Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
GaBidcaller

Question CPAP Question

I am newly diagnosed with a fairly severe case of Sleep Apnea - consequently I have been prescribed to use a CPAP machine every night when I go to bed. This new "best friend" has become my sleeping companion over the Winter months and as such have not used it yet in our 2013 Keystone Bullet RV Trailer.

My question is: When we are out traveling with the RV this Spring/Summer/Fall and are in a campground facility where we are connected to campground power, will I need to use a battery pack to power the CPAP machine? My sense of it is that since we are connected to Shore/Campground power and the Keystone Bullet has a built-in inverter system, that it would be the same as being plugged into the power outlet at my house - but with the cost of the CPAP machines being what they are - I do not want to burn it up or break it, if all I need to do is buy a rechargeable battery pack to take on the road/camping trips............Input is most certainly appreciated.
GaBidcaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
rode2nowhere

wish I could help but everywhere I have camped has had electrical
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Roller4Tan

I've used cpap in all my trailers for years with no issues. If you use the 110V "house" outlets in your trailer, it's the same as being at home. Inverter output should be the same, if you're running off the battery.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
schwalbach

I use CPAP, with evaporator, as long as you are on shore power, 110v is 110v and the cpap will work when plugged in to outlet in trailer and trailer is on shore power.

Now with that being said, there is an option when not on shore power, they make a 12v adapter that plugs into a cigarette lighter, this can be set up to run off a 12v deep cycle battery such as in the RV.

I did a test on a new 12v deep cycle and I got 3 nights out of a fresh battery:

needed a new battery for horse trailer, so bought a 100ah group 21 (I believe) deep cycle battery, hooked the 12 volt cord to it after charging, here is the results.
Voltages are starting voltages, 14 pressure setting about 7 hours a night

day 1 13.3 volts (presume a surface charge ) cpap on no water heat
day 2 12.8 volts cpap no water heat
day 3 12.77 volts cpap water heat of setting 3
day 4 tonight 12.57 volts-ran until 12.5 volts and shut down-only about 1 hr with heater on 3-

So there is options that are doable when camping, I just move mine from the house to the trailer and plug it in and works just like home.

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Run my CPAP off of shore power all the time. I have a battery pack and have never had a need to use it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
GaBidcaller

Thank You for all the information!

Thank you one and all for the useful information!

I did also contact the Mfg/Supplier of the CPAP unit and they told me as long as I was connected to Shore/Campground Power to the RV that I would not need a battery pack.

All of your replies are most certainly appreciated!
GaBidcaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Connected to a properly wired CG power post should be just like home. However, you mentioned an Inverter. If it was a Pure Sine Wave inverter should be okay using it, on the other hand a Modified Sine Wave there may be a reason to look into it further. Not familiar with this device, you mentioned it was costly, if lot of electronics may want to check into plugging into this type inverter
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBidcaller View Post

My question is: When we are out traveling with the RV this Spring/Summer/Fall and are in a campground facility where we are connected to campground power, will I need to use a battery pack to power the CPAP machine? :
If you are plugged into campground power, your RV will be able to utilize the 110V AC which is the same power you have at home. If you have been plugging your CPAP into an electrical outlet at home, just do the same in your RV. Find a 110V AC outlet- hopefully near your bed - and plug your CPAP unit into that.

I don't see any need for using a battery pack when you already have the necessary power supplied by the campground's power pedestal.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
BobnLee

My CPAP sits under the bed unused. Couldnt get used to it and kept waking up and ripping it off. My friend has one and has no problems with it when camping. Wants my machine since it is newer and hardly used. Going to keep it permanently in the trailer.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnLee View Post
My CPAP sits under the bed unused. Couldnt get used to it and kept waking up and ripping it off. My friend has one and has no problems with it when camping. Wants my machine since it is newer and hardly used. Going to keep it permanently in the trailer.
It's taken me 2 years and 6 different masks to get used to mine, now I sleep great with it and feel more rested in the morning.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 03-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Many new CPAP users have problems with sleeping and being comfortable with some styles of mask. There are a number of different styles and sizes. Don't give up until you've exhausted the entire spectrum. I'd say less than 1% of users can't find a comfortable fit that lets them use the CPAP to benefit their condition.

Since the machine is usually an insurance item. If it's given away and then in a couple of years, required for a more serious condition, the insurance may not pay for a replacement. I'd hang onto it rather than let it go....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
Htfiremedic

I love mine and it goes where I go. I have run off of Shore power, inverter power and Generator power. All seem fairly even as far a success. I have a friend that bought an adaptor for his OTR truck to run off of his 12volt system. He uses it in truck stops and says it has never failed him.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
Terry W.

I've had one for the last 2.5-3.0 years. Have had it in 3 different campers and no problems. After useing a air pack firefighting for 16 years the mask was no issue except getting one that did not leak while sleeping. Have a good nights rest. Good night John Boy.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #14
bsmith0404

The mask that doesn't leak at night was my biggest problem. I sleep on my side a lot and they always broke the seal when they pressed against the pillow. I found some that were better than others, but finally found one that was great. Hope they continue to make it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Htfiremedic

Which mask is that? I have terrible luck with leaks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
The mask that doesn't leak at night was my biggest problem. I sleep on my side a lot and they always broke the seal when they pressed against the pillow. I found some that were better than others, but finally found one that was great. Hope they continue to make it.

Sent from my iPhone
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htfiremedic View Post
Which mask is that? I have terrible luck with leaks!!

Sent from my iPhone
It's a Mirage Activa LT by Res Med. It's a nose cup that bellows or puffs up. It seals so well on it's own that I have the head harness set VERY loose. Not sure if they make it in a full face, but if you can use a nose cup you will be good to go.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 03-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
ocbms

Camping has not slowed me down.
I have the Quato FX Mask and do fine with a pressure of 17. In fact I have problems when I can't sleep with it. I'm better of sleeping in the recliner if no Cpap. My cushions last about 2 months with several tightening to reduce leakage when I roll over.
In a previous camper I did more dry camping and could go several nights but this FW has more uses for the battery power so I never tried it more than 6 hours when the Campground had a service failure. Then I used the DC cord I obtained from MFG. I can plug into the Battery Outlet by the TV Antenna Amplifier.
2011 Ford F350 6.7 DRW CC LB
Previously had E350 Class C
ocbms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpap info