Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
{tpc}

Campfire near awning...

So I searched and couldn't find any info on this. But how do other people handle it? Our only trip so far, the wind was such we had our awning up. My friends had theirs out but never used their pit as we used ours and the pit on the opposite side of theirs (other friends).

My concern is wood that maybe "pops" or spits burning embers out. Are the awnings typically high enough to not have to worry about this? Do you bring yours in before you build a campfire? Do you try to position the trailer away from the pit to accommodate for this?

I have to think that it could lead to holes in the awning (heck maybe even the epdm roof?) if the chairs around my firepit at home are any type of indicator. Granted those are low and close to the pit but it doesn't take much if a ember hits them..
Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
berg

I'd also be worried about warm, sagging material, discoloring and smoky smell. Any way to just move the firepit?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
So I searched and couldn't find any info on this. But how do other people handle it? Our only trip so far, the wind was such we had our awning up. My friends had theirs out but never used their pit as we used ours and the pit on the opposite side of theirs (other friends).

My concern is wood that maybe "pops" or spits burning embers out. Are the awnings typically high enough to not have to worry about this? Do you bring yours in before you build a campfire? Do you try to position the trailer away from the pit to accommodate for this?

I have to think that it could lead to holes in the awning (heck maybe even the epdm roof?) if the chairs around my firepit at home are any type of indicator. Granted those are low and close to the pit but it doesn't take much if a ember hits them..
I try to position the 5th as far away from the fire pit as possible --- yet near enough to the utilities -- but the combination of the two isn't always possible.
I'd never have a campfire close to or under the awning - even a little bit.

Some types of wood - especially cedar- and to some extent pine - do give off a lot of sparks and I don't want them landing on the roof or the awning.

If the fire pit is close to the awning, I'll retract it rather than chance an errant spark burning a hole in it. Sometimes, the direction and speed of the wind will determine if it is too risky to build a fire close to the RV.

If, by chance, there is a vacant site adjacent or close to ours, we'll simply build a fire there and I don't have to worry about it.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
GaryWT

Definitely try to position the trailer as far away as we can. Most sites it is not an issue. On a rare occasion we will not have a fire at our site if it does not work out.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Through the years, we've had tents, screen rooms and wind-breaks pitted from embers. Those holes were really small, but with the cost of replacement fabric for an awning, I'm reluctant to put the awning out near an open fire. My DW is also not real keen on smoke billowing under the awning and finding its way into the RV through open windows.

Where we camp, there's usually no fire department within miles and miles and in many places we go, there's no cell service to even call if there was a FD near enough to respond.

Maybe we're just extra careful, but if we're going to have a fire, we usually roll the awning up not only to protect it, but to keep smoke out of the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Ever put your hand above a candle? I'm not putting a fire under my awning. Will it get hot enough to cause damage???? I will never know for sure.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote