Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
canesfan

Filling Fresh Water Tank with No Gravity Fill

So I knew this going in, I don't know why they have to do this, but there is no gravity fill for the fresh water tank on my Raptor. No, there is not, believe me (the Fuzions have them, the Raptors (now) do not). You must have a source with water pressure in order to engage the check valve in the city water inlet to fill the tank.

Without going to the expense of buying a pump and all, all I really need is a way to "bypass" the check valve while dumping water from a container into the tank. I was thinking maybe taking the curved screen strainer out, turning it around and putting it back in and maybe having that push the check valve in. Don't know if it would work or not, if its even long enough or stiff enough. Any other ideas of a simple way to get around this?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
bobbecky

It sounds like you are doing some dry camping, so you might as well spend the $40 at Harbor Freight to get a 12V water pump to add water to your trailer. Wouldn't think it wise to mess with the plumbing with the unit under warranty. There are also collapsible water tanks available that can be used to haul the water too, but not sure where to get them. I guess they thought this was an improvement, but was probably a way to save a few bucks.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

canesfan, Be careful, if you damage the check valve in the city inlet you will not be able to use your fresh water pump since the water will pump out of the inlet. I hope that makes sense. As mentioned, an inexpensive 12v pump (even a cordless drill mount) would be much easier than lifting water jugs. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Bombfixer

I am confused here. But then again, I am a product of the Detroit public school system so that isn't surprising. Am I understanding that you are trying to fill your water tank thru the city water connection on the non entry side of the RV? My 2013 Raptor has a fill for the fresh water tank on the Entry Side of the RV. I have had no problems dumping 5 gal cans of water into it. I only use the city water connection to hook up to a water source at a campground.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
canesfan

Thanks for the replies and warnings. I know I'm being cheap, but it's also something else I have to carry around, plus I need power and all for a pump. If I remember correctly there isn't a power outlet in the compartment like my last rig had, but my last rig had a gravity fill, too. I do have a little battery operated submersible pump I got at Lowes awhile back that I actually used to pump water from a cooler into the gravity fill, but I doubt it has enough pressure to engage the check valve in the city water inlet. When the weather gets nicer I'll give it a try though.

As for damaging anything, the strainer is just a small rubber washer with a screen in it that pops out easily, I have plenty of extras of them. Damaging the check valve is another thing, but I'd just be doing manually what water pressure does normally. I know, I don't want to break it, thanks for the warnings. I had one break once in the middle of the night, the pump was on, and it pumped 80 gallons of water out of the tank into the basement. I now put a cap on the city water inlet and also turn off the pump overnight.

Someone told me I could just pull the check valve out with a pair of pliers and then put it back. Now that's asking to break something.

Bombfixer, no, it does not have a gravity fill like yours. Where your fill is located is where my fresh water tank vent is. I thought about maybe using that to get water in the tank, but it's a small opening and I'd have the issue of water going in and air coming out through a small tube.

Thanks again for the thoughts.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Canesfan,

Is it possible to access the top of the FW tank where the vent tube is located? If so, all gravity fill sidewall plates have a vent hose attachment. You may be able to use that location and install your own gravity fill. The FW tank end of that hose is nothing but a polyethylene (or other plastic) flange with a 1.25" hose adapter. They are glued in place with the "new type" adhesive that sticks to (welds together) the plastic. I've only seen the adhesive in a "tank repair kit" but if you can get to the top of the tank, it might be an option. I would not suggest that you cut a 1" hole in your FW tank anywhere except on the top. If the adhesive fails, or the fitting cracks, or ??? You'd lose water down to that level. Installing on the top, near the vent tube location would probably make it easy to route the filltube out to the sidewall location and solve your problem....

Just a thought.

Here are pictures of the flange and the fill port.
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
canesfan

JRTJH, thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about doing something like that, but the vent hose goes through the wall, down behind the kitchen cabinet, through the floor and then to where ever the tank is. I'm assuming the tank is over the axles, the vent is near the front wheel, but I can't see it from underneath like I can all the other tanks. So if the tank is where I think it is I'd have to pull the cabinets out and cut the floor to get to it. That's a little more than I want to do. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

THAT STINKS !!!! Makes you really wonder what Keystone was thinking when they looked at user options when camping.... This is one where they lost the user in their rear view mirror

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Bluewater

I thought the threaded hose end released the valve in the inlet and not water pressure. When I winterize my 5er I just screw in a small section of hose and with a funnel pour in anti frz. Or is my valve broke??
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Have to wonder what their logic was to remove the FW gravity fill option?? Must have started to do it in the 2014 models. As stated by others with the 2013 models it is on the entry side of the couch. All I can so is interesting!!!
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
canesfan

Yeah, it's totally stupid, especially in a toyhauler. Must have saved them $2-$3 and made a huge inconvenience to the end user. Like I said, the 2014 Fuzions sitting on the lot had the fill on the doorside where my vent is. Nope, the Raptors not so. I guess Keystone thinks everybody with Raptors camps at campgrounds with full hookups now, in which case why do we need a genset?

Bluewater, the hose connection doesn't release the check valve, it's behind a strainer inside the city water inlet. Not sure what's up with yours. If it was broken and you turn on the pump it will pump the water back out the city water inlet.

Anyway, thanks guys. If all else fails I guess I'll have to buy a pump and run some electric.

One other thought was one of those hand pumps for antifreeze, but I don't want to be there all day hand pumping water.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

If you have a cordless drill this may do the trick. Heavy duty drill powered pump for $15 and a short length of hose it might be worth a shot.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #13
Ram189

Buy a spare 12v water pump and splice a 4 pin trailer plug into the end of it. Plug it into your 4 pin plug on your truck turn on the parking lights and you have a running pump.

I use this type of setup on my TT all the time to feed water into it. Usually have guys begging me to use it at the races so they don't have to haul 5 gallons at a time. I have a 55 gallon water tank I fill and the hook the pump to it and feed water.
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #14
canesfan

Hankpage, thanks, that looks like a cheap, simple option. I have to look at my cordless drill and see what kind of RPMs it is.

Ram189, thanks for the idea. We do the race thing too. Wonder if you go to Richmond, we'll be there as always in May and Sept.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #15
canesfan

Well, I can't figure out how many RPMs my cordless drill is, read the manual and looked online unless I missed it somewhere. It's a pretty nice 18V one but don't can't find the specs.

But while messing around in the garage this weekend I found this
http://www.amazon.com/Rule-24-Marine...FFAJ3FBFEJQP2S
I wonder if it has enough pressure to open the check valve? I'm thinking if it does I can wire a cigarette lighter type plug onto it and and add a cigarette lighter type outlet in the basement near the hookup compartment. Then I can do what I used to do and dump my water into a cooler and drop this in the cooler and let it do its thing. Here's hoping.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Canesfan,

That bilge pump, if it's like the ones in my boat with the turbine in the bottom to pick up water, are designed to pump volume, not pressure and won't work to open a valve, etc. On mine, if you turn on the pump and put your hand over the outlet, the pump starts cavitating and won't pump anything else until you turn it off and start over. I don't know that a bilge pump will work for what you're trying to do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #17
canesfan

Thanks for the info, I don't have a boat, don't know why I have this little pump, and wasn't sure what it is capable of.

I also have one of these
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/attwood-waterbuster-battery-operated-portable-water-pump.html
that I used to use with my gravity fill but it's probably similar to the bilge pump with not enough pressure.

I guess I'll order that drill pump and see if my drill will operate it. Sure wish it would warm up so I can try these things out already and move on to the next problem, like fixing my stupid inside steps.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #18
Ram189

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Hankpage, thanks, that looks like a cheap, simple option. I have to look at my cordless drill and see what kind of RPMs it is.

Ram189, thanks for the idea. We do the race thing too. Wonder if you go to Richmond, we'll be there as always in May and Sept.
We do Richmond and have since the 70's. We stay over at the Azalea Flea Market. Usually in the first row on the right down from where Robert and the crew check you in at. Been staying with them there since the mid 80's when they closed the backstretch. $100.00 for the week and super nice people around us. 1 or 2 rowdy groups but Henrico Co police patrol it every hour or so.

I bought a spare pump that is just like the one in most trailers all ready. Wired it to run off the 4 pin connector in the trailer plug on the truck. Just plug in and turn on the headlights. Will pump pressure forever.
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #19
Pentagon

Our 2013 Mountaineer, has the same set up, we bought a portable bilge pump.
It take what longer the fill the fresh water tank, but it can be done.
We contacted keystone, and they didn't have any suggestion for a solution.
Pentagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #20
canesfan

Thanks again for the ideas. I've got several to try if it ever stops snowing and gets to above freezing for more than a day. 70 yesterday and 3-6" of snow today. I've had enough.

I'm guessing if nothing I have works I'll go with a cheap flojet. I actually have a 12V outlet in the basement on the opposite side (I guess for a 12V TV) I can wire a pump to a cigarette plug and use that I suppose.

I still think lack of a gravity fill is a major design flaw Keystone.