Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #21
bitten

Keeping trailer power on at home

How do you store in between trips? Summertime it could get real hot in there. Watch the weather and open/close the windows? Close the blinds? Open the two windows that open out from the bottom?
bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #22
Ken / Claudia

My rvs are kept at home on large driveway. Plugged into a 30 amp rv outlet. Batteries switched on a day or 2 before trip and left on several days after return. Keep all blinds closed to prevent fade of inside stuff. Open awning once awhile to dry it out. Have vent covers on vents and leave open fully year round unless snowing. Step inside when I have time to check stuff. Sometimes run heater or A/C. On warm days if I have time I open both doors to get more air thru it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #23
bitten

Batteries disconnected to keep from over-charging?
Old 04-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Your Cougar has a 3 level charger. If it is operating properly (and there is no reason to believe it won't) it will go into "trickle charge" once the battery (batteries) are charged. You won't "overcharge" them, but you should check the electrolyte level on a regular basis. I have 6 volt batteries and check mine monthly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #25
Mike484

I think most people leave their RVs plugged in while in storage. At the storage facility I'm at you can look down the line of RVs and I think all of them are plugged in.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #26
Ken / Claudia

If everything is working right the over charging of batteries while plugged in is a thing of past rvs and yes it used to happen. But, I still as said turn the battery switch on before a trip a day or so ahead, same time turn on the refer. That way if the batteries are alittle low on charge it will charge them. Leave it on after to have batteries charged up again before turning the battery switch off. I check the water level several times a year or more.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #27
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
I think most people leave their RVs plugged in while in storage. At the storage facility I'm at you can look down the line of RVs and I think all of them are plugged in.

I wish I had power when in storage.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #28
Model A Driver

I keep mine at home but keep it on a trickle charge when not using it. When we are making it ready to roll we plug it in.
2000 Damon Challenger MH - Totaled by wrecker driver
Model A Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #29
bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Your Cougar has a 3 level charger. If it is operating properly (and there is no reason to believe it won't) it will go into "trickle charge" once the battery (batteries) are charged. You won't "overcharge" them, but you should check the electrolyte level on a regular basis. I have 6 volt batteries and check mine monthly.

Is there a list some place of exactly what is installed in my 28RLS? And where everything is installed?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

There should be a "build sheet" that itemizes each component that was installed including brand, model and serial number. The build sheet won't say "where" it is in your unit since the build sheet is a form filled out by hand.

Some manufacturers don't supply this build sheet, and some dealers will pull them and store it in the customers file.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #31
Festus2
Site Team

Bugbitten -
There should be a "package" of various paperwork somewhere in your TT. Included in this paper work is a "build sheet" which lists items like the microwave, stove, fridge, converter, furnace, HW heater,etc. along with the make and model number of each.

I've never seen a list of these items or any other ones that give their location. The whereabouts of most are obvious but no so on others - such as the water pump and converter to name two. Some are hidden behind one or more panels and inside cupboards.

Best to find out where they are all located so that in case of some "emergency", repairs and maintenance you will know where to find them.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #32
Festus2
Site Team

To add what Chuck wrote ..........
The location of most of the items on the build sheet is obvious but there are some items, such as the water pump and converter which are mostly hidden from view and can be found behind one or more removable panels or tucked away in a cupboard somewhere.

Best to find them all so that in case of a needed quick repair and future maintenance you'll be able to find them quickly.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:09 AM   #33
SADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
If everything is working right the over charging of batteries while plugged in is a thing of past rvs and yes it used to happen. But, I still as said turn the battery switch on before a trip a day or so ahead, same time turn on the refer. That way if the batteries are alittle low on charge it will charge them. Leave it on after to have batteries charged up again before turning the battery switch off. I check the water level several times a year or more.
If your batteries are in a disconnected state and your fridge is off - only turning them on a few days before.... Then why do you plug in the RV at all while in storage?
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #34
Ken / Claudia

I could leave it unplugged but, it is not a problem or much cost to have it plugged in. If I know of another trip soon after the last I do leave the refer on. If I go want to watch TV, turn on the stereo, open awning, put slide out. They all work with the battery switch off. Bottom line by turning off the battery switch I limit the drain on it. While having it plugged in I can get into it and turn on what I need when I need it. If stored off site I might change that thinking.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #35
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I wish I had power when in storage.

If I had to store where there was no electrical, I'd very seriously look into at least a small solar system, a battery disconnect, and the solar charger wired directly for charging even with the rig disconnect open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADLY View Post
If your batteries are in a disconnected state and your fridge is off - only turning them on a few days before.... Then why do you plug in the RV at all while in storage?

Lead-acids self-discharge in storage at a slow rate even when doing absolutely nothing. They also handle cold temps (when most of us have the units in storage off-season) better when fully charged. For most units stored only a few months, this isn't a huge deal, but can be problematic and speed battery failure once they're older and weaker.

It's a treat to be able to store our fiver at home with electrical... Well, except when I need to get it out of the "north forty" after precip that turns the ground to mud. Haha. Someday I'll build a huge barn/garage/workshop...