Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Rick

What happens when....?

I don't have an automatic propane valve to switch between tanks. What happens, say at 10p with my refrigerator and furnace running and I'm asleep (no, I'm not staying up past 10), I run out of propane in the tank being used? Do both those appliances keep on trying to fire until the morning when I realize I've run out of propane in one tank or do they quit trying after, say an hour? Would that harm the appliances? It can't be good for them. Maybe a reason to get an automatic valve.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Kristi

They will stop after a few attempts. When you wake up cold in the night you just run outside & switch it over. Don't ask me how I know.....

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

All three "DSI" appliances, the hot water heater, refrigerator and furnace have a built in "brain" that senses successful ignition. If everything is working, these appliances will light on the first attempt. If that fails, they will try two more times. On the third ignition attempt, if there is no ignition, the appliance will shut off and illuminate the "failure" system. On the refrigerator, that is the "check" light, on the HWH, it is the orange light on the "Gas" wall switch, and on the furnace, it is the "trouble code" light inside the furnace. You'll need to get on your knees to see it.

But, the simple answer, each of these "automatic light" appliances will stop trying after 3 failed attempts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
BirchyBoy

The tech that did my walk through recommended against using the auto-switching valve. His rationale was that it was easier to run them both empty without realizing it. Choosing one tank and having it run dry gives you a warning. Of course, if you haven't filled the first one when the second runs dry, you're still SOL
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
The tech that did my walk through recommended against using the auto-switching valve. His rationale was that it was easier to run them both empty without realizing it. Choosing one tank and having it run dry gives you a warning. Of course, if you haven't filled the first one when the second runs dry, you're still SOL
Which just goes to show you how even the best intentions can fall by the wayside if you are forgetful. It doesn't make much difference if you "forget to change the valve" or "forget to fill the tank", either way, you're cold and out of propane. The auto changeover is a convenience and if used as such, will keep you from getting up at "0-dark-thirty" to walk outside in the rain to turn on the "extra propane". That's what the auto-changeover should be doing for you.... (while you sleep snugly in bed).

I would advise you to ignore the tech that did your walkthrough and use the convenience you paid for. What he is saying is pretty much an extension of, "Don't use your water pump because sooner or later, you'll empty your fresh water tank."

My question would be, "Why have it if you're not going to use it". Just get in the habit of checking for the "red indicator' on the auto-changeover. If it's red, turn it to the opposite tank, it'll turn green and "right then" (not tomorrow) take the empty tank off the trailer and put it somewhere you can't ignore until you get it refilled. If you're camping and can't refill it "now" devise your own method of making sure when you unhitch on the way home that you are reminded to take the tank with you. Either a red flag on the bottle that you can move to the hitch, or hang on the propane cover so you "smack yourself on the forehead" when you see it and remember why it's there.... Something to remind you the bottle is empty.

Years ago, you had to have a 7/8 wrench to take the tank off the trailer, now, it's only a hand twist connector, so there's not even an excuse that the tool compartment was locked, no need to delay as soon as you see it's empty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
Rick

Thanks for the answers. Think I'll go ahead and get the auto changeover valve. I'm always aware of which tank I'm using, and if I have an MT one.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
canesfan

I agree with what JRTJH says.

Let me just throw this out there as a "just in case"

Quote:
If it's red, turn it to the opposite tank, it'll turn green and "right then" (not tomorrow) take the empty tank off the trailer and put it somewhere you can't ignore until you get it refilled.
I once had something go wrong with one tank disconnected. Somehow the changeover was letting LP from the connected tank drain out the pigtail of the disconnected tank. I was away from the RV and my neighbors actually came and found me and told me I had LP leaking. They couldn't get to the changeover because it was in the locked front compartment but did turn off my LP tanks before they came to find me. Even when I got back there was a good smell of LP still. To this day I'm confused as to what and how it happened, I thought there were supposed to be check flow valves in the pigtails to prevent this sort of thing, but I guess anything can fail. Luckily nothing worse than an emtpy LP tank happened.

Anyway, after all the above, you should be safe in theory disconnecting one tank.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

On the auto switch overs I read that turn on both tanks, turn handle towards one and check the window for red at some point. I wish I could go RVing and just drive it/ park it and use it. But, I go around and check stuff, water, electrical, propane etc each day and some times several times each day. To monitor whats going on and whats left to use, to me thats just part of RVing.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
GaryWT

Do you have one tank or two? I know if I did not have an auto switch I would get a kick at 2 AM if the heat went out to go out and fix it. Our last trip last year we filled one tank as we were not sure we would make it our last night and it was in the 20's.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote