Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
dljs1941

summerland Mini 1850FL - bypass valve

Recently picked up a new keystone summerland mini 1850FL trailer. Was familiarizing myself with it trying to find the water heater bypass valve. This trailer has the WH in the rear under the beds while the fresh water tank and pump are under the bench near the door. I expected to see it near the pump but there are no shut off valves. Specs on the unit indicate it has a bypass valve but for the life of me I can't find it. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mod82864.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	12192  
dljs1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I would expect to see the HWT bypass piping/values at/very close to the tank where the water input and output ports are. There has been recent posts related to the HWT bypass valves/configuration including pictures. Try a search on HWT bypass.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Look at the back (the inside part) of your water heater. On the lower section you will see a fitting that supplies water "into" your water heater. Adjacent to that you'll see a 1/2" PEX tubing that connects the top water heater fitting to the lower fitting. At the lower end of that tube you will see a "T" fitting. On the center of that "T" fitting you'll see a "quarter turn valve". That valve is your "winterization kit valve. Here's a picture. Notice the lower water input, the tube that goes in a right direction from that to a "T". You can barely see the valve handle on the inside of the "T" (between the "T" and the water heater). On your trailer, it is difficult to see, but it's there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH BYPASS.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	12193  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #4
dljs1941

Thanks for the responses. the Hot water tank is under the bunks in the rear. Hard to access from inside the trailer however easier via the storage. The tank is closed off by thin paneling walls which I was able to remove to gain access.However i decided to cut a hole in the paneling so i can simply reach in to close or open the bypass. Engineer who designed that location must have returned to work after a weekend bender :>).
Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
linux3

I don't understand why you need to close or open the valve. Well, other than when winterizing and de winterizing.
My water heater has an access panel under the closet and it's screwed in place. Remove 2 screws and the panel and I can 2X times a year switch the valve.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
dljs1941

Linux3. You are correct. Only need to close/open it during winterizing and de-winterizing. Just didn't want the hassle of having to remove the screws and panel to get at it. Thought cutting the hole was a one-time adjustment. Now i can just reach in from the storage area and get at the valve.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
BuxCamper

On a previous trailer I got rid of the screws and used Velcro to hold the panel on. Also added a knob similar to what was already in the camper. The screw holes would not last forever.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote