Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Drop frame basement storage on a fiver can't be beat. We keep all of our camping gear loaded year round. All I have to do to get ready to go is turn the fridge on. I swear the basement storage has as much space as some pop ups. Okay a little bit of an exaggeration
X2!
Many talk about the loss of the truck bed for storage, well the basement makes up for this AND it is always loaded!!

We have made the decision to go out for a weekend, on Friday morning, while I was at work. got out early at 2:15 4 miles home, load DW Hitch, air rear tires, tote of food from home refer and cabinets, and the dogs. headed to storage lot, 4 more miles fire up refer (it was October), hooked up and we were pulling out of the yard at 3:30 one hour and 15 minutes from walking out from work!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #22
buzzcop63

Spent some six years dreaming about RVing, going to every RV show that came to town, subscribed to two RV magazines, checked out books from the library. Also visited dealers of all types of RV's and set my dreams as follows: First choice a 32' A class Itasca or Winnebago, 2nd a 29' C class, third a 29' Cougar 5th wheel and last a TT. The retirement came and the wife said OK lets try RVing. Reality sets in, do not want to go in debt or use up too big of a chunk of our 401K, and wife and I both want to have new equipment to start with.

So our choice, 27' Cougar TT, comparative low cost, best resale value, tow with 1/2 ton truck as the truck will be our day to day vehicle. The A and C class new are just too much money and worry about keeping up another complex vehicle. The 5th wheel is too heavy for 1/2 ton and more expensive by several thousand dollars and the TT fit the two of us perfectly. Three seasons have passed and the trailer and truck for the two of us have been our salvation after a devastating personal loss. So the bottom line is find what works for you and hit the road. There is no wrong answer!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:24 AM   #23
GmaPaTime

Spot On.... buzzcop63
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
Lee

Hi,
Excellent thread! Basically it comes down to the type of camping you plan on doing (long distance/short distance, full time/short trips, number of campers, climate, etc.)

For me up here in the Great North-Wet. I exclusively dry camp up in the Mountains. A covered pickup bed is a must or else everything gets soaking wet. Also length is a concern as I have to put the TT in some tight locations. My TV is not my DD so, I keep the covered bed packed year round with all my "camping stuff": 5500W generator, chain saw, tools, table, chairs, fuel cans, water cans, spare tire, winch etc..

There are Pro's and Con's for each style RV, for us based on our style of camping and our location a TT is the answer.

Happy camping!

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #25
theeyres

I think the storage thing in a 5er is greatly overrated. Sure there is much more room in basement BUT there is no room in the truck. When we started full-timing we had a trailer with a canopy on the truck bed. We carried two bikes and about 10 large plastic storage bins plus all the kayak gear. There were two kayaks on top the canopy. Try to do that with a 5er. It can be done but with a lot of work.

That said, when we quit kayaking we got a 5er because of the spacious feeling of the interior. It felt much more homelike. And my wife loved the stairs and bedroom because she goes to bed much sooner that me and loved the separation that you don't get in a trailer.

But now that we are off the road we sold the 5er and got a small trailer because it's so much easier getting into small cg's, parking, backing up, etc.

So what am I saying? It's all up to you. Personally, when properly loaded and with the right equalizing system the trailer may not tow as well as the 5er but it's close and that wouldn't be a deal breaker. I don't mind towing either one.
Get what you want.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:03 AM   #26
notanlines

Dittos to what was said earlier, except what Earl said about Kayaks. Closest I ever came to drowning in 18" of water was my first and last experience in a kayak. Girly-man Jim just leaves them alone! The best of all the statements is "Get what you want." Maybe you can't afford a new "whatever you want" but if you look long and hard there will be a deal out there.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #27
hankaye

Howdy All;

I've lived in both, first was a TT and now a 5er. As has been said,
both have their pluses and minuses.
* What storage I had inside with the TT is now in the basement.
* The 5er has more steps, to get inside and to migrate from the living
area to the sleeping area as well.
* Head room and a lack of a slide-out space created a "Torpedo tyeube"
feeling, and the 5er has a more open feel to it (more head space and a
slide).
Just a few thoughts from my point of view and the above is my opinion.
Each has to make their own decision, but to do so, there is a lot of research
to do.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote