Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
prootze

Newbie Questions

Hello All

Just had an 06 cougar 290 EFS delivered to me yesterday. the previous owner
only had the unit for a month before his wife decided after one trip that
she now wants a diesel pusher! I called keystone yesterday for a manual and was told to check my mail next week. Anyhow, as i stated in my intro. this is my first rig ever so i will be asking many questions and look forward to your responses. below are a few Qs for you folks..

#1- Generator -- will a honda 3000iS be sufficient to run all systems?
does it wire directly to breaker panel, and where is best location for it?
how do i vent it ??

#2- Heat and AC -- does the LPG have to be turned on when hooked
up to shore power for these systems to work??

#3- Keys -- i only have one set of keys. is this something i get from keystone
or can i get them elsewhere. (lowes or home depot) thanks in advance Mike
prootze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

HI QUESTION 1 The honda is perfect. but do not hook up to the pannel. you would need a transfer switch and i feel that would be a waste of $$$. just plug the shore power cord into the generator when you are dry camping and your good. and this my sound dumb but i have seen it done so i apoligise if this sounds condensending. do not run the generator in a storage area that is not set up for a generator. #2 the lp needs to be on for the furnace to run. and the stove.. if you are on the gen or shore power the a/c will work the hot water will work on a/c or gas as will the fridge.. if you are on shore power some folks turn the hot water on both when sowering ( it recovers faster and can take a longer shoer then when done turn off the gas and let it run on a/c.if you have the fic brand key the ones with the square black head you can go on line to their web site and order them by the number that is on your key. or a dealer can help you with that. if you have a small silver key that opens all the storage locks. if it says ch751. that is avalible at any dealer and hardware store. hit they fit almost all camper locks. but some campers use a different codes fic key i am not sure what your unit uses.. and most important WELCOM TO THE FORUM GREAT PEOPLE HERE SO ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU WANT. ENJOY ALL THE ADVENTURES. ENJOY!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
davidjsimons

As for the generator, you can wire it directly to the panel but a transfer switch would need to be installed that is a three position shore, off and generator type, otherwise you would run the risk of burning up your generator when plugged to shore power. I'm not a camper electrical expert but that is the way it works in marine application. I would not think that this would be any different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
davidjsimons

Can not emphasize the advice above enough about not running in a confined space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
SteveC7010

#1 The Generator

I don't think your rig has a ready to use Generator compartment so hard wiring it is probably not the best choice. There are "dog bone" adapters available that will let you plug your RV shore line into the generator. Most of us who use generators that are not built into the trailer will site them a distance away for convenience and lowered sound. Also, a 3K won't power two air conditioners and the rest of the RV.

#3 The Keys.

You can get the CH751's for the compartments most anywhere. Just realize that we all have CH751 locks so most anyone can open your compartments. If you need security, change the locks.

For entry door keys: http://www.fastecindustrial.com/products/default.html
Your key number should be stamped on the key.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest that you consider using the search function here as you will quickly discover that most of your questions have already been answered in great detail.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
Bushman512000

yes

gas on for heat Bushman and welcome and good luck and enjoy the new to You rig...Bush...
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

If the '06 has the slide out rack you can mount the generator there and plug the shore-power cord directly to it. (Try running it there to see if you are bothered by the vibration or might want to run it on the ground) The slide out rack is not the best designed, so you may want to add some support to it and make some sort of enclosure so the Honda doesn't grow wings. Even when connected to shore power don't expect to run W/H and A/C at the same time. (I can't on mine .. 30 amp just not enough)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
prootze

Smile

Thanks for the helpful advice!.. i think for now i am gonna just buy a second battery and wire it with a switch like i have on my boat. between the purchase of the 5er and the truck, my spending is gonna be tight for awhile.. ( skinny wallet syndrome)
just have to remind myself it dont all gotta be done at once!!!

Steve: i may just change all the locks as per your suggestion.. and yes it is stamped 751,, ty Doc..
the rig has a single 13,500 BTU unit. 30 amp.. i will do some more research on the gennys and how i will setup!

Hank : yes it does have the slide out rack. i will find out what load rating is and will reinforce if needed..

thanks to all Mike
prootze is offline   Reply With Quote