Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
avidbowhunterww

First tow with the 6.4 Hemi

I haven't seen much about the new engine on here so I figured I would start a thread:

We just got back from our 4th of July trip and the first tow with the new truck. We drove from Maryland to Myrtle Beach and back. A little over 1,000 miles total. All in all, I have to say I am impressed with the power and the stability of the truck. I think this was solidified when we were home last night and my wife said she had "forgotten that the camper was behind us at certain times of the trip!"

The trip down I averaged 10.6 MPG's (hand calculated) at around 55 to 60 mph. I was still in the break in mode for towing as prescribed by the owners manual (first 500 miles towing). I also left at 8 pm and drove overnight to miss traffic and take my time.

On the way home, I set the cruise control at 65 mph to see how the truck would handle itself on the road and to my surprise the transmission locked right in and shifted very little except for decent hills. It has good low end torque for a gas truck. I averaged 9.4 MPG's (hand calculated). We did hit a great deal of traffic and the 7 1/2 hour trip turned into 10 hours, so I imagine it had an effect on the MPG numbers, but I get smiles per gallon anyway, right? We also were a little heavier with more gear.

The truck held our 34 foot 298BHS in place when passed and while passing semi's and RV's. I have 6,000 miles on the truck now. Camper weighs in at 6,116 pounds.

Numbers:

Coolant: 228 degrees
Trans: 175 degrees
Oil Temp: 208 degrees
Oil: 54 PSI
Old 07-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
LC Hauler

I have a 14' 6.4 2500, pulled my 5350BH fifth wheel with little to no effort. Love this new truck, out performed my friends 3500 diesel through the mountains.
LC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
accordionman

these are great reports on the 6.4 I have the 5.7 hemi and pull a 269RET Sprinter 5th wheel does a good job .I just can't see how 20 more HP and about 20more ft of torque can make such a difference . anybody else towing a fifth with the 2500 5'7? if so how do you like it and does it tow well?
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote