Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
KJJ

Security for new Travel Trailer

Hello all, I'm looking at all the various locks and such available for RVs. I have insurance on it but would prefer not to lose my trailer or the various parts attached to it. Here is my situation and my thoughts on solutions, please comment at will!

Trailer's home is in my driveway in the suburbs. It may spend some unattended time at our vacation home, a mobile home on an acre in Northern Michigan. And we plan to camp in less-populated forest campgrounds, not KOAs.

Not much to do to improve prevent break ins to the trailer itself - 15 seconds at the door with a crowbar will do it. I did order replacement cylinders for the storage compartment doors that will match the main door's key (rvlocksandmore.com), just as much to eliminate a key as to eliminate my CH751 problem.

I'm leaning toward simply running a chain through the LP tanks with a halfway decent lock and doing the same with the pair of 6V batteries, although making a strap for the battery boxes instead of a chain may work better (anyone sell these?). Maybe I will pull the tanks and batteries when I park it at our vacation home Up North.

I think I'm sold on a good coupler lock, one of the box types (MegaHitch) for when the trailer is parked.

On-the-road security options would be hitch pin locks, coupler latch locks, and tire boots. Would have loved the Bolt receiver/latch locks but my TV is a conversion van and it's hard to get the standard hitch pin on, so the best I can do there is probably a lock through the hitch pin clip hole or maybe a Master Lock 1469DAT (the key goes in sideways to the pin). Latch locks look all the same to me, maybe I can get one to match the Master Lock key at least. Tire boots would help in a restaurant/motel situation due to the probably noise to get them off in addition to the MegaHitch.

I'm thinking on alarms too, but will post on that later. Bring on the suggestions/criticisms/ideas/comments!

KJ
KJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

Before the 5er our TT was in a storage facility. I bought a coupler lock ~ never used it sits on the shelf in the garage. I figure if they want it they will take it, as little damage as possible is best IMO.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
GaryWT

I am not sure what type of area you live in but it seems high crime. If someone want a trailer they will get it. I hear a popular way is with a tow truck and they just wrap a couple wires around the A frame, lift and drive away.

Our trailer is in the yard and I just leave a padlock on the hitch. I use the same padlock when I connect to the truck. I usually lock the hitch into the receiver in case we go to the store or whatnot once the trailer is at the campground. Never worry while at the campground. Only lock the door if we leave the campground for the day.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

I posted about this before so, some is repeat. I worked full time auto theft in Portland for 6 years and later trained/taught auto theft at the academy. We recovered over 5,000 stolen vehicles in that time with 6 to 10 officers.
We attended training from CA highway patrol and NICB. Not many TTs or 5th wheels get stolen, in fact very few thru out the USA. Mostly they get stolen thru faud or employees at dealers. Motorhomes is a story different. Think about what it takes to move a RV and connect it so it does not fall away from a felons truck. They need time and a proper tow vehicle/set up to tow it.
Really it only takes a screw driver to get into any RV door or hatch. Many Rvs get broken into, that is common at dealers and storage lots. Besides at home or parked away in the woods. Take the tanks and batteries off is the best prevention.
Yes, anything can be stolen. Likely your RV will get stolen not so much.
Ask the police in your area what they know about RV theft.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
Pmedic4

RV theft issues

My biggest concern is someone stealing the propane cylinders. Not because they are especially valuable, just the jerk who ran out of propane, and feels like taking your is a solution to their forgetting to fill their cylinders before going out on a trip.

I did change our door locks through rvlocksandmore.com, but really it was mostly because we lost a key, wanted a replacement key, and the cost really wasn't that much more. The door keys are so darn common, for 20 different RV's there will probably be at least 2 RV's sharing the same numbered key. Realized this when went to rvlocksandmore, and saw there were only 70 different key codes for RVs.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

For an alarm, this will work only if your home. I got one at HF for about 15 bucks. One remote motion detector with the alarm also remote and use batteries.. I use it it the detached garage at night. I have hard wired alarm when we leave. There is likely better out there but, this is OK if your home at night and someone breaks into it while in the driveway.
I do like hitch locks at have one for my boat as they are stolen for parts. All locks can be defeated some it takes more time than others.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Bottom line: as Ken/Claudia has stated, if they want it they are gonna take it. I hate to say it, but its too easy to get "pass" keys anymore and more people who have no business having them do. Chaining your propane cylinders may save them if the next guy's aren't. Compartments are just a screwdriver away from being popped open so it really doesn't matter what lock is on them. Only real saving grace is the pass keys will unlock the entry door handle but NOT THE DEADBOLT. I advise all my customers who use public storage to deadbolt the door. I will deadbolt at the campground too. I do have a kingpin lock, but rarely use it. Fiver is in my backyard behind a fence that isn't easily opened, and I have to say in all my years I have yet to see someone steal a trailer at the campground.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

We live in "northern Michigan" in an area filled with "seasonal homes". Many are uninhabited most of the year and only used a month or two. Many are RV's and I have not yet heard of anyone stealing an RV in this area. Occasionally one is vandalized, propane tanks stolen, doors kicked in, windows broken and contents "removed". In most remote areas, having an audible alarm wouldn't benefit you, there's nobody close enough to hear it. Changing locks on storage doors may seem like a "sensible thing" to do, but in reality, a common screwdriver twisted in the key slot will unlock (muscle) almost every one that I've seen installed on storage doors. The main entry door is essentially a "foam core with a thin fiberglass exterior". Anyone really determined to get in can put a fist (or boot) through the door, so adding a "high security lock" is more a "psychologic upgrade" than a "physical upgrade". That wooden 4x4 chock under your tire (just beneath the door) serves as an excellent "window entry tool" to smash the window and reach in to unlock the door. In other words, if someone wants in, they'll get in.

Locking boots on wheels? My opinion, that's overkill to the max.... A coupler lock would be sufficient for preventing most "wanna-be" burglars from hauling your RV, and any "professional burglar" wouldn't even be slowed down by wheel locks. But again, I haven't heard of any being "removed from their location" since I've lived in northern Michigan.

There's a lot of difference living in Waterford and living in Waters. Up north, we don't have nearly the population and nowhere near the crime rates that you'll find "downstate". Check with the local law enforcement where your seasonal home is located and ask for their advice. I'd suspect you'll find they suggest just locking the trailer, removing "visible encouragement" and relying on your insurance company to protect the loss (if it ever should occur).

It's been my experience that after increasing security by installing stronger physical barriers causes more damage to the trailer (if it is broken into) and increases the monetary losses rather than prevents the breakin.

If someone wants your "stuff" they'll find a way to get it. Making it harder often just increases your frustration "after the fact" without protecting the "stuff" you wanted to protect.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
Pull Toy

As an ex LEO....

Don't overthink it! "Locks only keep honest people honest..." Obviously if you make it harder than the next guy... you win, but If you're really worried about it ... take it home!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I use a hitch and coupler lock along with chaining the propane tanks and dead bolting the door.......and it's in a locked storage facility.

Traveling we use all the above knowing that anyone that really wants something will take it. I thinks it's as much about peace of mind as anything. Doesn't cost much and feels like you are doing "something" to deter a thief.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:11 AM   #11
the sodfather

I've got a Master Lock coupler lock and it gives me peace of mind. I went to Home Depot and bought a Master Lock cable lock for my propane tanks. My TT is stored in a "secure" storage build facility with cameras everywhere. Good enough for me.
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
KJJ

I agree with most all the responses so far. I tend to overthink things a lot, but then go over what I learned and pick what seems most appropriate, cost vs risk. Maybe doing nothing is the answer, maybe alarms and LoJack. Probably somewhere in between. Here is my "analysis".

What I am looking to do is make it just a bit harder and/or louder for the opportunistic thief, or the grab & run thief. The experienced thief with the right tools will still get what he wants.

So, when parked at a restaurant or other point of interest that would include the guy with a pickup looking for some batteries or perhaps the guy looking to grab a new trailer to pick over later and/or upgrade his hunting cabin. So toss some chains around the batteries. The little locks for the coupler latch and hitch pin might increase the noise level a bit or make a newbie thief walk on. This is where the tire boot might ratchet up the noise level a lot more for the less casual thief.

At the campsite or left Up North the chained LP tanks and batteries will slow down the casual thief. The CH751 key change may help against the guy who knows about that sadness. The decent coupler lock should keep those same guys from grabbing the whole rig.

I like the idea of an alarm that would trigger when the 7 pin is disconnected from the TV, and maybe switchable for entry/vibration. And real loud, I do have a couple of year-rounders 500-1000 feet away from our vacation trailer.

And Cadillac would be something like Linxup, that will alert your smartphone if the trailer moves outside of a specified area, and track it too.

KJ
KJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #13
Ken / Claudia

My opinion regarding having a RV disconnected and stolen from the tow vehicle while parked for a short time in public. It will not happen. Really think about what needs to be done and how long. A person would steal them both while connected and drive away. That could be very easy depending on your truck. Is that likely, still not so much. When we look at crime, this case rv theft. As cops at least me, understand the WHY part. If you know the likely reason for a theft, not just making guesses. You can prevent a theft. With a RV is the theft done to take it to travel around on vacation, sell it, part it out, take it into another country, Take it into the woods and live in it or make a meth lab in it. The last 2 maybe.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #14
swanson

For the hitch on the truck I use a grade 5 bolt/nut. You must use tools to unhook your hitch.
swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #15
mikell

I have cabin a small town in Northern Michigan and every 4-5 years somebody breaks in and there's nothing to really steal. This was the winter they took blankets and sheets and broke out every window. Nearly $25K later insurance replaced the windows they replaced after the last B&E.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #16
gearhead

When stopping for lunch I try to park where I can see it. Otherwise I'm not sweating it.
Every RV dealer has a key that will open any RV. So everyone that ever worked at a RV dealer has a key. I run a cable through the generator and air compressor in the truck bed. I always have Elsie in my pocket.
Ruger LC9
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:15 AM   #17
Travelingcircus

If you are concerned with someone stealing the unit while in storage, make it as difficult as possible;
Use a coupler lock
Lock the tongue latch
Lower stabilizers
Extend slide outs
If anything taking these precautions may give the thief a second thought.
Or find a more secure location to store your unit.😉
Travelingcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #18
Desert185

Pull the tanks and batteries and install a tracking device that alerts you when the trailer is moved and shows its position. Maybe install a game camera nearby (IR at night, no flash) for vandalism...and insure it. Too bad booby traps are out of the question. Thieves should get what they deserve.

Elsie, Smith, Herr Glock or Springer can be comforting while you're at the trailer.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:14 AM   #19
Larry1013

The biggest key to preventing theft is to make it time consuming to make the trailer moveable. The longer it takes a thief to hook up and go, will make them think twice about taking it.

Along with mentioned items, another idea would be individual cables, such as use for bicycles, through each wheel and secured around the axle or spring with the lock on the backside of the tire.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote