Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Jim Dow

Winegard Rayzar.Air TV Antenna

I have a 2011 Montana High Country 5er.

I would like to know if anyone has tried replacing their retractable television antenna with the new Winegard Rayzar.Air antenna.

I'm not certain that I have a Sensar antenna/amplifier in the 5er; but the Rayzar.Air is supposed to be a 1:1 replacement.

Comments are appreciated.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
Terry W.

No I do not have the new Rayzar but would have the same question. And yes you do have an amplifier somewhere. Mine is in bedroom where TV connects.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I looked at the Rayzar when I was in CW last week. It is bi-directional and claims to pick up signals equally front and rear. It is very light and simply made so it should make it easier to aim and operate. The amplifier for the Sensar is in the antenna itself so I assume the Rayzar has the same. What is on the wall-plate is just a switch/led and power injector to the antenna. With digital tuners rejection of signals from the rear should no longer be necessary so this bi-directional design may be a big plus for gaining more channels without re-aiming if the signals are there. Not exactly what the OP asked but JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Jim Dow

Rayzar Antenna

I purchased the Rayzar antenna (not the Rayzar.Air) and experimented with it in my 5er this past weekend. This was the paper thin antenna that mounts via suction cups in a window.

It did not work at all, even after several repositioning attempts (each accompanied by an auto-scan of the available channels).

I got ZERO (0) channels detected.

Perhaps this was because of the location of the trailer.

Now I plan to furthier investigate the Rayzar.Air antenna as a replacement for the original antenna on the trailer.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
rjsurfer

Height is the key to RV TV reception not the type of antenna you use. Most campgrounds are usually in wooded areas or sit low compared to the surrounding topography.

That's why I would only use the traditional crank up antennas that gets the antenna up their and can be easily rotated.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Pmedic4

Television reception and Antenna

I too was frustrated by the reception with my antenna. Our local favorite spot, which is only about 15 miles from our house (State Park), should be able to pick up close to what we get a home. Over the years, with different RV's, we've had varying success with the built-in antennas.

With our current RV, I was looking to upgrade from the included Winegard Sensar II to something better. Saw the 'wingman' add on for the Sensar antenna, and also saw an ad for the JACK antenna. I ended up buying the JACK, which directly replaces the standard Winegard Antenna and really didn't find any appreciable improvement over the standard one. While I was at it, I checked all the connections to ensure everything was good and in place - again nothing found wrong, just not a good antenna. In my Cougar 291RLS, the antenna amp is behind the wall plate for the TV in the bedroom.

The best luck I had was making my own antenna, and plugging it into the external antenna connection, and using a different amplifier. At the same location, I now get 12 good channels, and 4 weak ones, versus 2 weak channels with the built in. Personally, you'd think the EE's would be able to make a good TV antenna for $50, when you can make your own, and better for about $3 in scrap wire and a coax connector. If I just hang it on the side of the RV, I have to move it to get different channels, but if I hang it from the existing antenna mast, I get the 16 channels without moving it around.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote