Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2015, 05:49 AM   #1
DougM55

WDH for short drive?

First trip out this weekend and I'm going to pick up our trailer (Passport GT 2250RB) from the self storage lot on Thursday night to pack up for the weekend. The lot is only 4 miles from the house.

Do I need to connect the anti-sway bars from my Blue Ox Swaypro or can I just hook up to the trailer to haul it home and drop it in the driveway?
DougM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 AM   #2
notanlines

Correct me if I'm wrong, but connecting the bars would take, uh, maybe two minutes? Or is a blue ox hitch something different? I'd hook them up.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #3
{tpc}

I'm not sure how the blue ox swaypro works, but if it has the typical weight distributing bars, I would probably attach them. Their purpose is to make sure the load is even distributed on both your axles. To run without them, might cause more wear and tear on your vehicle, and would definitely make it handle worse, possibly on the dangerous side of things.

We too have a storage lot about 4 miles away, the roads to/from are 50 mph speed limit, with a couple small hills. I always hook everything up, just like going on a long trip. Though I will say the power jack makes this much easier.

If I am at a campground and I have to take the trailer to the dump station or something but we aren't leaving, I typically don't worry about it then. But the difference is a trip that is 1/4 mile or less and at 5 mph.

I also wanted to add that doing it gets you used it, and after awhile it helps you to be able to do it quickly and to remember exactly what your doing. Practice makes perfect. I know in the beginning it seemed like a daunting task, but now no big deal.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
jkohler70

I think it depends on too many factors to give a solid answer. The weight of the RV, tongue weight, length, TV, weather, and road type are all variables. If your have a 3/4 ton TV with a long wheelbase towing a 25' RV, probably not. If you are towing a 30' RV with 1/2 ton, probably. Higher speeds, wind, and hills make sway more prevalent.
Take it with you, and pull over to install it if needed. I think you will find it unnecessary.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
GaryWT

Only you can make the call, as others have said. How much weight comes off the front wheels, what speed are you driving, highways or neighborhoods. If something happens you will be wishing you spent a couple minutes hooking everything up.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
I think it depends on too many factors to give a solid answer. The weight of the RV, tongue weight, length, TV, weather, and road type are all variables. If your have a 3/4 ton TV with a long wheelbase towing a 25' RV, probably not. If you are towing a 30' RV with 1/2 ton, probably. Higher speeds, wind, and hills make sway more prevalent.
Take it with you, and pull over to install it if needed. I think you will find it unnecessary.
I agree, you may not "find it necessary" but..... The purpose of a WDH is to transfer weight back to the front tires. That means it puts the weight back on the steering axle. When you add significant weight on the rear bumper, you "unload" the steering axle. That means that if you happen to crest a hill, or as in many southern towns, go through an intersection with the "dips for drainage", you could find yourself with the steering axle "off the ground" when you really need to be avoiding a kid on a bicycle or a car that ran the yellow light.

If your tow vehicle is big enough and your tongue weight is light enough not to unload the steering axle, you probably don't need it, but as notanlines said, "but connecting the bars would take, uh, maybe two minutes?" Why risk the potential to get into an accident for something so simple.

Besides, if you're "dragging it home to pack for a trip" you're going to need them anyway.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
cabinfever

First let me say I'm not trying to be a smartass. My question is will you be wearing your seatbelt for this 4 mile trip? My answer would be yes because it is a safety device and we never know when we need them. As for the WDH, it is a safety device and likewise should be used any time we are on the road, no matter how short the trip. Whatever you decide, just be safe!

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
UsTwo

I am appx. ten miles away from home to storage lot.. My speed doesn't go above 40 MPH, w/ no highway. If I am just taking the camper back to the house.. I don't usually hook up my WDH.. nor sway bar.. My choice.

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I agree with post #7. But, we do not know what truck you have. I have a truck that weights more than the trailer and almost as long. I drove it around with anti sway and WHD not hooked up in town just to see if stopping or steering etc changed. On mine it did not. All other tows I hook up all that safety stuff, why? because it is safety stuff.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
wahoonc

'pends on the trailer and truck. In my case if it is the DRW F350, it weighs more than all of my current TT's, when towing with it I only use sway control. If using the F150 (which also works with all current TT's) everything gets hooked up before I leave my property. All it takes is one bad accident, your fault or not for a lawyer to hit you with contributory negligence, I have actually had this happen. Fortunately my lawyer was better than their lawyer and the charges were dropped. However I still had to pay for my lawyer.

Your call...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:23 AM   #11
DougM55

Thanks for all the feedback and quick replies! I'll plan to hook them up. I'll give me practice and is a good safety feature.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
GMcKenzie

Only time I don't is when I pull my trailer out of it's spot, drive around the block and park it with the door facing the house. But I can't get my trailer out of it's spot with the bars hooked up without dragging the rear of the trailer.

I'd hook up.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #13
SLIMSHADIE

I have a 3500 diesel pulling a 30'-8500# camper, may be overkill but I had the truck first and not wanting a 5ver. The weak link is the truck hitch. My factory hitch is only rated for 500# or 1200# tongue weight with a WDH. So bars are needed even on the short runs.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

DougM55 - Sounds like you made a good decision. Connecting and removing the hitch is always good practice. Knowing that you have all the safety issues covered is peace of mind. Knowing that your front tires will steer is really good to know.

Once upon a time (40+ years ago) I went to cut firewood in the southern NM mountains. I pulled a 16' sided trailer with a 1/4 ton Ford Ranger up there (back in the days of "it'll pull it, it's OK). Cut the wood and loaded it up. On the way down the mountain I knew the front felt light but continued on (chalk that up to complete stupidity). The drop offs on this stretch of road are hundreds of feet and no rails back then. As I approached a bend in the road I hit a dip. I had never felt it before, and never have since, but, when your front tires actually leave the road when you need to turn...with a curve in front of you, a drop off of several hundred feet on the side and you are just sawing your wheels in the air.......well, your bodily functions can very well operate on their own if you get my drift. Thankfully, the nose was trying to come down and I hit the brakes which brought it down enough to turn a bit and get it stopped. I then spent a couple of minutes sorting myself out before re-distributing the load of wood.

All to say, I would just put the hitch on too.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #15
DougM55

Back from the trip. Everything went well. I ended up hooking up the anti-sway bars to the Blue Ox even from the self storage lot. Piece of cake. Glad I got the electric jack!