Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
290!!!! wow, I guess when you see that light it should say contact your nearest tranny shop. I monitor my tranny temps constantly while towing so I know I would never see that light, I would have stopped about 50-60 degrees before that.
I completely agree !!! I swallowed pretty hard when I saw that number... I'm guessing that when the Transmission Overtemp light comes on, it really REALLY means OVERTEMP !!!

I'm thinking that they expect owner/operators to monitor the transmission and GM is using the light as a "last ditch" reminder to someone who is not paying attention to , "SHUT IT DOWN RIGHT NOW !!!!!" But then, that's my guess, nobody has told me what GM was thinking when they set it up like that. I was really surprised and I worry when my trans temp hits 200.... Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:59 AM   #22
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I completely agree !!! I swallowed pretty hard when I saw that number... I'm guessing that when the Transmission Overtemp light comes on, it really REALLY means OVERTEMP !!!

I'm thinking that they expect owner/operators to monitor the transmission and GM is using the light as a "last ditch" reminder to someone who is not paying attention to , "SHUT IT DOWN RIGHT NOW !!!!!"....
I believe Dodge "trans temp" light is set at 280 degrees. I haven't had an auto in a number of years, but I seem to recall that if the light came on, the manual indicates to pull over and allow the motor to idle in neutral - because the pump does not run in park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
... I was really surprised and I worry when my trans temp hits 200.... Hmmmmm
I can see why 200 might be surprising... But then again, if you think about it.. The transmission is sharing a space and cooler that is designed to keep the engine coolant at 195-210 degrees for optimal operating.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:29 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
I can see why 200 might be surprising... But then again, if you think about it.. The transmission is sharing a space and cooler that is designed to keep the engine coolant at 195-210 degrees for optimal operating.
200 isn't really "suprising" and I agree the "other stuff" under the hood runs about that same temp.... It's just me and my "watchful concern"... When everyone else in the hospital was saying, "I don't get concerned till the temp's over 101, I was watching my patients when their temp rose above 99. To me, being aware when it "STARTS" to rise gives someone the opportunity to stay on top of things should they continue to rise.

It's probably not significant, but if my trans temp is "usually at 190" and today it's running 205, I start watching that gauge closer than the others. Just my nature to want to know if anything is even a tad bit different than "normal".... I think that comes from flying airplanes where a "good pilot" flies from one potential emergency field to the next rather than from the starting destination to the planned landing airport.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #24
BOWWOW

Trans temps

I had some issues towing here in the rocky mountains, the trans got up to 245.
I went to a trans shop and had them install an external trans cooler with an electric fan operated by a switch in the cab" always on when towing". It's mounted right in front of the radiator it pulls a lot of extra air through the engine compartment also.
Pulling 2 atv's and water the temps never get over 195 now.
I also had them put in a Trango JR shift kit on my Allison which changed the shift points to better suit my towing needs here up and down the passes.
3 seasons no problems.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #25
Ken / Claudia

My electric tranny fan really works for the back roads when speeds are 20-40 and up/down grades. At highway speeds when towing I have tried it off and on and it should be helping but, likely not needed unless pulling the long 6% grades.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #26
tirnanah

Interesting... I just towed my Outback from Rochester, WA to Fairbanks, AK, via the Cassiar... I never saw Tranny temps over 200 even after a 9 mile 7% upgrade (granted, I was only running about 35 to 40 MPH up the hill ). I average 140 to 170 on tranny temps, 185 to 195 on coolant temp, but my oil temp keeps spiking out, sometimes without even trying... Going to have it checked at the next oil change. Had to pull over a couple times to let it come down... I never let it get over 230.

I have a 2009 Sierra 1500 HD with all the towing addons that come stock. I did have all of the fluids changed before I left to get the trailer. I monitor with an Edge CTS monitor, so I can see all the temps at the same time. Well worth the money!
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
07 Frontier

Post ram tranny temps

highest so far has been 160. 10 miles at 6%, 60mph bucking a 30 mph headwind. ambient was low 80's
light weight has it's advantages
07 Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #28
GunDoc

I have been watching my trans temp and noticed it stays right around 190F once the truck is warmed up (not towing) and as this is a new truck I got a little concerned. I started searching the net for answers and found one on a GM Forum (http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topi...51-trans-temp/). There a GM engineer explained that the new transmissions are thermostatically controlled, just like the cooling system for the engine. The thermostat keeps the transmission at a specified temperature (180-190F) by opening or closing the thermostat. One poster reported that his transmission actually ran cooler when towing than when driving unloaded! The other thing to remember is the new transmissions do come with full synthetic fluid designed to withstand these higher temps.
GunDoc is offline   Reply With Quote