Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2024, 12:08 PM   #1
Wyldfire

Thankless water heater info

https://youtu.be/2Zu394gSXwM?si=ibctLPoqk5oWJrO5
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 03:46 AM   #2
Martian

I will stick with my old school Suburban. Dual fuels and very easy to winterize.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 05:08 AM   #3
cougar23

If you check the different forums regarding tankless water heaters you will find that majority hate them. I had new tankless heater replaced with conventual gas/elect. heater.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:06 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
https://youtu.be/2Zu394gSXwM?si=ibctLPoqk5oWJrO5
I chuckled a "wee bit" (actually quite a bit) at the title you used for this thread:

"Thankless water heater info"

Seems more and more owners are "thankless" to Keystone about their across all brands upgrade to tankless water heaters.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:42 AM   #5
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Seems more and more owners are "thankless" to Keystone about their across all brands upgrade to tankless water heaters.....
Was the term "upgrade" tongue in cheek? We don't have one but since they became mainstream I haven't seen them as an upgrade.

I'm sure I echo the sentiments of others in the inability to use the parks electricity to heat the water. If we ever get a newer RV we'll make sure it has the dual power tank.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:02 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Was the term "upgrade" tongue in cheek? We don't have one but since they became mainstream I haven't seen them as an upgrade.

I'm sure I echo the sentiments of others in the inability to use the parks electricity to heat the water. If we ever get a newer RV we'll make sure it has the dual power tank.
Yes, "upgrade" is more of a "tongue in cheek description" than it is a benefit to most buyers"...

The first "standard build" OEM tankless water heater in Keystone trailer (AFAIK), was in the 2018 Montana 3920/3921 FB models. It had a "front bath soaking tub" which held about 40-50 gallons of water. There was NO WAY IN HELL to fill that tub with warm water (much less hot water) from a 12 gallon Suburban water heater. So, Keystone installed a propane demand water heater. It "sort of worked" so the idea grew to "give more buyers an endless supply of hot water, even if there were some negative issues yet to solve"....

So, it's an "upgrade" as described in the brochure, but ......

I don't know of many buyers who regularly dry camp who would call it an "upgrade", even if that's what the brochure more or less "infers"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:20 AM   #7
jsb5717

Quote:
Yes, "upgrade" is more of a "tongue in cheek description" than it is a benefit to most buyers"...

The first "standard build" OEM tankless water heater in Keystone trailer (AFAIK), was in the 2018 Montana 3920/3921 FB models. It had a "front bath soaking tub" which held about 40-50 gallons of water. There was NO WAY IN HELL to fill that tub with warm water (much less hot water) from a 12 gallon Suburban water heater. So, Keystone installed a propane demand water heater. It "sort of worked" so the idea grew to "give more buyers an endless supply of hot water, even if there were some negative issues yet to solve"....

So, it's an "upgrade" as described in the brochure, but ......

I don't know of many buyers who regularly dry camp who would call it an "upgrade", even if that's what the brochure more or less "infers"....
I suppose if you have a soaking tub then the application makes sense. However...how many rigs have soaking tubs? How many RV buyers even want one? Since you don't see them in almost all newer RV's that are installing a tankless heater why is the industry foisting these things on new consumers? What's the real agenda behind this "upgrade"? Is there any special interest pushing this or is it the industry's way of showing innovation and something "new"?

Hopefully there will be enough kick-back that it becomes a short-lived offering. How many other "new" ideas didn't make it in the long run?

I remember when the bathroom sinks were in the bedroom. We hated that idea. You also don't see it anymore. Others must not have liked it either.

I suppose they have to keep innovating and throwing new ideas against the wall and see what sticks.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:49 AM   #8
RickV

I reckon I am that one guy who actually likes the Tankless Water Heater. We haven't had the first problem/ I like that I can set the temp and just go full hot when taking a shower. Last year we spent 5 months in the 5ver at our place in WNC. We rarely use the stove and have never used the oven and after 5 months we still were on the first 30 lb tank.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:39 AM   #9
Mikendebbie

I own one of those Montanas with the full tub across the front and the tankless water heater. It has worked well for us. We don’t dry camp. It is apparent to me that many responders to this thread are not familiar with “happy wife - happy life”.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:31 AM   #10
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I own one of those Montanas with the full tub across the front and the tankless water heater. It has worked well for us. We don’t dry camp. It is apparent to me that many responders to this thread are not familiar with “happy wife - happy life”.
Ha...yes, very familiar with that one...and I subscribe to it.

But since most rigs (ours included) don't have the soaking tub, I don't see the need for high-volume hot water. Although I'm sure they work great.

The wife loves her long, hot showers and we have yet to run out of hot water with a tank using electric. These things recover so quickly...

I guess my main beef with the infiltration of on-demand propane water heaters is the limitation of choices. However, my objection, at this point, is academic since we have a dual power tank. So I'm protesting on principle, not practice.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:45 AM   #11
JoeBer

Quote:
I chuckled a "wee bit" (actually quite a bit) at the title you used for this thread:

"Thankless water heater info"

2023 Cougar 290 RLS
How do I turn the Tankless Water Heater off? It is stuck on E1 and the unit turns on by itself, propane is off (hence E1), How do I turn the power off to the unit without pulling the fuss??

Thanks
JoeBer
JoeBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:29 PM   #12
Mikendebbie

I am not familiar with how the newer units are controlled.
Do you control it thru the InCommand panel?
Or does it have a controller like this...
Those controllers run about $50 + tax and delivery - but is yours still under warranty? I would suggest that you call Suburban customer service with questions but in my experience I had better luck discussing it with a beer can. Suburban's answer is "call your dealer".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-04-18_15-28-58.png
Views:	47
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	46746  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:26 PM   #13
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBer View Post
2023 Cougar 290 RLS
How do I turn the Tankless Water Heater off? It is stuck on E1 and the unit turns on by itself, propane is off (hence E1), How do I turn the power off to the unit without pulling the fuss??

Thanks
JoeBer
You didn’t say which on demand WH you have so I took the time to look in Trekwood site and guess you have the Girard GSWH-2 unit

This link is the service manual for your unit

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...e%20Manual.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:25 PM   #14
LadyCPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
If you check the different forums regarding tankless water heaters you will find that majority hate them. I had new tankless heater replaced with conventual gas/elect. heater.
I understand wishing we could switch between propane and electric for our tankless water heater, but we actually like the tankless and it works well for us.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:48 PM   #15
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCPA View Post
I understand wishing we could switch between propane and electric for our tankless water heater, but we actually like the tankless and it works well for us.
I assume most of your stays are in full hook up facilities, or at minimum water and electric. If so, my question since you do like it, do you have the recirculating option which minimizes bypass water into the tanks?

I'm putting one in my shop bathroom vs the 30 gal electric water heater.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:23 PM   #16
LadyCPA

[QUOTE=GlasNav;561633]I assume most of your stays are in full hook up facilities, or at minimum water and electric. If so, my question since you do like it, do you have the recirculating option which minimizes bypass water into the tanks?
Only 1 of our trips has been with full hookups. No recirculating option, we just work to put things in order so that we rarely have to start and stop the hot water. I admit it is a pain when camping in cool weather where we are trying to heat water from 35 degrees, but we still prefer it to only having a small amount of hot water at any one time.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:10 PM   #17
markdol1

I for one love my tankless water heater and am never going back to a 6 gallon shower. Mine has worked flawlessly.
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:24 AM   #18
RCo

There is a rocker switch on the heater open the outside door to it. Turn it off for 30 seconds or so then back on. That's how I got rid of my E 1 error
RCo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater