Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
Keithcanuck

UV damage from skylights

Keystone, in all it's wisdom made a real design boo boo in my opinion. They put the skylight directly over the shower stall which is quite useful but.... The sun has yellowed the entire walls of the shower. It's a 2008 and I am the second owner. The 1st owners had a sticker of some sort on the wall. When I peeled it off there is a nice bright white square where the UV couldn't affect it. Question: Is there anything that will restore the original colour or must I replace the walls? It would be great if they would use the resistant PVC when they assemble them.

Thanks for any replies- we love the 5th wheel.
Keith in Florida
Keithcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
Steve S

Are you sure it just doesn't need cleaning? I can't see a skylight damaging all the walls like that unless it's a huge skylight that can let the sun hit every corner of your shower stall.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
Keithcanuck

UV damage

It was professionally cleaned when I bought it from Camping World and since, I had used bleach products and scrubbing pads to no avail. UV will affect plastics terribly especially in direct sun here in Florida where I keep it. In fact, windows manufacturers in Canada, selling vinyl windows, have all switched to a resistant product. They turned yellow too. Thanks for your response.

Any one else??
Keithcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
notanlines

Keith, let's get this straight. You would remove and replace all the walls in the shower because the sun caused them to yellow.......on a trailer manufactured eight years ago? Honestly, big guy, unless momma is hot after you there will be about 75 other things considerable more pressing than yellow walls. Give Porter Paint Company a visit (Maybe Sherwin-Williams) and they will give you a way out of this at 1/10th the price and labor.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
randy69

Just wanted to know was the walls to your shower white because mine is medium gray. Have a 2010 and living in southern califorina, sunny and dry humidity.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #6
ksbowman

We have the same problem. We have the same sticker white spot too. We've tried several cleaners and the Mr. Clean scrubbers also. I wouldn't do without the skylight as it lets in great light. I hope someone gives a good cure!
ksbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #7
BirchyBoy

Maybe paint the spot under the sticker to match the rest? Or hang a shelf in front of it?
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

When we were in the military, we used Contact paper to cut out different shapes to decorate showers and bath tub areas. Possibly some "creativity" in finding a decal or just making some to stick on the shower walls? Depending on your design capabilities, you could have customized shower art to cover the spot.

Here's one website: http://roommatesdecor.com/wall-decals/bathroom-decals

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
ksbowman

You can indeed cover the spot, but the side panels are yellowed giving a dirty look. The clear coat on the panels prevents cleaning or bleaching to get it back to the original white.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Replacement shower pan and wall surround are available at Trekwood. Here is the assembly for a 2011 Cougar. You would need to look up your specific model to be sure there is no significant difference.
http://www.trekwood.com/products/478...archment-White
http://www.trekwood.com/products/478...archment-White

They are listed as "Parchment" which is an "off white", so the color may not be much different than your "dirty look yellow"...

The deterrent for me would be the cost: Shower pan: $166.25 and surround: $204.82. Shipping is extra. Only you can determine if the cost is worth the look, assuming the current shower is functional and not damaged.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #11
gkainz

I would look into Duplicolor spray paint for plastics
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
ksbowman

That looks to be the best option. The surface would have to be properly prepped though. For now I'll stick with what I have, it's livable, but not the way I wish it looked. A bad paint job would look worse and the new panels are out of the question for me.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't seen any paint for plastic that will hold up to the repeated scrubbing necessary to keep a shower clean. The soap scum and water spots are difficult to keep clean even with the slick surfaces in the current showers. Trying to scrub any painted surface (assuming you can get a "rattle can finish" to look good) would be a never ending battle.

I'm thinking that with some careful painting, it would look good until the first time the DW tried to clean it and from then on, it would be a downhill event.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
Pull Toy

How about you go to your local "Autozone" or whatever, and get a Pick-up Truck mirror repair kit. This is usually a "peal and paste" mirror appliqué . Cover the problem area, and pretend you shave in the shower. (I won't tell) probably less than 5 bucks.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote