Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
TFMCKANNA

Backing & maneuvering

Being kinda new at this 5'er stuff I've learned to tow pretty well. But, don't laugh, I kinda suck at the backing up phase. Always need help. Tips, suggestions, comments??? Also, am I supposed to use the "maneuvering" hitch position/mode when backing? thanks.
TFMCKANNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Practice, practice, practice. I've been towing 5ers since '89 and if I don't move the trailer for months it takes me a couple of minutes to relearn.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
BirchyBoy

I read somewhere that putting your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, instead of the top, is supposed to help out. I tried it and it didn't feel natural, but maybe you would like it.

Also, don't be afraid to go to a big parking lot somewhere and do some practicing. You might get a few looks but whatevs!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
GunDoc

When using the “bottom of the wheel” method, you turn the wheel in the same direction you want the trailer to go, as opposed to the opposite when your hand is on the top of the wheel. The most import thing to remember is to use small corrections. Use ground guides-two if possible, one in front, one in the rear. Pull forward and straighten out if you have room and need to. Most folks get in trouble by imputing too much correction and getting way off of the mark.
GunDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDoc View Post
When using the “bottom of the wheel” method, you turn the wheel in the same direction you want the trailer to go, as opposed to the opposite when your hand is on the top of the wheel. The most import thing to remember is to use small corrections. Use ground guides-two if possible, one in front, one in the rear. Pull forward and straighten out if you have room and need to. Most folks get in trouble by imputing too much correction and getting way off of the mark.
10-4!!! - take your time - don't be afraid to pull up to get a better angle -don't worry about the 'looky Lous' - and get out and look. Take the time to walk around your rig and look for obstacles, low branches, etc. The guy sitting in the lawn chair with an amused look on his face is no expert either! Did I mention TAKE YOUR TIME? I have 2 1/2 million miles in a semi and sometimes...well, the trailer seems to just have a mind of its own.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
bsmith0404

The mistake I made when first learning was to get to close to the opposite side. For example, if I was going to back in to a spot on my left, I would stay far to the right to give me a better angle. The problem with that is you end up to close to obstacles on the right and don't have room to maneuver the truck.

If you have a Bluetooth, it works great to have a spotter behind you call you. Works much better than hand signals or yelling.

Just remember to anticipate and start your counter steer early, the 5er takes a bit to respond, but when it finally does, it'll come around pretty quick.

As someone else mentioned, if you have a parking lot go practice. Through a couple 2x8s down and see if you can back the tires onto them from different angles. Once you get so you can hit them at will, you'll be able to hit your mark in any campsite.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
kellydog98

The rest are right, practice, practice, practice. That being said...taking the rig out for practice might be more of a chore and you won't be inclined to do. Therefore try smaller 'reverse' manuervers, i.e., if you have a riding lawn mower with a little wagon attachment.Place your 2x4's on the lawn and back it in the middle. A utility trailer, or even a boat trailer becomes good practice. Just go out and back em' up. I'm not a fan of the hands up or down. However, I'm always a fan of taking my time. And that guy in the lawn chair...if you ask chances are he will help. Good luck and remember that your mirrors are your best friends.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
cabinfever

One thing I always do. First, be sure you fit where you are going. 99.9% of the time I back to the drivers side. Then keep the side you can see, the drivers side, tight to where you are going and the other side will take care of itself. Also visualize a line on the ground in the arc you need to follow backing in. Mostly do not be afraid, or embarrassed, to "wave off" an attempt and pull forward and start over. I think it is harder to try and fix a bad angle than pulling forward and starting over.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
Western Traveler

My advice center up as best you can and Back Slowly...molasses slow! I am a hand at the top of wheel guy. When backing Left to steer right, right to steer left. Get out and look occasionally and pull forward a touch to re-center when needed...back slowly!

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
sagebel

Lots of great stuff here. Make sure your spotter knows your plan and how to communicate. If possible use someone that has experience backing and they can coach you through the wheel movements needed to achieve your goal.

Our process is that we both walk the site together and I explain to my spotter (DW) my plan. She knows that I won't move unless I can see her in the mirror and she knows that if she can't see me in the mirror I can't see her. I also understand that she might see something on the other side of the trailer and that she needs to move to take a look. I just stop and wait. We have yet to get upset with one another. It just take patience. Most of the time I just back into a spot and she asks why she is even spotting.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
outwest

I've tried the hand at the bottom of the wheel thing, but like Birchboy it felt weird to me, too. It does help keep it straight in your head, though, if you're new to backing up.

One that has helped me is to look at the target destination and visualize what the arc would be like if I was pulling out of it. Then, try to follow the path of that arc when backing up.

The one I have huge trouble with is the depth of field in the mirror and how far away I am from the space. Makes it tough to back into it if you're not sure if you're lined up or in front of it. Like others have said, practice practice practice and have at least one spotter who knows to not only look at both sides of the rig, but also to keep an eye out for any overhead obstacles.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

I usually get out and look, formulating my plan as to where the slides are going to end up and such. Then I just work slow. My wife can't spot for me as she is in charge of keeping the 3 cats in the cab. If I ask her, she will put them in carriers so I can open the door at look back. I have NO SHAME in getting out as many times as I need to assess the situation as I back in.

If you can have a spotter, that's great, I learned using my mirrors.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Desert185

I think having a spotter is highly desirable.

We have radios to talk to each other (besides practice, communications is the key), and you might not have cell coverage.

I always walk the parking spot before backing.

Try to back on the driver's side, but start far enough on the left to allow TV swing clearance on the right side while backing in.

Watch the trailer wheels as you back up, as that's where the trailer is going.

If driving a stick and not on asphalt, use 4L, if 4WD, so you can control speed better. Its also easier on the clutch, particularly when backing up a slope. 4L also works well with an auto.

Other than asking for help spotting, ignore the peanut gallery.

Enjoy favorite beverage.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:49 AM   #14
PT RV`er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
One thing I always do. First, be sure you fit where you are going. 99.9% of the time I back to the drivers side. Then keep the side you can see, the drivers side, tight to where you are going and the other side will take care of itself. Also visualize a line on the ground in the arc you need to follow backing in. Mostly do not be afraid, or embarrassed, to "wave off" an attempt and pull forward and start over. I think it is harder to try and fix a bad angle than pulling forward and starting over.
Your exactly correct. I`ll back in and pull up several times before I`m satisfied. I don`t think anybody can hit the mark the first time. Although I might be wrong.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 AM   #15
jsmith948

Even if you CAN hit the spot in one try, unless you were able to back straight in (unlikely), it's good gto pull up and "unload" the suspension and tires.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
badercubed

Repeat posts on two message boards...

Usually it is just me backing in and I prefer to go in on the drivers side if possible. I pick a few spots that I want to hit with my trailer tires and watch with my head turned out the driver side door window (obviously I am continually looking in other directions too). I find that if I hit the spots I was thinking of I am in with minimal effort. I have even cut a few pieces of 12"x12"x3/4" pieces of plywood and painted them orange for those times it is very dark and need to know those "spots" I am trying to hit (I use them under the leveling jacks too).

To me, if you know your trailer and know where you are backing to, whether its a campsite or 1 mile down a road, always knowing where those driver side trailer tires are simplifies it tremendously.

When I have a spotter, unless its someone who can actually back a trailer up themselves, I find they are only good for making sure I don't hit someone or something.
badercubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
sagebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
If driving a stick and not on asphalt, use 4L, if 4WD, so you can control speed better. Its also easier on the clutch, particularly when backing up a slope. 4L also works well with an auto.

X2

I have used 4L on pavement with no issues as long as you don't go to full lock on the wheel you are generally fine. If the truck starts to lurch then go back to 2H. My old truck had manual front hubs which basically gave me 2L which was nice.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Desert185

Yeah, 2L would be nice sometimes. Perhaps a switch/shutoff in the Ram's front axle vacuum actuator would do the trick. Transfer case in 4L, but no front axle engagement. Hmmm...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #19
sagebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Yeah, 2L would be nice sometimes. Perhaps a switch/shutoff in the Ram's front axle vacuum actuator would do the trick. Transfer case in 4L, but no front axle engagement. Hmmm...

I've been thinking the same thing as well. I've read some Ford forum posts about it but they have been on older trucks. You basically need to send power to the shift motor on the transfer case and not to the vacuum solenoid. I'm sure Ram does it in a similar way. I just need to get the wiring diagrams for the new truck.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
10-4!!! - take your time - don't be afraid to pull up to get a better angle -don't worry about the 'looky Lous' - and get out and look. Take the time to walk around your rig and look for obstacles, low branches, etc. The guy sitting in the lawn chair with an amused look on his face is no expert either! Did I mention TAKE YOUR TIME? I have 2 1/2 million miles in a semi and sometimes...well, the trailer seems to just have a mind of its own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
The mistake I made when first learning was to get to close to the opposite side. For example, if I was going to back in to a spot on my left, I would stay far to the right to give me a better angle. The problem with that is you end up to close to obstacles on the right and don't have room to maneuver the truck.

If you have a Bluetooth, it works great to have a spotter behind you call you. Works much better than hand signals or yelling.

Just remember to anticipate and start your counter steer early, the 5er takes a bit to respond, but when it finally does, it'll come around pretty quick.

As someone else mentioned, if you have a parking lot go practice. Through a couple 2x8s down and see if you can back the tires onto them from different angles. Once you get so you can hit them at will, you'll be able to hit your mark in any campsite.
These three hit the nail on the head, weird or not the hand on the bottom of the wheel is the best, most intuitive method to steering the trailer while backing up!! I also "Palm" the wheel while backing, far easier than had griping the wheel.

I also always pull close to the side of the road that the site is on, it is the TV's nose the travels across the road NOT the trailer.

Small adjustments, once the 5er starts to turn start to straighten out, otherwise it will turn too far.

Pull up past the spot, more than you think you need. GET OUT and look the site over if you have questions on fit or line you need to take, look for overhead obstructions!

I only us the DW for making sure that no kids walk or ride behind the the 5er while backing. I use my mirrors learn to use them they are great friends.

Have great camping.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote