Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #41
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
My experience is different than yours and the same as Ram189's in that I find backing in a 5th wheel to be easier and less "touchy" than a TT. Having said that, I have had far more practice with a 5th wheel than a TT so that may be part of the reason.

Like others have said, on some days "you have it" and on others, you don't. Jupiter is aligned with Mars and the "backing in Gods are with you".

Here in BC, it is against the law to drive with a hand-held device, such as a cell phone, in your hand. So I am wondering if Dudley Do Right might hand me a ticket if I were to be communicating with my wife with a cell phone in one hand while backing into a campsite.
With all the 'hands free' stuff available today, that shouldn't be a problem, should it Festus?

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #42
CPE

Backing up

We always use walkie - talkies for backing or pulling in close quarters;(hands bottom of wheel) . Also always use talkies in large stores or malls. Cell phone was turned off when I retired!
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #43
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE View Post
We always use walkie - talkies for backing or pulling in close quarters;(hands bottom of wheel) . Also always use talkies in large stores or malls. Cell phone was turned off when I retired!
I do believe in team work, but when it comes to backing into a space I am the only driver. DW only makes sure some idiot kid doesn't zip behind me on my bike. There will be times when you don't have a spotter, I can deal with it, can you??
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #44
ImTravis

Wife and I are slowly getting better, but we use the walkie talkies, and when I bought my trailer, I had them install a wireless camera for the back (as a concern of mine when backing in), which helps me be able to see her if she gets behind me and out of mirror view. I also have been using the backup camera in the truck with the lines to let me know how my wheels are angled for maneuvering. I've noticed our 30RIPR is a *LOT* more forgiving in maneuvering than my old JaySport 10..

The walkie talkies have been awesome for backing in though.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #45
65aircooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE View Post
Cell phone was turned off when I retired!
Best phrase I ever read regarding cell phones!!! As far as backing trailers, all has been said by the above posters so I will keep my trap shut
One very important thing is, if you use a spotter, and that spotter happens to be the DW, make sure you both use the same lingo, for example rear bumper as opposed to "the silver thingy in the back". It'll save you both from a horrible first day at the camp site... ask me how I know
Old 10-24-2014, 05:24 AM   #46
gkainz

I did make an interesting observation the other day about backing trailers .... with over 40 years of towing and backing, with a multitude of trucks, tractors, construction, farm, and RV trailers.... using an ATV to back a utility trailer made me look like it was my first time ever!
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #47
Ram189

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
I did make an interesting observation the other day about backing trailers .... with over 4o years of towing and backing, with a multitude of trucks, tractors, construction, farm, and RV trailers.... backing a utility trailer with an ATV made me look like it was my first time ever!
The smaller the trailer the harder to back it up I think. I had a small garden tractor I used to have a trailer on and could not get it backed up to save my life.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram189 View Post
The smaller the trailer the harder to back it up I think. I had a small garden tractor I used to have a trailer on and could not get it backed up to save my life.
Same with me, I usually just stop, go behind the trailer and lift it up to "point it in the right direction" it's frustrating backing a short wheelbase trailer with a short wheelbase tractor. On my big tractor, I've got an attachment for the front end loader so I can put a ball on it and go forward to back trailers into place. Much easier then going backwards LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #49
chuckster57
Site Team

try moving trailers big and small, bumper pull and fifth wheel/ goose neck all week with a forklift, and then back in your 30' fiver with a CC,LB on the weekend

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #50
gkainz

I'm very familiar with the small trailer PITA syndrome! We had some trailer mounted air compressors that were only about 6 feet from pintle hitch to rear bumper. Those dirty little devils would jack-knife in the blink of an eye.

Edited my original post for clarity - it was using the ATV to back the little trailer up that added an odd sensation - pulling handlebars instead of a steering wheel might have been the oddity.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:02 AM   #51
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
I did make an interesting observation the other day about backing trailers .... with over 40 years of towing and backing, with a multitude of trucks, tractors, construction, farm, and RV trailers.... using an ATV to back a utility trailer made me look like it was my first time ever!
X2 on that! It jackknives fast too. All of a sudden the ATV rear tire is trying to climb up the trailer tongue.
My driveway is like a boat ramp up from the street. Start backing in and all I see is concrete. Adjust the mirrors up and all I see is sky. After dark its just a guess where the trailer/driveway is. DW usually helps but she wasn't available last time and I put it in the grass. I might need some reflectors to temporarily stick in the ground. The fact that I'm in short supply of patience doesn't help.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #52
Barbell

Best investment we ever made was a set of cheap walkie-talkies. Now she doesn't have to be where I can see her in order to get directions. No need for yelling and arm-waving either. As many others have said, use the same directions you used to get to Carnegie Hall; PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #53
SummitPond

General Backing Guidelines?

I've read through many posts and have found some good info, but I have a general question:

Is there a guideline for determining how far you need to pull past a parking spot based on the positions of your TV's wheelbase and the TT's axle? Perhaps some equation that you plug the spacing of the axles into?

I have done the parking lot practice runs (and will continue to do so I am certain for many moons to come) but I can't seem to figure out the best place to start the backing up from to best position trailer into the desired slot. I eventually get where I want to, but I figure there must be a more efficient way to go about the process.

I recall my grandfather had a spare hitch on the front of his TV and he used that arrangement to back up into tight spaces; I was only a kid at the time and didn't pay much attention otherwise. Does anyone have or know of a setup like this?

My TV is a 2012 Ford F-250 SuperDuty with crew cab and full length bed; the TT is a Premier Bullet 19FBPR.

Thanks.
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team

Every wheelbase length when coupled with a trailer of a given length will back and turn differently, so what works for my 158" wheelbase with a 31' fifth wheel won't work for someone with a 172" wheelbase and the same trailer, nor will it work for someone with the same truck and a 34' fifth wheel.

So, what works for one person may not even be close for you.

What I would do, if I were you, is to go back to the parking lot, line up everything as straight as you can. mark where the truck rear tires are, and then back up to a spot that's 90 degrees from your starting point. Then stop, get out, look at the distances, angles, locations and make note of how far past the "ending location" the rear tires of the tow vehicle were located.

Then pull straight again and try to replicate what you just did. After you can replicate the distances and get the same angle, then try it in a different part of the parking lot. Next, try it at home in your drive, then at the campground. As you gain experience, you'll be able to judge the distance to pull forward without as much "mental challenge".

At first, find out how your rig responds, then use that "known response" to position yourself in the same position and use the rig's "known response" to get you where you need to be.

Good luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #55
hankaye

gearhead, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
X2 on that! It jackknives fast too. All of a sudden the ATV rear tire is trying to climb up the trailer tongue.
My driveway is like a boat ramp up from the street. Start backing in and all I see is concrete. Adjust the mirrors up and all I see is sky. After dark its just a guess where the trailer/driveway is. DW usually helps but she wasn't available last time and I put it in the grass. I might need some reflectors to temporarily stick in the ground. The fact that I'm in short supply of patience doesn't help.
For a situation like yours, I'd recommend getting a hitch installed on the
front of your tow vehicle or your ATV (if it's hefty enough), and push
it up your driveway. Surprising how easy it is when you can see right in
front of you but you will need a spotter to help with the back end of the
trailer.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #56
SummitPond

Thanks, John.

I'll give your suggestions a try. Maybe not this weekend as weather is predicted to be wet and lousy (but maybe not by Michigan standards), but soon.

Ken
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #57
instymp

Practice & time, you will be surprised where & how easy it will be to stick it anywhere.
The hardest thing to back up is a lawn trailer on the back of a riding lawnmower!
I put our 5er & boat in places that people can't believe. After having to back up 100+ yards around sharp corners, up & down steep hills, just to get it in our driveway here in the mountains & I am dumb! It's just getting used to it. You will get it!!
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #58
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
I've read through many posts and have found some good info, but I have a general question:

Is there a guideline for determining how far you need to pull past a parking spot based on the positions of your TV's wheelbase and the TT's axle? Perhaps some equation that you plug the spacing of the axles into?

I have done the parking lot practice runs (and will continue to do so I am certain for many moons to come) but I can't seem to figure out the best place to start the backing up from to best position trailer into the desired slot. I eventually get where I want to, but I figure there must be a more efficient way to go about the process.

I recall my grandfather had a spare hitch on the front of his TV and he used that arrangement to back up into tight spaces; I was only a kid at the time and didn't pay much attention otherwise. Does anyone have or know of a setup like this?

My TV is a 2012 Ford F-250 SuperDuty with crew cab and full length bed; the TT is a Premier Bullet 19FBPR.

Thanks.
Every situation will be different depending on how wide the space is and how much pace you have to maneuver the TV. If you have to go in sharp due to other obstacles or can you take a nice easy round approach. As mentioned, the parking lot is still a good place to practice, but vary your approach. Learn to cut it sharp as well as taking a gradual turn in. Know how sharp you can go before you are in danger of making contact between trailer and TV.

As for the hitch on the front, I have a front mount receiver hitch on my truck for bike racks. e-trailer sells them, fairly cheap, but they are only rated for 500 lbs hitch weight. Not many trailers you can hook up that aren't at least 500 lbs on the nose.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #59
msp2jxr

When I switched to a 5ver a few years back I used this site also for advice and never looked back... Two of the best things mentioned for me was to stay centered in road you are going back off of. Then when you think you have pulled forward enough to back in pull ahead another 20 feet. The 20 feet further ahead was wonder advice for a beginner like me... Hope this helps you as much as it helped me...
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #60
instymp

And we used the walkie talkies also but I guess thats old fashioned now I hear, many use their cell phones.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote