Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Vet4jdc

Roof Care?

We purchased our Montana Mounatineer last year and have enjoyed a year of camping so far. I am fanatic about taking care of the roof and try and keep it clean and conditioned. So....what is everyone else doing to clean and condition their rig? What products are you using that you like?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Not trying to put off answering your questions about roof and general RV care, but this question has been asked a number of times previously and there are already numerous posts/threads with suggestions and what members use.

Try using the Search feature --- type in roof care/roof maintenance/roof cleaning/ or for the coach itself: polishers/waxes/cleaners.

If you can't find any information or suggestions by using the search feature, get back to us.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Vet4jdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Not trying to put off answering your questions about roof and general RV care, but this question has been asked a number of times previously and there are already numerous posts/threads with suggestions and what members use.

Try using the Search feature --- type in roof care/roof maintenance/roof cleaning/ or for the coach itself: polishers/waxes/cleaners.

If you can't find any information or suggestions by using the search feature, get back to us.
I've done searches for "roof cleaning" and "roof care"...got about 8 hits with one search and nine hits with the other....not one talks about what products are being used to clean or condition your fiver roof?

Besides....products and ideas are introduced every day so I'm looking for the most current info possible?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
bsmith0404

I like and use the Dicor cleaner and roof guard products.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
Ayotte

Read some place to use Dawn detergent and water to remove dirt and stains from roof
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
Read some place to use Dawn detergent and water to remove dirt and stains from roof
A lot of folks have had success using Borax - added to plain, warm water or to a mix of detergent (such as Dawn) and warm water. Don't forget to wash down the sides after cleaning your roof.

Just make sure you don't use anything with petroleum distillate in it --- not good for an EPDM rubber roof.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:36 AM   #7
fred1609

I use the dicor cleaner. First spray the loose dirt off, then spray the cleaner from a spray bottle. I use a car wash mitt to wash the roof, dividing the roof in sections. Don't forget to put up the antenna, I always do. After the roof is cleaned and dry I spray on the protector, dicor sells that stuff too. I use a sponge mop to spread the stuff. Generally I clean the roof 3 times a year or when needed. If your roof is clean there won't be much in the way of black streaks.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:25 AM   #8
therink

I Park the rig near trees at home so my roof needs frequent cleaning. I do a thorough visual inspection of caulked area and wash it monthly with a soft brush and dawn. I have read that the roof membrane manufacturer says that conditioners and sealers are not necessary and to not use harsh chemicals.
I am going up today to wash it as tomorrow I plan on applying Eternabond tape to the front and rear seams. It seems that every couple of months I find an area or two that needs a touch up with self leveling caulk. I really try to stay on top of it. Once a roof leaks, it's too late.
I consider myself a roof nazi.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:53 AM   #9
wowchad

I was wondering this same thing, but specifically about caulk or sealer.
(Never even thought about cleaning it)

So since self leveling caulk was mentioned, is it run of the mill hardware store stuff or RV specific that I'm going to pay $20.00 a tube for for from an RV stealer?
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
wowchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:16 AM   #10
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowchad View Post
I was wondering this same thing, but specifically about caulk or sealer.
(Never even thought about cleaning it)

So since self leveling caulk was mentioned, is it run of the mill hardware store stuff or RV specific that I'm going to pay $20.00 a tube for for from an RV stealer?
You will likely not find RV grade self leveling caulk at home store. Yes dealers carry it, like $12/tube. You will want Dicor self leveling for flat roof areas and Dicor or Proflex lap sealantfor vertical areas. Personally, I buy mine through Amazon prime, cheaper and free 2 day shipping.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
Vet4jdc

I ended up ordering Protect All roof cleaner and roof conditioner for the roof. I'll clean tomorrow morning and then apply the conditioner when it drys later in the day. We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
gearhead

Anyone used Wet & Forget? I'm not sure if any of the ingredients are what you would call a petroleum distillate.
I think chemicals that aren't a distilled petroleum product are those that are a product of chemical reaction. Not sure if I want to sort that out.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
instymp

+1 what Steve said, also, if using Dawn, it should be the original version. Being a cheap SOB, I use Dicor products. I think they should know what works. Roof is too expensive to save a couple bucks here & there.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:16 AM   #14
archbarb

I have the EPDM rubber roof and have been told that Dawn was a good product to use. After about a year, I noticed that I was getting some black spots that would not come off with the dawn.

I called Dicor to ask them about that, and they said they recommend using Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover. Spray it on and use a soft brush to work it in and spray off. I did as they said and the spots are gone.

Just be sure to keep the side of the unit wet while doing this to prevent streaking.

Towards the bottom of the article posted they go into detail about this!!!!!

http://www.dicorproducts.com/catalog...-roofing/#care

Archie
archbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
instymp

Quote:
Originally Posted by archbarb View Post
I have the EPDM rubber roof and have been told that Dawn was a good product to use. After about a year, I noticed that I was getting some black spots that would not come off with the dawn.

I called Dicor to ask them about that, and they said they recommend using Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover. Spray it on and use a soft brush to work it in and spray off. I did as they said and the spots are gone.

Just be sure to keep the side of the unit wet while doing this to prevent streaking.

Towards the bottom of the article posted they go into detail about this!!!!!

http://www.dicorproducts.com/catalog...-roofing/#care

Archie
Thanks for the post!
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote