Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
MissJordan

Cold weather package, how cold is too cold???

Greetings everyone!

So last year our family took our 2015 Keystone Hideout from Missoula, MT down to Lima, MT for a week long hunting trip during the first week of November. We do have the cold a cold weather package with our trailer. The start of the vacation was fairly warm for the first 3-4 days but still hoovered around freezing or just above it during the course of the day. The night of day 4 we got two feet of snow in a 24 hour period with 25-35 MPH winds. My question is for this coming year, it would be nice to have running water to take a shower every 2-3 days. We had all of our bottled drinks and beer stored underneath the camper and they never once froze over. Temps in SW Montana can dive easily to -20 below for a period of time with constant winds but on average will be around 0 with a light wind chill. I'm thinking since our drinks never froze last year if we left the heat on all day we should be fine. The RV dealer we bought it from said it should be fine until you dip below 10 degrees without a liner around the bottom. What are your thoughts?
MissJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Pull Toy

"Bottled drinks and Beer" may have different freeze rates than H2O. I would put a "Canary in the coal mine" with good old untreated tap water. When it gets slushy, add heat.

Our Alpine has the Artic Pack, and does a good job by pumping heat into the belly of the beast. We actually installed controllable baffled vents for the times we weren't worried about freeze-up. I directed more heat to the living spaces, If in doubt, it's cheaper to go to the local Truck Stop for a shower, than to have to replace plumbing/holding tanks if in doubt.

If your boon docking, pack an extra 20#er or two, and turn the heat up a notch or two.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
Desert185

Wind chill isn't a factor for your trailer. The cooling will be faster, but not cooler than the actual ambient temperature, so don't take the wind into effect.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
hdxbonez

I use my Cougar yearound, but dry camp in it from October to May. This thread highlights my experience in extreme cold. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24434
I dont think I would use my domestic water system in those kind of temps, freezing the system is not worth the risk to me, and dry camping is not too hard to work around. A big issue in those temps is keeping the propane working correctly, here's another thread detailing my experience. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24571 Cold weather camping is not too difficult if one is prepared, and opens up the entire year for using your camper.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
MissJordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbonez View Post
I use my Cougar yearound, but dry camp in it from October to May. This thread highlights my experience in extreme cold. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24434
I dont think I would use my domestic water system in those kind of temps, freezing the system is not worth the risk to me, and dry camping is not too hard to work around. A big issue in those temps is keeping the propane working correctly, here's another thread detailing my experience. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24571 Cold weather camping is not too difficult if one is prepared, and opens up the entire year for using your camper.
Yes you are correct about the propane, it became a large struggle for us when it turned mega cold to keep it going. We took some extra tanks with us and had to trade them out when they were half full. When some of the propane was spent out the system was finicky but worked normal when fuller.
MissJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
gearhead

Are you relying only on the propane furnace for heat?
Do you have a generator? If not, I would get a generator with a large gas tank and enough power to run several electric heaters. Two or 3 drop/trouble lights with 75watt bulbs will help the storage area.
Then set the furnace thermostat to your desired temp.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote