Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
Arcticbouncer

Brake controller mounting location

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra crew cab 1500 and I have about a hundred questions but I figured start small. I have a prodigy P2 controller , the wiring is all done and I just can't come up with a great location to mount it. Where did you guys mount your controllers and how often do you use them while the trailer is in tow. The bad news is my trailer (2015 bullet premiere 31bhpr ) is pushing the limits of the truck.... But I am looking for something a little bigger maybe a 2500 d/a. Been rolling through the forums and haven't seen this addressed yet.
Arcticbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
bsmith0404

the typical location is under the dash either on the right or left of the steering column. You have to test fit and make sure it's not going to become a knee knocker.

If you do step up to a 2500, they have the brake controller already and it's incorporated into a dash switch on the lower left.....very nice!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticbouncer View Post
Where did you guys mount your controllers and how often do you use them while the trailer is in tow. The bad news is my trailer (2015 bullet premiere 31bhpr ) is pushing the limits of the truck.... But I am looking for something a little bigger maybe a 2500 d/a. Been rolling through the forums and haven't seen this addressed yet.
My Prodigy is mounted to the right of the steering column on the underside of the dashboard. It is within easy reach and mounted at an angle recommended in the Users Manual. I very seldom use it "manually" while towing. Prior to setting out on each trip and after every hook up, I test it manually.

There have been hundreds of threads and a greater number of posts on this forum dealing with the question "Can my tow vehicle pull this TT?" Most of the posts have specified what the tow vehicle and the RV are. You may not be able to find threads/posts about your exact TV and TT but if you were to post a specific question by starting a new thread regarding your present towing situation in the Towing Section of the forum, you'll be certain to get responses.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

My prodigy is also to the right of my column under the dash at an easy to view angle. And like Festus, I test it each time I hook up. We have some decent hills out west and I will use the manual feature on some steep descents.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Arcticbouncer

I knew you guys would chime in and help out, and the only bad news is you have the same location I was thinking about . It just seems awkward to get to if something starts going bad. All the way down by your right knee and having the manual lever located on the bottom of the controller, I guess it is what it is . I just got back from dealerships and as much as I would like my truck to be the perfect TV for our TT I don't think it will happen after doing the math and reading all the info in other threads. I guess I would rather a truck payment over the possibility of hurting a family member or anyone else.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

My brake controllers have been in that location since my first one in 1989. Since it seems like your right hand is the one that changes radio stations, gets the drink out of the console, it was a natural place. I also have the gauges for the airbags on the right side, centered under the dash so again my right hand makes that adjustment.

On the left side of the steering column is the transmission cooler fan switch, fog lights and running board lights and my favorite switch- train horns. I also have 5 gauges on the pillar, so I do have a lot going on when I tow.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
LittleJoe

It needs to be where you can quickly access it should you ever need trailer only brakes
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Arcticbouncer

So I did a silly thing... I sat in the truck and looked around at places where it could be mounted even if I have to cut the dash to give the unit some bump protection ( I have 2 dogs that ride with me when we travel and they have been known to bump into things ) . If you remove the ash tray / change bin the prodigy basket mount fits perfect in that hole, drilled a small hole in the back so the wires could slide in nice and neat a 4 screws through the top to mount and the controller is mounted about 7 inches higher and 3/4 recessed into the dash, I think I found a nice comfortable location to mount it . Bear with me trying to upload a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	7036