Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #1
jrhoads23

Advice / Experience with dealerships "20 year / 200,000 mile warranty"

So what's the story with these? I think some dealerships even have a "lifetime" warranty.

From what I read they supposedly cover all major components (engine, trans, ...). You do NOT need to have the vehicle serviced at the dealership, you just need to follow the maintenance schedule and keep records. How I think they make it work is it is only offered on new vehicles and is NOT transferrable. So the dealerships are banking that someone that buys a new vehicle is going to get rid of it well before 200,000 miles, at which point the warranty is void.

Has anyone ever taken advantage of one of these (after the factory warranty is over)? Did the dealership honor it without making you jump through all kinds of hoops? Do they have a ton of loopholes in them that they will just use get out of it? Sorry, but I am very skeptical.

Also, how do these work with diesel engines - and the newer exhaust regen systems they have? Are those covered? I am leaning away from a diesel because if/when things happen down the road, it is way more to fix than a gasser. But if these warranties are legit and all major diesel components are covered, I may reconsider
jrhoads23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Third party warranties are usually very expensive to purchase and have wording that would take the entire term to decipher. I wouldn’t buy it, but I’ve been wrenching on vehicles for over 40 years and have a variety of code readers that will tell me what’s wrong.

I would read the entire warranty, and re read the exclusions before buying.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:01 PM   #3
jrhoads23

Oh I certainly am not planning on BUYING one (couldn’t tell if you thought I might buy one or if “buy it” was in the sense of believing in it)

I just didn’t know if these things were some kind of a golden ticket for new diesels to insure you against major issues at the 100,000 or even 150,000 mile mark 10 years down the road. Or are they total scams like the 50 emails and spam calls I get a day trying to sell me one. And thus I should put no weight at all in them and assume it doesn’t even come with anything past the factory warranty
Old 01-10-2021, 03:19 AM   #4
notanlines

Jeff, I have wondered the very same thing. In Florida where we are (Okeechobee) the 200,000 mile warrantee is offered at almost all the major dealers, i.e. I believe all the Allen Jay dealers are on board with this. https://www.alanjayfordofsebring.com...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:17 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I don't know about that plan in particular but I'll tell you about what I'm experiencing related to vehicle warranty.

We purchased a new F150 King Ranch in 2009. When the Ford warranty expired I started getting robo calls about an "extended warranty plan". I still get these calls 11 years later. That alone tells me someone is making a lot of money from that.

Typically this doesn't matter as I screen calls. On the landline when the phone rings "Alexa" will announce who it is or the phone number if it isn't in my "contact list". It will also pop up on the television screen. I won't answer and they never leave a message. Then Covid and so many people working from home. The scammers now clone local numbers and if you're waiting for a return phone call from an insurance company, doctor's office, even financial or investment companies someone may be calling from an "unrecognized " number. Then it becomes a choice of answering a possible robo call or letting it ho to VM and play phone tag. Thank you Covid, just one more inconvenience.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:38 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

If it sounds too good to be true.......

These lifetime or super-extended warranties that are included “at no extra charge” are highly suspicious. From what I have read in the fine print, it does come at a cost; many require more stringent regular maintenance, limitations on where or who does the maintenance, restrictions or exclusions for vehicles used for towing or snow plowing, limitations on what is actually covered (no belts, hoses, seals or gaskets) which if they cause other things to fail, resulting damages are not covered since the part that started the issue in the first place isn’t covered.

In short it’s like snake oil, or Doctor Dan’s Magical Elixir. At best It is a marketing ploy to get you to buy from them, at worst it’s a false sense of security. Interestingly enough, you can’t call it fraud because you didn’t buy the coverage, the dealer throws it in for “free”. For that reason, I would steer clear of any dealer offering the “warranty”.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:45 AM   #7
jrhoads23

Nearly all dealerships around here offer it. And looking at the details on it on their website (it is just the high points, not the full wording of the warranty). It specifically says service does NOT need to be done at the dealership and you can do it yourself. You just need to make sure to document it and do it at the maintenance schedule.
And it calls out that all seals and gaskets ARE included for the major components.

I am going to try and get the actually warranty details tomorrow so I can read the fine print. Along with any "gotchas" that might be in there, I am curious to see if it considers the diesel exhaust system as part of the engine and thus, it would be covered
Old 01-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Bottom line and easy answer, its a written contract. State by state, company by company can and will be different. YOU need to read every line and understand every line. Having the guy just explain it in 5 minutes will not give you the truth only the good points.
YOU had better slowly read every line, take notes and get answers before you sign. It might take 30 minutes.
TIPS: Contracts print is normally different sizes. Small hard to read is more important then the bold print. Small print is normally what they will not cover/do.
When YOU need to initial a line on the right side of the document. RED flag!
That is something your agreeing to that is special for the contract. It can be good or bad. Read it carefully. Double read it if you need to.
The coverage should state each item that is covered and what is not. YOU should know what those words mean. Like what is a lamp, body molding or a harmonic balancer. etc etc. 1 costs a few bucks the other, maybe a thousand.
I have read worthless warranties and good ones.
Many times the longer you stall and ask questions the cheaper it will become. Dealers start high with room to go lower, They just get a smaller cut.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #9
travelin texans

My '13 GMC diesel dually came with 100k/7 year bumper to bumper no deductable from GM that I only had to use once in the 138k miles I owned it & was totally painless. Called into the dealer we were closest to at time, stated the issue, made an appointment, they repaired the issue & we drove away.
Our 5th wheel came with a lifetime warranty, to original owner, from our dealer, it had to be annually inspected by them & was only good with them. We never returned to them, not even during the 2 year factory warranty. We did get an appointment at the factory for warranty issues while we were in the Elkhart area attending a rally for our brand. All other issues were repaired by me with reimbursement for parts from Crossroads (which is now operated/managed by Keystone).
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #10
jrhoads23

Just as a follow up, I went to the dealership and got an actual copy of the warranty contract. It is offered by Fidelity Warranty Services. I can post a PDF of it if anyone is interested (3 pages), but I suspect they have many different versions of it that a dealership can choose from. From looking at other dealerships that offer it, some say on the dealership website that all service work must be done at the dealership. In the case of my dealership, they specifically say service work does NOT need to be done at the dealership. Here are some key points I took from reading it...

The warranty does not specifically state that maintenance has to be done at the dealership or any designated/authorized service center. It just says that the manufacturer maintenance schedule must be followed (makes sense) and that copies of all work must be saved. It says those copies must include customer name, repair order number and date, VIN, vehicle description, mileage and complete description of what was performed. There is no mention either way if you can do the maintenance yourself and if you do, what is required for proof of that. So that is something I would want to contact them and clarify.

There is no mention of any diesel specific items in the warranty so I called up the warranty company and was directed to their mechanical division. The person I spoke to was very helpful and explained that diesel EGR systems were NOT covered by the warranty. Things like injectors, injector pumps, water pump, alternator, ... were NOT covered either. Piston rings, rockers, ... WERE covered. He just confirmed that unless it is specifically called out in the warranty (it has a big list) then it is NOT covered.

For any given repair they will only reimburse up to the value of the vehicle at the time right before the breakdown. So if you have a car that is 19 years old and has 195,000 miles on it that needs a new $5,000 engine and transmission, if that car is only worth $2,000 running, that is all they will pay towards the new engine and transmission.

I would say the one thing they could possibly use to weasel out would be a clause they have saying if the damage was caused by another part failing that is NOT covered under the warranty, then they will not cover it. So I am not sure if they would claim an engine failure was due to some $5 part which is not covered, so they are not paying for it.

Nothing else really jumped out at me from the warranty as being unusual. The typical stuff you would expect like if you modify your vehicle at all, race it, ... warranty is void. If it's primary use is a plow truck, rental, ... warranty is void. Warranty is non-transferrable. Will only cover components that break down from normal use (i.e. if you are in an accident and your engine is ruined as a result of the accident, they will not cover it)

So in all, it certainly doesn't hurt if the dealership is throwing it in for free with all their new vehicle purchases. Unfortunately for me I was hoping it would cover some of the more expensive diesel components like EGR, but it doesn't. Not sure I would put a ton of faith in it but it certainly would be worth documenting all maintenance and any other requirements just in case you wanted to try and use it at some point.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

"I would say the one thing they could possibly use to weasel out would be a clause they have saying if the damage was caused by another part failing that is NOT covered under the warranty, then they will not cover it. So I am not sure if they would claim an engine failure was due to some $5 part which is not covered, so they are not paying for it.

This is their "out". Unless there's a manufacturing defect (may be difficult/costly to prove) the typical catastrophic failure will be caused by a failed turbo, egr valve, or other "non covered" part. As for "proving" your "at home" maintenance how are you going to provide a work order or repair ticket? Most folks "hear what they want to hear" or "read what they want to read" so the "do your own maint." with all the caveats are suspect to me.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:23 PM   #12
jasin1

There is a class action suit against Fiat Chrysler right now. Apparently they offered a free lifetime power train warranty on certain 2007-2009 Jeep’s and some other vehicles. When people went in to have something fixed they were denied because there was a powertrain inspection clause that wasn’t disclosed and people were out of luck. I have my new truck warranty but also added Geico mechanical breakdown insurance for a little over $30 a year. It’s up to 100000 miles..I figured it couldn’t hurt.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #13
ultrascott

I work at a Chevy dealership and we offer a lifetime powertrain warranty but there a rules. You have to follow every manufacturer recommended service even down to air filter. If you miss it one time it’s no longer valid. I believe they are just a gimmick to get you into the dealership but if you follow all the services and let’s say you grenade a duramax engine well you’ll get an engine replacement for a $200 deductible. It might not be a new engine though,that’s manager discretion due to cost difference but I’ve seen them but crate motors in many times.
ultrascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:06 AM   #14
Msmith2054

I bought the Lifetime Warranty when we bought my DW new car in 2012. Cost was high, but it was from the manufacturer, Chrysler, on her new 300. Definitely looked at it hard first, but in a nutshell, it was the original bumper to bumper 36/36000 warranty on steroids, with a $100 deductible.
I have had to use it a few times in the 150k+ miles and never an issue. Take it into the dealership, drop it off, pay the $100 and take it home.
Plan on keeping this car until the wheels fall off. Probably have the dealership put them back on, pay the $100, and take it home then too.
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:15 AM   #15
Ken / Claudia

There all about the details, what is good nowadays all repair shops can and should be entering your vehicle into Carfax when doing repairs. Having that information on record should prove maintenance was done.
On my f350 a ford extended warranty is only good at a ford dealer. I do not have a problem with that. You really need to read them well, in mine it lists all types of stuff covered under emissions. Many of that stuff is connected to the exhaust, but the exhaust is not covered when you read the small print.
In the end we as consumers must decide if it is good or bad. Your case/experience and even contract will be different than mine.

I will relate why I paid for an extended warranty on the f350 through ford.
For all of the electronics and computers. That warranty will be up in less than 1,000 miles. Never had a problem with any electronics, but I had near 2800 bucks in front steering parts, wheel bearings and axle u joints replaced. The warranty and my pocket book came within 200 bucks of breaking even.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

"nowadays all repair shops can and should be entering your vehicle into Carfax when doing repairs."

Dealerships should but most independent shops around me do not. I've also had collision body work that I've paid for out of pocket that haven't been reported. IMO Carfax is like any computer program in that it's only as good as the info that's inputted into it. While it's a good tool you can't assume that it's a complete history for a given vehicle.

Tags
warranty