Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
Rhytech

Cannot Install Ladder

I'm a new RV owner of a 2021 Bullet 243 BHS. I had looked into having the dealer install a ladder as the RV did not come with one but has been "prepped for rear ladder". Complete with shiny Keysyone sticker

However, when the dealer looked at the schematic, Keystone made the ladder prep only where the rear windows are. So the ladder would go right over top of the windows. Not a big deal, right? Wrong. The one window is the rear emergency ext window and IF a ladder was installed it would block the exit.

Did Keystone really make this a terrible design or am I missing something? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Rhytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:48 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Is the roof walkable? If not that would explain no ladder and the window design not accommodating one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:56 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

I have a rear ladder but it is really too skinny and the rungs too far apart for a "mature" person like myself to climb comfortably. I bought a 12.5' extending ladder which is light and easily stored for times I want to venture on my roof:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Tele...KNX7YH3RJKKH74
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:06 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I think your dealer is mistaken. The only option I see on the Keystone website is for theater seating. As for the stickers, well they've been known to incorrect in the past.... Incorrect labeling on holding tank valves, incorrect "mount TV here" labels, even 50 Amp label at the 30 Amp shore power connection.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think your dealer is mistaken. The only option I see on the Keystone website is for theater seating. As for the stickers, well they've been known to incorrect in the past.... Incorrect labeling on holding tank valves, incorrect "mount TV here" labels, even 50 Amp label at the 30 Amp shore power connection.

I looked at the Bullet factory brochure and it says the roof is walkable. I also looked at pics of the OP's model and the rear window was only half the width of the rear of the trailer and offset to the right side. No reason they couldn't have put a ladder on but suspect since the Bullet line is more a base model, perhaps ladders are not installed to save a few bucks. Putting a sticker where the ladder would go over the window doesn't make sense. I also looked at a number of pics of 2021 Bullets (same model) rear and none had stickers. Maybe the sticker guy at the factory was bored...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Can you get a pic of the schematic for the rear wall? If the left side has the needed framework then I don't see a reason why they cant put one on. If the framing is on the right side I can see the issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
Rhytech

Smile

Thanks everyone, good stuff here so far.

Yes, the roof is walkable.

wiredgeorge is correct, the window (emergency exit) takes up half of the back wall and there is easily enough space to put a ladder on the other side. The dealer has gotten the schematics from Keystone and it prepped to be installed only on the side with the windows. So chuckster, that's exactly it, the left side cannot install cause it doesn't have the framework. It's an issue, and some engineer at Keystone needs to be fired!
Old 07-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
It's an issue, and some engineer at Keystone needs to be fired!
Its probably not an engineering error but more likely an error on the production line. station "X" is responsible for the rear wall and since units are FLYING OFF THE LINE, the guy at at that station probably just stuck a sticker on and let it go to the next station where another guy puts the wrong labels on the drain valves and then another station for the 50A sticker over the 30A connection.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #9
travelin texans

You have to visit the factory, then you'll realize these are not the sharpest pencils in the drawer putting these things together, most were flipping burgers yesterday at McDs & after their 15 minute training course are now assembly line technicians.
As George suggested get yourself a lightweight ladder of some sort to carry, you'll be much better off. Of course this doesn't help if you were planning on carrying all sorts of stuff on that ladder.
Try the new Murphy ladder they're advertising at HD, I looked it up & appears lightweight, inexpensive & handy, looks like great deal for rvers.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #10
Rhytech

Yeah, unfortunately, I was planning on hauling my sewage tote on the ladder. However, we'll have to look at a rear storage unit instead. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'm off to buy a ladder I guess!
Old 07-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Its probably not an engineering error but more likely an error on the production line. station "X" is responsible for the rear wall and since units are FLYING OFF THE LINE, the guy at at that station probably just stuck a sticker on and let it go to the next station where another guy puts the wrong labels on the drain valves and then another station for the 50A sticker over the 30A connection.
Or, since the rear wall is "not laminated, but installed by components" someone just installed the rear wall "backwards"... that would account for the "reinforcement on the roof not lining up with the reinforcement location on the rear wall...

Honestly, if you look critically at those "escape windows" and how difficult they are to open and even more difficult to climb through, does it really "much matter about where the ladder is installed" ???

More things than you can imagine are "dreamed up by RVIA" and "incorporated by the industry" in so many ways that it's laughable at the implementation.... Think about things like the "EXIT" decal over the only exterior door, the tiny "sewer outlet" decal located over each dump valve handle or the "locate TV here" decal that's "slapped on the wall somewhat close to the backer plate".... And then there's the maximum weight decal located in the only outside storage area in the trailer (as if you could move some heavy items to another outside storage area)....

And, let's not forget that rear bumper with its maximum load decal !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #12
Northofu1

My model has two rear windows, neither emergency escapes, the ladder is installed over the drivers side window. I also have the 15.5 Multitech telescopic ladder from HD.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
Paulyd99

Why no ladder no walkable roof?

I've seen this line quoted on so many threads and I don;t understand why. Was this something that was true in the past and isn't a thing anymore? I have watched countless videos on YT that say all the roofs on New Passports are walkable, yet they do not come with a ladder. I've even questioned several dealers about this and ALL have said the same thing. Walkable... just no ladder.
Paulyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

You probably want to do a little more research on your findings. I can find nothing from Keystone that says the all roofs on the Passports are walkable. Have you found that documentation. Realize that youtube videos from dealers are inaccurate at best - they will tell you what you want to hear to sell the unit. As far as "walkable", I suppose they all are whether they are meant to be or not. Just depends on what measure of risk or precautions on wants to take to "walk" on it.

There have been recent posts about the rear wall of some units being braced for a ladder but it's not there with the owner assuming a walkable roof. I've not seen the outcome of any of those attempts. IMO you err on the side of safety and historical proofs. If Keystone will provide you a written, bulletproof letter stating your roof is walkable I would proceed and let them take the hit if it failed. Without that, and just assuming, places you in the driver's seat for anything that happens.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
travelin texans

Watching dealers videos or reading their brochures is definitely maybe at best, but a salesman telling you anything of any value or truth is highly questionable.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #16
Paulyd99

Starting to see that. I reached out to manufacturer directly. Let’s see what answer I get.
Paulyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:08 PM   #17
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhytech View Post
The one window is the rear emergency ext window and IF a ladder was installed it would block the exit.

Did Keystone really make this a terrible design or am I missing something?
You might enjoy seeing where these rocket scientists located my park cable input.

I had a learning moment discovering that license plate hinges are much rarer items than I had expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5606.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	28974  
Old 07-31-2020, 06:17 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
You might enjoy seeing where these rocket scientists located my park cable input.

I had a learning moment discovering that license plate hinges are much rarer items than I had expected.
Hey, in Keystone's defense that tag wasn't there when they built it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:19 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Poor placement? I’ve lost count of how many black tank rinser ports are directly above the shore power connection, shore power directly above the furnace exhaust....don’t get me started.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:42 PM   #20
Bill-2020

Wait just one second there! I'm supposed to have "Sewer Outlet" stickers?! I got the 50amp sticker next to my 30amp connection instead of the sewer stickers... dang I feel ripped off

Tags
ladder