Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

George,

Here's a link to the complete 2006 Ford Towing Guide.

https://www.rvsafety.com/images/pdf/FordTG2006.pdf

According to the chart, fifth wheel towing for the F350 DRW 6.0 3.73
4WD is 15600 with a GCWR of 23500. That rating is based on a "new truck with new equipment". Years of use will decrease the maximum capacity on the suspension, brakes, transmission and rear axle "internals" as well as the comfort of the seat base cushion....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #22
shermris

Two main considerations:

1. Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR): The maximum weight of a truck, including the truck itself, cargo, passengers, fuel, trailer and trailer cargo.

2. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): The maximum weight of vehicle, including passengers, cargo and tongue weight.

Things that determine these numbers are cooling system, gear ratio / transmission, torque, tires/tire capacity/load range, towing system/hitch/equalizers, braking system, tongue weight and how you load your truck/trailer (load distribution).

The question should be how much can I safely tow where I am going, not what's the most I can tow.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
George,

Here's a link to the complete 2006 Ford Towing Guide.

https://www.rvsafety.com/images/pdf/FordTG2006.pdf

According to the chart, fifth wheel towing for the F350 DRW 6.0 3.73
4WD is 15600 with a GCWR of 23500. That rating is based on a "new truck with new equipment". Years of use will decrease the maximum capacity on the suspension, brakes, transmission and rear axle "internals" as well as the comfort of the seat base cushion....
OK. Just for the sake of argument, how can a Super Duty carry a heavier truck camper with a diesel engine than a 5.4L gas? And for what it is worth the brakes, suspension and seat base on my truck are at least as good as new with new components as well as the tires are rated higher. The transmission and rear axle have been serviced within the last two years with full flush of both. Chart says I can drag 15,500 lbs on page 17 and I don't think I want to even try.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:53 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OK. Just for the sake of argument, how can a Super Duty carry a heavier truck camper with a diesel engine than a 5.4L gas? And for what it is worth the brakes, suspension and seat base on my truck are at least as good as new with new components as well as the tires are rated higher. The transmission and rear axle have been serviced within the last two years with full flush of both. Chart says I can drag 15,500 lbs on page 17 and I don't think I want to even try.
First, the SuperDuty with a 5.4 engine has a different GVWR than a SuperDuty with a 6.0 diesel engine, so the old saying, "You get out what you put in" applies. You simply can't compare "apples to apples" when the beginning weights AND the beginning max weight ratings are entirely different. There is no "common ground" between the two trucks.

Second, every nut, bolt, rivet, frame rail, frame cross member, weld joint, are subject to stress/wear. The point I was making is that your truck is NOT in "new condition" at every component and the question becomes "where will that stress/wear affect weight carrying/weight towing capability"... Having new "major components" doesn't preclude some "seemingly insignificant" cross brace rivet from failing and causing the truck to fail while towing. The actual statement I made was: "Years of use will decrease the maximum capacity on the suspension, brakes, transmission and rear axle "internals" as well as the comfort of the seat base cushion" Maybe what I should have said is "the ENTIRE structural integrity of the truck is subject to stress/wear, including the seat base" ????? Replacing the tires doesn't remove the wear on the rear axle bearings nor does it renew the welds on the spring hangers, both of which are also as old as the seat base.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My missus looks at Facebook Marketplace camper ads; of course the bigger the camper, the niftier the floor plan and that catches her eye. Of course, the FB seller often doesn't included the model; only make and product line. Yesterday my wife saw a 2007 Sunnybrook Bristol Bay she really liked; and it WAS a great floor plan. Sent the seller a note asking specific model and got a picture of the weight sticker from the side of the trailer. 15000 lbs gross weight. I figured out the trailer was 37' long. Now my old F350's payload is about 4K lbs but I think this might be one of the cases where that is too much weight to tow for my truck. I have no idea what towing weight Ford conjured up for a 2006 F350XL 4x4 CC LB with 6.0/automatic with 3.73 rear end but I wouldn't really feel comfortable dragging 15K lbs except over the Bonneville Salt Flats (maybe). Ford chart I found claimed 15,400 lbs tow capacity. Right.
But George you're probably not going to fully load it & only going 50 miles, right?
So you'll never know it's back there!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

It's not just age but also milage and how that milage was obtained, i.e. road surfaces, weights, driving habits, and environmental variances. Worn mounting points and bushings can have a very large impact on handling. Even worn out cab mounting bushings can have a large effect to say nothing of transmission crossmembers, motor mounts,etc. It's not only springs and frame but a "system" of body, driveline, and suspension.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:12 AM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's not just age but also milage and how that milage was obtained, i.e. road surfaces, weights, driving habits, and environmental variances. Worn mounting points and bushings can have a very large impact on handling. Even worn out cab mounting bushings can have a large effect to say nothing of transmission crossmembers, motor mounts,etc. It's not only springs and frame but a "system" of body, driveline, and suspension.
Wow!
I am sorry a well maintained TV is just as capable of carrying the weight it is rated for when it is 20 year old as new. This assumes we are not talking a North East TV with a rusted out frame.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Wow!
I am sorry a well maintained TV is just as capable of carrying the weight it is rated for when it is 20 year old as new. This assumes we are not talking a North East TV with a rusted out frame.
You don't need to shout in red to express your opinion. As far as your statement goes that all depends on your definition of "well maintained". Many folks consider it as nearly changing fluids and replacing broken parts when they break. It's only common sense that a vehicle with all components meeting the specs of new will have the same capability as when it was new. The point is, very few 20 year old vehicles do unless they have been thru a full restoration.

Ask any garage "when was the last time someone came in for replacing their cab mounting bushings, or leaf spring bushings?" Or "when was the last time someone had their truck checked for crossmember joints?". I'd venture to say never unless they were making a noise or they were looking to find out why the tires are "wearing funny".

As a footnote, it's not just rust that deteriorates components. The effects of dessert conditions gry out bushings. High desert winds can drive sand into places causing premature wear. Transversely Artic cold can make materials brittle to the point of failure. Then there's the repeated cycling of years of hot, cold, dry, humid that has an effect. Mileage and usage differences as well. So it's difficult for me to accept such a blanket statement as "well maintained". JMHO
Old 01-17-2021, 07:04 AM   #29
Badbart56

So you're trying to say that this isn't real???

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #30
notanlines

Bart, if I remember correctly this video is actually a commercial created by advertising a Frontier mini pickup. And a fine job it is!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

That goes in the same folder with the Elvis sightings, little green Men from a flying saucer, the Lizard people, kothnan, bigfoot, ....
Old 01-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #32
Badbart56

Quote:
That goes in the same folder with the Elvis sightings, little green Men from a flying saucer, the Lizard people, kothnan, bigfoot, ....
Well which is it now!? I just spoke to Elvis right after Christmas!

2010 FZ 405

Old 01-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Well which is it now!? I just spoke to Elvis right after Christmas!
My bad, Elvis was piloting the plane full of little green Men and Bigfoot was driving the truck while mothman operated the camera and the lizard creature did the after event interviews. I think that covers it. Oh, almost forgot. The pilot (Elvis) followed Santa and Rudolf to the airport and guided the plane in.

What? When you talked with Elvis he didn't tell you?
Old 01-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #34
Badbart56

Quote:
My bad, Elvis was piloting the plane full of little green Men and Bigfoot was driving the truck while mothman operated the camera and the lizard creature did the after event interviews. I think that covers it. Oh, almost forgot. The pilot (Elvis) followed Santa and Rudolf to the airport and guided the plane in.

What? When you talked with Elvis he didn't tell you?
You're not supposed to know all that.....

2010 FZ 405

Old 01-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #35
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Bart, if I remember correctly this video is actually a commercial created by advertising a Frontier mini pickup. And a fine job it is!
^^ Correct. Here's a Snope's link. Sure is a good setup though.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:17 AM   #36
wiredgeorge

Talking

Quote:
You don't need to shout in red to express your opinion. As far as your statement goes that all depends on your definition of "well maintained". Many folks consider it as nearly changing fluids and replacing broken parts when they break. It's only common sense that a vehicle with all components meeting the specs of new will have the same capability as when it was new. The point is, very few 20 year old vehicles do unless they have been thru a full restoration.

Ask any garage "when was the last time someone came in for replacing their cab mounting bushings, or leaf spring bushings?" Or "when was the last time someone had their truck checked for crossmember joints?". I'd venture to say never unless they were making a noise or they were looking to find out why the tires are "wearing funny".

As a footnote, it's not just rust that deteriorates components. The effects of dessert conditions gry out bushings. High desert winds can drive sand into places causing premature wear. Transversely Artic cold can make materials brittle to the point of failure. Then there's the repeated cycling of years of hot, cold, dry, humid that has an effect. Mileage and usage differences as well. So it's difficult for me to accept such a blanket statement as "well maintained". JMHO

I replaced all the cab mount bushing right after purchasing the truck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote