Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
jamesmc321

Towing and Equalizer WD System

morning all -

Still new to the forum and of course towing a travel trailer (had a popup for years) so have a question and not sure where to post...

I currently have a Sierra 1500 Crew 4x4 Z71 with trailer package, brake controller, Air-lift air bags, 2" level in front (not the HD model though), towing a Summerland 2800bhgs (about 7500 lbs loaded, estimate).

I purchased the Equalizer 12000 system from the dealer (that way I had plenty of support in the WD setup) however when I took delivery everything was already all setup and 'adjusted' on the trailer and WD system. From the companies website it says to load up both vehicles and then setup hitching. When I mentioned that to the dealer, they said "no your fine we have it adjusted correctly"

Question I have is, it seems like now that we have all of 'stuff' in the camper plus the stuff in the truck box (chairs, some wood, etc...) the truck just feels really uncomfortable at times towing; almost like my front is like on a pillow.

Is this a sign that my WD system needs to be re-adjusted? I try to make sure my starting height in the rear is about the same as it was prior to hooking up everything (with my air bags), butttt..... still get that uncomfortable feeling.

Any advice is appreciated.

James
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
hankaye

jamesmc321, Howdy;

Sounds like you are using 2 systems to achieve 'balance' and they are
in conflict. Equ-lizer is based on a fixed height for both tow and towed
vehicles. Set up your truck for a trip, load everything into it that you
would have in the truck, set your air bag to the ride you want, and write
it down somewhere, Then take out the set-up instructions and follow them
to set up the hitch and the L brackets for the trailer. Air bags (IMO), truly
screw-up the system for equ-lizer system. If you continue to experience
an uncomfortable ride call the folks at equ-lizer and ask the experts.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
maverick_415

Hey James, I just got the same WD hitch myself. If you feel like the front end is like riding on a pillow I would take it all apart and set it up from scratch again. This will help give you an understanding of exactly how it works, how to fine tune adjust it and give you piece of mind.

Check EQ's website under EQ support. There is a lot of helpful information including entering your measurement specs and recommendations on where to mount your hitch ball on shank. Where you mount the hitch ball on shank has to do with the measurement from the ground to inside top of receiver tube and coupler height above ground with trailer parallel to ground. Enter in these two measurements on EQ's website and they will tell you where to mount it.

To get the correct amount of weight distribution depends on how many washers you put between the shank and hitch ball attachment. I have four on mine right now and it rides perfect. If needed you can also adjust how high or low the brackets sit for the control arms and that will also apply more or less WD but the fine tuning adjustment comes from the washers. Hope this information helps.

Here is the link: http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...shanksizes.php
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
jamesmc321

thanks for the responses.

I had a feeling it was the WD system.

hankaye: I dont put any air in the bags until after the fact (to try and get the level correct as it is seeming that they didn't adjust the WD correctly).

Well hey... I guess I know what I am doing in the Spring (outside of un-winterizing the thing)
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
Fishhawk

James
As you have fiqured out already
There is no way the Eq hitch can be properly set up
Without the tow vehicle being on site and involved

The factory offers a great step by step procedure in the owners manual , plus the folks at Equalizer will answer questions and guide you
as needed

My experience with this hitch is
If you are willing to read the instructions and give yourself an hour or so to do the setup correctly
You will be rewarded with a trouble free hitch and easy handling tows

Good camping and safe towing to you!!!
Enjoy!
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Razor303

I own the Equalizer hitch as well, the setup is really easy if you follow the directions, I just got back from a 1400 miles of towing the Bullet for the first time with the equalizer and had no sway or pillowy feeling at all, despite dealing with a 45+ mph crosswind for about the last 200 miles.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps482ed297.jpg
Previous setup's
2005 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi AWD 3.92 axle, Air Lift 1000 air springs
2012 Salem Cruise Lite 261BH
1999 Coleman pop-up
Tent
Razor303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Camper1650

I just upgraded to the 4pt system as well and it took me some time to get it narrowed down.

I reiterate what others have said, in that you want to go over it again from scratch.

I have airlift bags on my truck and I took all the air out and setup the hitch the first time with no air. I got it set almost perfect using their instructions and I put about 35psi in the air bags. I took the combination out for a quick drive and wasn't comfortable. I ended up deflating the bags to about 20psi which in actuality puts more weight on the bars. Adding air, essentially is the same scenario as raising the tongue of the trailer up using the tongue jack. If you have too much air, it will decrease the effectiveness of the hitch.

When I went down to 20psi, it worked out perfect for us. I don't have an onboard air gauge with Airlift's compressor system but, I plan on adding that over the winter to use next season. This way I can control the air right from the cab of the truck.

Good luck, it will be well worth it once it is setup perfectly. You'll be alot more relaxed while towing and ready to go once you arrive at your destination.
Camper1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

As has been said several times already, 1) the equal I zer is a great hitch and I love mine, 2) it has to be set up correctly and it takes a bit of time. It certainly sounds like yours is not set up right. As far as the air bags, I had Air Lift 1000's and they worked great too. Mine did not raise height any significant amount; less than 1/2" I'm sure. The did expand inside the coils on my Ram 1500 and stiffen the ride. I'm not sure how, or how much, they could/would affect the actual weight distribution of the hitch once set correctly. Mine didn't seem to have any effect, they just really helped with the bounce and sway.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote