Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2024, 09:34 AM   #1
grizwilson

24RDS Tankless water heater error E1 code

Checking things over before the incoming artic blast. Turned on switches to make sure batteries charged. Tankless water heater shows a E1 error code??? Not sure if a real issue or just it has been turned off? Thanks
grizwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:37 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Are you living in the trailer? Or, is it winterized and you're just doublechecking the trailer while in storage ???

If I remember, the E1 error code is "no ignition/no flame"... If the trailer is in storage and the propane bottles are turned off, it won't ignite and will cause an error code.

On the other hand, if you're living in it and have used it frequently, then you'll need to troubleshoot the code. I'd start with turning the propane off, then back on and try again. You'll need propane, fully charged batteries (or 12 VDC power from the converter) and a "full pressure water flow at a hot water faucet".

If it were me and the trailer is in storage, I'd make sure the water heater is "fully winterized", the propane is turned off and the battery is disconnected for winter storage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:10 AM   #3
cougar23

A tankless water heater has nothing to winterize except the water lines themselves which get winterized with everything else. If propane was turned off
it may be necessary to light the stove first when turning on to get air out of the line.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:36 AM   #4
grizwilson

It is winterized with the pink stuff, sitting behind the shed. The power was off but turned on to make sure batteries were 100% before this incoming cold front. Bet when I turn gas back on it corrects itself. Not at all happy with tankless, need to see what it would cost to replace will tank. Thanks all.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:03 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
A tankless water heater has nothing to winterize except the water lines themselves which get winterized with everything else. If propane was turned off
it may be necessary to light the stove first when turning on to get air out of the line.
There are SOME tankless water heater that DO have a recirculating pump system that requires winterization. Without knowing which type tankless water heater the OP has in his trailer, it's impossible to make the assessment that there is nothing to winterize.

Here's a discussion that you might find interesting:
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=water+heater

You are right about the propane system. If it has been turned off and has leaked down, he'll need to purge any air out of the lines before the water heater will get enough propane for easy ignition.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 04:44 AM   #6
ChuckS

I had to dig thru your info to find out what water heater.

You appear to have the Girard GSWH-2...

Why not use the service manual for this unit and also you have a few areas that can become water leak issues with this water heater ..

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...e%20Manual.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:26 AM   #7
grizwilson

Thank you, it was 10 degrees and 50 mph wind so was limiting my time outdoors all of the support info is in a cabinet inside the camper. I had just turned on the batteries to insure the lithium were fully charged. As the manual states the E1 is that it has tried to ignite twice..... it had not been turned on so??? Hopefully we will get a warm day and I can check things out better bet just because gas is turned off. "water leak issues" oh boy., I just need to figure out how to replace this thing. We mostly boone dock have never camped with a full hook up to use this thing. Thank you so much for the Manual
Old 01-13-2024, 09:15 AM   #8
ChuckS

At 10 degrees the minute you turned on the batteries and the WH was powered on it sensed this temp and wants to run the freeze protection process

Since you have the LP tanks turned off this is why the E1 error pops up.. the WH freeze protection wants to fire up the WH but can’t due to no LP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	46002  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 09:19 AM   #9
grizwilson

Again, Thank you so much for sharing. This weather is way out of my element.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:39 AM   #10
merchjo

It sounds like your rig has the same equipment as my rig. You did not say but if you have factory lipo then you probably have factory solar. If you do, you dont need to turn the camper power on to read the battery voltage. Next to your solar controller is the solar disconnect switch. This switch connects to solar to the battery and by-pass the 12v cutoff for the trailer. All you need to do is turn that switch on and open the victron connect app and read the voltage of the batteries. I did not turn off my panel and letting it charge whenever the temp is over 40 deg because the batteries have built in protection that wont let them charge under a set temp if the heater are not on.
merchjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater