Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
talley

Easy lift

I have a 26 ft Bullet Premier. It has double axles that are about 3 feet apart. Does anyone know if an Easy Lift ramp could be used to change a tire. It looks like the axles are too far apart for it to work
talley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two versions of the EZ Lift. The taller one is "reported" to work. Some members have said it does, some have said that even the taller version is not even close. What a few members have done is placed the EZ Lift on a 2x6 to increase the height. Other's have simply not used it, returned it and/or modified it to gain greater lift.

My advice, if you have the EZ Lift already, is to use it and see. Remember, finding out it won't work, on the side of the road, in an emergency situation, isn't the best timing. So, try it in your driveway or at a campground to see if it'll work for you. Don't rely on advertised slogans or on a friend with "almost the same" trailer..... I urge everyone to go through a complete tire change in their driveway while thinking through all the possibilities that may go wrong. Remember that slipping a jack under the axle on an inflated tire gives you 3-6 inches of extra space, question whether your jack will fit under a flat tire with the axle closer to the ground, question if you have the strength to loosen the lug nuts with the wrench you plan to store in the trailer, question whether you have the right sized socket, question the entire process, do it all "for real" in your driveway where you have "what it takes" to think the process through, get the proper tools and know that you'll be able to complete the task "under pressure" with only what's available "in the middle of nowhere" (which is exactly when a flat is likely to occur, for real)......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by talley View Post
I have a 26 ft Bullet Premier. It has double axles that are about 3 feet apart. Does anyone know if an Easy Lift ramp could be used to change a tire. It looks like the axles are too far apart for it to work
It all depends on the trailer, axles etc. IMO. In my case it did not get the flat far enough off the ground to get an inflated tire on the wheel. I had to work to get a 2x4 to stay on top of it (when I put it under it the lift just slid off) then use a shovel to dig out a little where the tire was going to sit. The 2x4 on top did not instill a lot of confidence so now carry a mix of jacks, boards, etc. to hopefully work if I have another incident (which I hope I don't). I also carry a battery operated impact wrench which helps quite a bit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
jeff57

I have a "Trailer Aid Plus", which is the taller version. The lift on it is about 5.5" whereas the standard "Trailer Aid" is about 4.5". My wheels are also about 3 feet apart and it does not lift the other wheel on the same side of the camper off the ground. I put a 2x8 under the Trailer Aid Plus and now it works just fine.

Hope this helps.
Previous: 2014 F150 SCrew 4x4 w/3.5 EcoBoost; 2014 Laredo 274RB

jeff57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
66joej

More important than asking if it will work is to take John's "JRJTH" advice. Do it in your driveway. That way no surprises. Take it from an old timer (me) who knows.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Cbrez

I bought the Rapid Jack from Anderson Hitches. Tested it in a parking lot and it did not elevate the axle high enough to get the second tire off the pavement. Put a 2x10 under the jack and it still didn't work. Shredded the rubber traction pad in the process. I really hoped it would work. Far lighter than my bottle jack and it's crazy simple. Anderson accepted the return with no questions asked, so the experiment didn't cost anything other than the time to test and return the product.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
michael_h

I used two bags of those orange leveling blocks once to drive up to get by Premier spread axles enough off the ground to change a tire . . . .
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
busterbrown

I tried lifting one tire off the ground by way of placing 2x10s along the ground and driving up the pyramid of wood. I had it stacked 5-6 high at the peak, and I finally gave up as it looked unsafe, both mechanically for the suspension and for the load bearing tire. Easier to use a bottle jack under the leaf spring mounting u-brackets at the end of each axle. Much safer too.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
xrated

The Anderson Rapid Jack worked for me on an Impact 303 Toy Hauler, in the driveway. When it was all said and done, I had between an inch and an inch and a half of clearance under the tire that was my "flat". I also carry a 12T bottle jack and a couple of pieces of wooden blocking, just in case I encounter something that would cause the Rapid Jack to not work.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote