Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #21
bsmith0404

I honestly don't know why they put that data out there. Mine is listed as the max 5er towing at 16700. There is no way I could hook up to a 16700 lb trailer without exceeding the 24500 GCWR. My main concern for you is exceeding what I assume is probably a 9600 GVWR and the approx 6000 GAWR. More concerned about the GAWR. Too much weight on your axle is very hard on bearings

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #22
Javi

How much the truck can pull has nothing whatsoever to do with how much it can haul. There is a difference between carrying and pulling.

The best thing you can do is to load the truck up just as you would for a trip, dogs, cats, wife, kids, coolers, firewood, fuel, snacks... in fact anything you would take with you on a trip while towing a 5'er.

Then go hit a CAT scale, weigh the front axle and the rear axle... look at the sticker on your door post it will have the max limits for both as well as the total gross vehicle weight as registered.

Now look at the sidewalls of your tires and make sure that the max load limit for the tires is sufficient to cover the rear axle load limit.

After all this look at the heaviest pin load that the trailer could put on your truck and decide if its safe for you.

As an example my '12 F250 XL, crew cab with 6.7 diesel, long bed and little else has a registered GVWR of 10,000 lbs, a stickered payload of 2629 lbs .

But with the wife, two beagles, a toolbox and loaded as we would while pulling a trailer has a remaining payload of 2000 lbs. That means that all the crap we carry including all the ancillary crap in the console and door pockets along with the wife and the dogs has a combined weight of 600 pounds. This doesn't include a 5'er hitch as I didn't have it yet so add another 150 pounds and now my remaining payload is 1850 pounds.

Ahhhhhh BUT my RAW was only 3000 pounds and my max allowed rear axle load is 6000 lbs, sooooo.... maybe I could carry up to an additional 3000 pounds in the back... YEP you can if you want to ignore the law and carry over max on the whole vehicle.

See.... all them numbers are just that numbers. Go over any of them and the possibility of bad things happening start to increase, sometimes exponentially.

I will tell you that I am fully aware that my '12 F250 is no different part to part from a similarly equipped F350, in fact if you check the Ford parts manual even the spring packs, axles and hubs are the same part number...

They are alike EXCEPT for the badge on the side and that little sticker on the door post. So... my F250 is fully capable of carrying a GVWR of 11,500 lbs, if I were to equip it with the proper tires and wheels.

There is ONE little problem with that.... the law

No matter what I think or know it doesn't make it legal and I've worked too hard and too long accumulating the wherewithal to enjoy my last few years on this earth to want to part with any of it to a state or municipality; just because I was too stubborn or too self absorbed to go buy me a truck that would legally carry the trailer I wanted.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
bsmith0404

I actually misspoke earlier, towing the max 5th wheel weight you listed earlier will not exceed the GCWR, but that 2800 lb pin weight empty will exceed your GVWR. I'll give you the answer I think you're looking for, the duramax and Allison combo will easily pull the trailer and probably not work very hard doing it. Your rear suspension with the air bags will easily support the pin weight. You will exceed your GVWR and probably be very close on you rear GAWR. Bottom line if you are comfortable exceeding your GVWR you will not damage your truck IMO, but you will bust the scales if you get checked. Good luck with your decision.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #24
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger63 View Post
C 130,
Do you feel your F250 is adequate(enough truck) to safely pull your Fuzion 322 with water, fuel, and cargo in the garage? My TV would be a 2010 GMC 2500 HD Duramax with airbags. I want to insure I don't buy more RV than I can safely tow fully loaded.
Sorry, I'm only about a year late but maybe someone else might get some helpful information. As others mentioned the Fuzion 322 is pretty heavy in the front, surprisingly heavy when I had it weighed one time. The F250 pulled it great but I had it bottom out a few times on certain roads and had air bags installed also. You have to have something pretty heavy in the back to take the pin weight off which I guess is the assumption with the figures Keystone provides.

I just traded for a dually and have never driven or pulled with one before so looking forward to see how big of a difference it is. I'm sure DRW is the way to go with any 5th wheel towing but driving it as daily driver isn't worth the hassle for most people I would think. Hopefully I'll adjust as I'll be driving it to work every day also.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote