Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
BlueThunder34

Air Bag 1000 Use

We will be towing our new Springdale and I have just installed the Air Bag 1000's with the load controller on board air compressor on our 2014 RAM 1500. Last year we towed a 7,000lbs Jayco and it did great with the WDH but still a little soft so I added the bags for increased control. Anyways, we will still be using a WDH but do I air up the bags before or after the trailer and WDH is attached to the truck? I read somewhere (cant find it again) that for the initial setup: keep the bags at 5psi, connect and adjust the WDH and trailer to the truck for the first time to get the truck as level as possible with just the WDH, then disconnect trailer and WDH and trailer. Add about 35psi to the bags and reconnect the trailer and WDH and release air until the truck is level.
Does that seem right? Some say you can't use the bags to lift the truck once all of that weight is on the springs?

Thanks for the help!
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
GT2400BH

Auto leveling

I can't answere your question but have a similar one someone might be able to help me with since it's similar. My Grand Cherokee has auto leveling. The manual says I should use WDH.,but didn't say anything about setting it up. Should I have the Jeep running and auto leveling working when I set up the WDH ?
The dealer told me it didn't mater, but seems like it should mater.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
hankaye

Howdy to the both of you;

Sounds like a question for the manufacturer to answer. You should be able
to find a "Contact Us" on the instruction sheet or their website...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

BlueThunder - Attach your trailer and WD hitch before airing up the bags. 5-10psi initially. After you're hooked up air your bags to 35psi. On my 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 the bags did nothing to speak of on height so I just set the hitch and aired up.

GT2400BH - I don't know what your owner's manual says but I would think you would attach the WD hitch without the auto leveling, set it per manufacturer's instructions then let the auto leveling do whatever it wants to do once you've set it all up. Just my thoughts............
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
BlueThunder34

Great, thanks for the help! The truck sits pretty level with the WDH, I just was hoping to firm the ride a bit with the bags and eliminate some of the "floating" feeling as well as sway.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
x96mnn

Now I did the opposite of what sourdough suggests but I can't state if I was right or wrong.

I had a 2011 ram 1500 with the airbag 1000s and ran 7psi in them not load but ran 35 psi in them while loaded but always added the air before I added the trailer and set up the WD. My main haul at the time was a sprinter 266 which came in around 8000pds loaded up. When I would have 35psi in the bags I did not need to have any real tension on the WD bars, 5th and 6th link from the bar as the truck was almost spot on perfect. Without any air I had to load the bars up to get the truck close to level, 3rd link from the bar.

My experiance was a way better tow experiance with the airbags as I was transferring more weight then I should off the hitch to make my truck ride level which resulted in sway.mwith the airbags allowing more weight to sit on the back I had a much more stable ride.

This s my experiance only and thougt that's what I was supposed to do from the info I read with the bags, not positive as I tend to dream things up.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
ncgrl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
Now I did the opposite of what sourdough suggests but I can't state if I was right or wrong.

I had a 2011 ram 1500 with the airbag 1000s and ran 7psi in them not load but ran 35 psi in them while loaded but always added the air before I added the trailer and set up the WD. My main haul at the time was a sprinter 266 which came in around 8000pds loaded up. When I would have 35psi in the bags I did not need to have any real tension on the WD bars, 5th and 6th link from the bar as the truck was almost spot on perfect. Without any air I had to load the bars up to get the truck close to level, 3rd link from the bar.

My experiance was a way better tow experiance with the airbags as I was transferring more weight then I should off the hitch to make my truck ride level which resulted in sway.mwith the airbags allowing more weight to sit on the back I had a much more stable ride.

This s my experiance only and thougt that's what I was supposed to do from the info I read with the bags, not positive as I tend to dream things up.
Agree with above. Manufacturer suggest running at least 5psi all the time, and I did read somewhere that you should pump up to the 35psi max before hooking up. If not, it will not expand the bags as much, and give the full benefit. I have always did it that way with no problems.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
RamRider

I talked to Tech service and they recommend 30 psi when ever pulling your rv or boat. 5 psi when not loaded just to keep the bags inflated
Old 12-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
BlueThunder34

Thanks all for the help and suggestions
Old 12-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

BlueThunder34,

You might want to do some research on your question with the manufacturer of the hitch. If you dig past the "make the tow vehicle level" syndrome, you'll find that the purpose of a weight distribution hitch system is NOT to level the vehicle, but rather to return appropriate weight to the front (drive wheels) of the tow vehicle. In doing that, some weight is "shifted" from the vehicle hitch to the front of the tow vehicle and some weight is shifted from the vehicle hitch to the trailer axles. In most situations, the rear of the vehicle will "sag" somewhat (1-3 inches) when the hitch is appropriately adjusted.

All of this weight shift is a direct result of the hitch angle as it relates to the weight distribution bars. Consider that if you hitch your vehicle to the trailer, set your weight distribution bars appropriately to return the front fender well measurement to within 1/2" of the "unhitched height", you will have a specific amount of tension on the chains or lever assemblies attached to the trailer tongue. Now, if you use the trailer jack to lift the hitch, you will be removing some of that tension and shifting it back to the hitch (removing transferred weight from the trailer axles and tow vehicle drive wheels). In doing so, you are defeating the purpose of the weight distribution system. Many of us do exactly this (use the trailer jack) to remove tension from the bars because it is easier to "connect" them for towing when the trailer tongue is elevated.

Now, if you hitch your trailer to the tow vehicle, adjust your weight distribution system appropriately and then use the air bags to "lift the vehicle, you again are raising the hitch, which changes the angle of the trailer/tow vehicle and shifts weight off the trailer axles and front wheels of the tow vehicle.

In other words, you are (again) defeating the functional weight distribution of the hitch.

There is a specific method to adjust the weight distribution hitch, and it differs somewhat from hitch to hitch. I would urge you to contact your specific hitch manufacturer's customer support section and ask the specific question, "How do I adjust my weight distribution hitch when I have installed air bags on my tow vehicle?"

It would be inappropriate to believe that you can adjust the hitch properly, then raise the vehicle (with the trailer hitch or with air bags) and expect the hitch angle to remain unchanged. Any time the hitch angle changes, the tension on the weight distribution bars changes. This causes the weight to shift away from the "adjustment" and changes the settings away from what you intended.

Check with the hitch manufacturer for the appropriate way to adjust your hitch.

Here is one manufacturer's take on the topic: http://www.airliftcompany.com/worksh...s-air-springs/ Note the last sentence: "Adding air may require readjustment of the bars."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Blue Thunder - my apologies. I used my airbags according to the manufacturers instructions - which is to air up BEFORE you put on your load. My memory was telling me otherwise....I guess I'm getting senile

I used copy/paste to attach a portion of the manufacturers instructions and it doesn't quite look like the booklet but......

Minimum Air Pressure Maximum Air Pressure
5 PSI 35 PSI
FAILURE TO MAINTAIN CORRECT MINIMUM PRESSURE (OR PRESSURE
PROPORTIONAL TO LOAD), BOTTOMING OUT, OVER-EXTENSION OR RUBBING
AGAINST ANOTHER COMPONENT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.
Maintenance and Servicing
MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES
By following these steps, vehicle owners will obtain the longest life and best results from
their air springs.
1. Check the air pressure weekly.
2. Always maintain at least the recommended minimum air pressure to prevent the air
spring from being pinched. Never inflate beyond the maximum air pressure.
4. If you develop an air leak in the system, use a soapy water solution of 1/5 liquid dish
soap and 4/5 water to check all air line connections and the inflation valve core before
deflating and removing the air spring.
5. Always add air to springs in small quantities, checking the pressure frequently. Sleeves
require less air volume than a tire and inflate quickly.
OPERATING TIPS
1. Inflate your air springs to 35 PSI before adding the payload. This will allow the air cylinder
to properly mesh with the coil spring. After the vehicle is loaded, adjust your air pressure
down to level the vehicle and for ride comfort.
2. When carrying a payload it will be helpful to increase the tire inflation pressure in
proportion to any overload condition. We reccommend a 2 PSI increase above normal
for each 100 lbs additional load on the axle.
DO NOT EXCEED THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS’ MAXIMUM GROSS VECHICLE
WEIGHT RATING. CAUTION
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote