Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2020, 04:44 AM   #21
Danimal713

Wink built fast n cheap? WHAT???

So far the camper has been great, but you can really tell they build them fast and as cheap as possible! We hope to use this investment often as we are beginning to tour colleges for our oldest next year and just take these small weekend trips to get away for a quick recharge!!

I hearya and the fast n cheap comments. We bought a new-to-us 2017 291RK in the beginning of VID season. It was on the side of the road and guy was crazy upside down and a just-furloughed jet engine mechanic. It had only been used 4 times he said. 3 times by first buyers then he only used a 1 week at Myrtle Beach in 2019. It does not look like much wear so it seems quite plausible. The odd thing is all the things I am fixing on a hardly used trailer. 7-8 door hinges had pulled out of the fiberboard backing substrate used for the cabinet frames. Easy fix but still poor quality to start with. Get some tooth picks and wood glue and cut tooth picks to fit in hole. Slather with glue (OK just use enough, not slather- that is for Sweet Baby Ray's on RIBS). Then insert into striped holes and screw back in. The wood gives something for the threads to bite in to and the glue helps set it in so it doesn't pull out again. The seals on the slide sides have all come off from just the little in/out the slide has done. I consulted a dealer and they would have to use a fork lift to remove slide to replace- I didn't even get to cost. I gor 125' of replacement seal that has an adhesive strip to fasten to original seal base then I need to experiment with how long the seal needs to be to not be stressed by in/out as it has to switch directions yet maintain a good seal. The reason I think it was traded in the first year was the caulking on the roof from factory was @%&*! Then someone had added more DAP over some spots but didn't get them all. I have found small amounts of water in areas where it shouldn't be. I used an entire tube of Dicor this past Friday when temps were just under 70 F.
How about the "Extreme Weather Package"? What a joke! Emclose the belly and someone said add a 3" duct shooting into the belly for heat. I tore the entire belly sheet off and added foam pipe insulation and some sheet insulation on inside of frame and a sheet under the belly sheet. I cut it into 6 sections (4 were just over 5' long and 2 at abut 42-43" at the tail). The duct in the 291RK was 2" and dangled behind the rear grey water tank from kitchen. Oh ya it was throwing massive amounts of heat right into the rear of the grey water tank. I rigged a PVC pipe duct to get it around the tank and actually shoot it foward into the middle of the belly. I have enough EteraBond tape on order to completely seal all the seams I made as well as the perimeter. Also done for vermin control. I don't mind the cheap materials so much cause to use better materials and real wood bumps the price up quite a bit. The real issue I have is the shoddy (spelled C R A P P Y) workmanship at the factory and some dealers. The RVision Trail Cruiser 24' Hybrid we had was not as back as the Crossroads 291RK but still had some things. We had 2 of same model over 15 years. but I am quite handy so can fix/add modifications that enhance the outdoor camping we love. We spent about $10K less than what a dealer would have sold this for as a used camper so being handy comes in as a nice bonus. My issue is the lack of quality workmanship.
As for the dogs, we lost our last one in 2019 and decided to go without animals. I have to get my dog fix from neighbor's dogs. That is what I miss the most. The freedom of not being tied down to be able to travel and not have to go back to the camper to "take care of the dogs" is great. And around the house, I am the only one that sheds in the house- and I try not to drool on the floor like our last old lab mix did. I usually only drool at the dinner table and when my wife is around (pauses to wipe some away just from the thought!). Anyway it is a personal choice but what adventures await. We have done several long extended trips in the past and looking to do many more once wife gets retired in 3 more years. We hike a lot in the Smokys we are fortunate enough to live close- I can see first range from our front porch. We have visited 16-17 of the national parks already and want to hit all 62 (current count). We have seen some amazing stuff already and not close to being done (I hope anyway). TTs are a great way to do it. We basically haul our mini house with us to stay in instead of hotels.
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:12 AM   #22
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal713 View Post
So far the camper has been great, but you can really tell they build them fast and as cheap as possible! We hope to use this investment often as we are beginning to tour colleges for our oldest next year and just take these small weekend trips to get away for a quick recharge!!

I hear ya and the fast n cheap comments. We bought a new-to-us 2017 291RK in the beginning of VID season. It was on the side of the road and guy was crazy upside down and a just-furloughed jet engine mechanic. It had only been used 4 times he said. 3 times by first buyers then he only used a 1 week at Myrtle Beach in 2019. It does not look like much wear so it seems quite plausible. The odd thing is all the things I am fixing on a hardly used trailer. 7-8 door hinges had pulled out of the fiberboard backing substrate used for the cabinet frames. Easy fix but still poor quality to start with. Get some tooth picks and wood glue and cut tooth picks to fit in hole. Slather with glue (OK just use enough, not slather- that is for Sweet Baby Ray's on RIBS). Then insert into striped holes and screw back in. The wood gives something for the threads to bite in to and the glue helps set it in so it doesn't pull out again. The seals on the slide sides have all come off from just the little in/out the slide has done. I consulted a dealer and they would have to use a fork lift to remove slide to replace- I didn't even get to cost. I gor 125' of replacement seal that has an adhesive strip to fasten to original seal base then I need to experiment with how long the seal needs to be to not be stressed by in/out as it has to switch directions yet maintain a good seal. The reason I think it was traded in the first year was the caulking on the roof from factory was @%&*! Then someone had added more DAP over some spots but didn't get them all. I have found small amounts of water in areas where it shouldn't be. I used an entire tube of Dicor this past Friday when temps were just under 70 F.
How about the "Extreme Weather Package"? What a joke! Enclose the belly and someone said add a 3" duct shooting into the belly for heat. I tore the entire belly sheet off and added foam pipe insulation and some sheet insulation on inside of frame and a sheet under the belly sheet. I cut it into 6 sections (4 were just over 5' long and 2 at abut 42-43" at the tail). The duct in the 291RK was 2" and dangled behind the rear grey water tank from kitchen. Oh ya it was throwing massive amounts of heat right into the rear of the grey water tank. I rigged a PVC pipe duct to get it around the tank and actually shoot it forward into the middle of the belly. I have enough Eterna Bond tape on order to completely seal all the seams I made as well as the perimeter. Also done for vermin control. I don't mind the cheap materials so much cause to use better materials and real wood bumps the price up quite a bit. The real issue I have is the shoddy (spelled C R A P P Y) workmanship at the factory and some dealers. The R Vision Trail Cruiser 24' Hybrid we had was not as back as the Crossroads 291RK but still had some things. We had 2 of same model over 15 years. but I am quite handy so can fix/add modifications that enhance the outdoor camping we love. We spent about $10K less than what a dealer would have sold this for as a used camper so being handy comes in as a nice bonus. My issue is the lack of quality workmanship.
As for the dogs, we lost our last one in 2019 and decided to go without animals. I have to get my dog fix from neighbor's dogs. That is what I miss the most. The freedom of not being tied down to be able to travel and not have to go back to the camper to "take care of the dogs" is great. And around the house, I am the only one that sheds in the house- and I try not to drool on the floor like our last old lab mix did. I usually only drool at the dinner table and when my wife is around (pauses to wipe some away just from the thought!). Anyway it is a personal choice but what adventures await. We have done several long extended trips in the past and looking to do many more once wife gets retired in 3 more years. We hike a lot in the Smokies we are fortunate enough to live close- I can see first range from our front porch. We have visited 16-17 of the national parks already and want to hit all 62 (current count). We have seen some amazing stuff already and not close to being done (I hope anyway). TTs are a great way to do it. We basically haul our mini house with us to stay in instead of hotels.
Would that be M'urville Tennessee?
Congrats on the new to you trailer and welcome to the forum.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:28 AM   #23
Danimal713

We have been here long nuff it is Mereville (not as spelled Maryville). But it will never be Murvall for us. We weren't born here. LOL
Old 11-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #24
David49

Just bought a new 31' Springdale also. Lived in a 2003 32' Silverback for 6 years, sold it earlier this year and you're right. The older trailer was built what feels more solid. Taken one long trip so far and had good results. Still buying what-nots for the trailer. Best of Luck.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #25
mgreene

Don’t get me wrong, I think Keystone along with other manufacturers make great units. They all utilize every little spot available on the floor plan to make usable space. I’m not sure if the pandemic is what has caused all the small issues to be looked over or not? Every dealer we spoke to around here say they are experiencing the biggest sales they have ever seen! Our camper arrived on the lot one day and we were there the next to buy it! It was still extremely dirty from the transport to the dealer! So I guess maybe they are doing the best they can in these times or maybe my expectations were just too high? We haven’t had any real issues with the main unit, just small add on stuff mostly! Maybe we can get a few long trips behind us next year and really test it out. We were hoping to get to the mountains this month with it but not 100% sure that’s going to happen yet before January. Have fun and BE SAFE!
Old 11-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #26
David49

Same here. Hopefully next year will be able to spend a month off and one on traveling. New mid-sized travel trailers are hard to come by. Bought my Springdale on order and waited almost a month for it to come to Holiday World Katy. Pretty pleased so far.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:21 AM   #27
Danimal713

Well maybe poor quality is due to the demand for units and a rush to produce them. But IMHO, poor quality is never acceptable. I don't mind the cheaper materials as long as they are put together right. We love the layout of our 291RK, but the poor sealing of the seams is one of my big pet-peeves. Water does bad things. We tend to keep things a long time. We had our previous TT for 15 years (1st one wrecked but we liked it so much we purchased same model again). I have owned my 2007 Silverado for 11 years and plan another 2. Take a little more time to do it right and customers might even buy the next rig from you again. I am not sure I would buy a Keystone/Crossroads TT again. If we did, I would have a huge punch list to be completed before I accepted delivery and probably irritate some techs and dealers. But this would be trueno matter what brand we bought. But I like to bring joy to people. Sometimes it is when I show up, more often, when I leave! LOL
Old 11-24-2020, 07:14 AM   #28
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal713 View Post
Well maybe poor quality is due to the demand for units and a rush to produce them. But IMHO, poor quality is never acceptable. I don't mind the cheaper materials as long as they are put together right. We love the layout of our 291RK, but the poor sealing of the seams is one of my big pet-peeves. Water does bad things. We tend to keep things a long time. We had our previous TT for 15 years (1st one wrecked but we liked it so much we purchased same model again). I have owned my 2007 Silverado for 11 years and plan another 2. Take a little more time to do it right and customers might even buy the next rig from you again. I am not sure I would buy a Keystone/Crossroads TT again. If we did, I would have a huge punch list to be completed before I accepted delivery and probably irritate some techs and dealers. But this would be trueno matter what brand we bought. But I like to bring joy to people. Sometimes it is when I show up, more often, when I leave! LOL
Are you from Ontario? Just askin'

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #29
Danimal713

why do you ask eh? ;+D
I was born and raised
in the corn fields just over an hour west of Chicago.

Tags
keystone