Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
TheGriz

Permethrin Tick Repellant

Hey folks,

As an active member of our regional Search and Rescue team, my pooch and I spend a LOT of time in the woods. I got sick, both figuratively and literally, of being a tick magnet! The ticks would laugh at the extra strength DEET products. Not to mention that stuff is brutal to skin, leather, and any types of plastic. I have been treated with Doxicycline for lyme three times over last few years. Getting tired of it, and that antibiotic is brutal on your digestive system.

Sooo...I took an alternative approach. I am now treating all my SAR clothing with a 1/2% solution of permethrin. I have not had even one tick on me over the last year. The ticks either die in seconds or fall right off my pants.

I was going to use Sawyers, but it was just took expensive...roughly $10 to treat 4-6 garments https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...ywords=sawyers

So I "mixed my own". I bought a 10% permethrin solution for $18 https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.c...-permethrin-10 and dilute it 19 parts water to 1 part 10% permethrin to give me a 1/2% solution. I can mix gallons and treated hundreds of garments with this.

I got a spritzer bottle for a buck at the Dollar Tree, and it's simple to mix right in the bottle. I spritz all my SAR clothes until damp...pants, shirts, boots, socks...until damp. The key and a must is to allow clothing to dry completely out of the sun! The treated clothing is effective for up to six washes or six weeks.

This is NOT TO BE USED ON PETS! It is highly toxic to cats especially! I use Simparica, a once a month chewable tablet for my pooch, and he has been fine regarding ticks.

I am posting this because it works for me. If you choose to try it, do your own research! I am no expert and in no way endorsing for you! But this has worked well for me, and is used by others SAR folks, other outdoor enthusiasts, and the military.

Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:20 AM   #2
notanlines

Mike, I read over q few article on permethrin and found that it seems relatively safe. This is one of the most informative sources I found:
https://www.epa.gov/insect-repellent...eated-clothing
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:32 AM   #3
Harleydodge

Thanks for the Tip. Sounds viable to me.

We also treat our Black Lab with Bravecto, which is a 3 month solution, rather than the one month Simparica.
Last trip to the Vet they were advertising for that though and I asked about it.
My vet said it (Simparica) is a little easier on the dog's system, although I haven't noticed any ill effects with the Bravecto, and hate to switch from something I know works very well.
Our immediate area is bad for ticks and before treating our dog, we all (the Wife and I as well as the dog) were finding ticks on us almost daily.
Since treatment though, we rarely see one.
Once in awhile I will find a dead, dried up tick in the dogs fur, but that's about it.
Just wanted to pass along that info as well.

Thanks again for the tip on the repellent. I may have to look into it.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 AM   #4
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Mike, I read over q few article on permethrin and found that it seems relatively safe. This is one of the most informative sources I found:
https://www.epa.gov/insect-repellent...eated-clothing
Thanks Jim. I have read many other pieces of data regarding permethrin. But the one you reference I haven't yet seen. It's quite comprehensive. Again thanks!

Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote