Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #1
GoneCountry

Truck not charging Battery

I drove for over 6 hrs, and the battery on my trailer did not charge. This is a new battery. It will charge when the trailer is connected to the electricity. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?
GoneCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
Javi

Newer trucks have a relay that must be installed for the charging circuit to work, some dealers install them and some dealers don't, leaving them in the glove box.

Did you find a packet in the glove box with a relay and a plug in it? If so that's the relay. Not knowing what truck you have I'm shooting in the blind here...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
Rex1vt

Same problem recently. solution#1- fuse in truck fuse box. solution #2 wiring harness wire loose @ tow vehicle connection.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
BulletOwner1

I'm not sure about other makes but my Fords needed to have the fuse/breaker installed, which is not done by the factory. They provide it in a little plastic bag in the glove box but don't install it. If you bought used it might not be there at all. Look in the owners manual for the location of it.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
GoneCountry

I have a 2011 Silverado. The trailer I had before this one I was able to charge from this truck.
Thanks for replying.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
GoneCountry

The fuse looks good so I'm going to check the harness.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Javi

Also most trailers have one or more auto reset circuit breakers located close to the battery, some are wired so that the current from the TV goes through the breaker before the battery. If you have such a trailer it could well be that the harness is fine. It will be a small rectangular object with two threaded studs and wires running to and from it. It may also be covered with a soft plastic cover; usually red but can also be black or yellow. They're about $6 at the auto parts house.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Yosemitebob

And of course make sure you cut off switch is set to "on" while traveling.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
austinp

That's what I like about these threads. After reading about the Ford fuse/circuit breaker I looked and found mine in a bag in the drivers door. Checked the manual and located the fuse box in the engine compartment. Installed them and it looks all good now. I didn't even know I wasn't charging the batteries. Thank you to all.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
Laredo291OH

Hi gonecountry,

I know you said you were charging your last trailer, but like austinp, are you sure? Did you hook up the wire under the hood on your 2011 Silverado? My experience with 4 GM trucks is that the 1/2 ton trucks need both the brake wire and the charging wire hooked up at the fuse box under the hood, on the 2500 only the charging wire needed to be hooked up. 3 of the 4 trucks I have dealt with had the "trailering package" from the factory and still needed hooked up.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
wayfun

On my 2009 Tahoe there was a red wire with a terminal on it next to the under hood fuse box and it had to be connected to a post at the fuse box. Don't understand why they just don't connect them at the factory.

Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
GoneCountry

OK - Old age is really getting bad - how could I think it was charging?????????
Thanks for all the replies. Yes - it was the red wire not connected to fuse box. It was still sitting in the wiring harness. Sorry for misleading you - there is no way this truck could have charged any trailer. Hope everyone had a great weekend.