Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
FSS

Cargo Hold Condensation

Hello,

Question for you guys and gals. I have a 1 yr old Cougar 21RBSWE. When getting it ready for this camping season, I noticed moisture on the underside of a small rubber backed door mat that I had my BBQ sitting on in my front pass through cargo hold. I looked for obvious signs of moisture and possible leaks but only found moisture under that mat. No signs of water entering the hold or signs that water was anywhere other then under the mat. I concluded that it must have been condensation under the rubber that would have no way to escape.

So, I chucked the mat and placed the BBQ on top of my awning mat which was folded and placed in the same area. Today, I check the hold, and there is moisture under the awning mat (much less than the rubber mat though), and again, no moisture anywhere else or any signs that there had been.

Has anyone else had this and would it most likely just be condensation between the mat and the floor? Or is there something else I should be considering?

Cheers
FSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Only common item is the BBQ. Maybe put it in the garage and see if the moisture spots go away.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

FSS -
Try placing the BBQ on a mat or other material that is breathable. My guess is that cold air from the bottom cannot escape through a rubberized or other non-breathable material, gets trapped and forms moisture between the two.

You can get fabric mats to use as a protective base at Walmart, HD or similar big box stores.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
FSS

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

It appears there was a badly caulked joint on the top of the frame for the slam shut cargo door. I recaulked and a couple hours later had a line of thunderstorms go through with heavy rain. Very humid early this morning with condensation on the exterior this morning. Bone dry in the cargo hold. I even put the rubber backed mat in to help with troubleshooting. Looks like I may have found and repaired the source.

Thanks again.
FSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
CoreyC

I leave a half-gallon size Damp Rid desiccant in my storage compartment. They are available at most of the larger chain retailers. It seems to help out.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
FSS

Good idea!

Thanks.