilot seemed to help but they are not the same as in the past. Last year we stopped in a few that had no restaurants. They claim that some of the Pilot stations will be remodeled to be "RV Friendly" but in this economy I don't see that happening. I save a few cents with their RV advantage card so the easy on - easy off locations, RV lanes and the descent mileage I get with Conoco fuel has me tolerating their prices for now but if the price spread gets wider I will pass them buy. JM2˘, Hank .....Their prices in my home state NJ are outrageous so I use Hess while home.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
hankaye

Howdy All;

Flyin' J is no more. When Pilot bought them out 2 years ago they (Pilot), started to convert one of the better Truck Stop Chains into a fast food get yer fuel an get outta here kind of place.
Little over a year ago I was headed back to Ut. from Oh. Stopped at The J in Rawlins, Wy. The dining room was about demolished (re-modeling?), and when I paid the bill, I noticed all of the frozen food in the Mgr's office... asked, and was told it was a goof. Pilot had ordered about $20,000.00 to much for the freezer.....
All Pilot wants is your money.......... once they have that you could fall off the edge of the Earth... they won't care.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Exsailor

Its a shame too, they were the first to really embrace RVers, RV lanes and the like. Now Pilot has them and it isn't the same.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
chuckretnav

Flying J and Pilot

it dosnt matter if you drive a RV or a 18 wheeler (I use too) for several years now and it dosn't matter what truck stop your at they treat everyone the same (like s---) the local people get this attuide that they won't get fired by the big corp and the corp keeps cutting operating money that all the truck stops are bad. If it wasn't the fact that I needed a place to park and needed fuel I wouldnt stop at over half of them.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote