Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #141
kcamp99186

I have a 2015 30RIPR as well and my floor has been going soft for 2 years now. Keeps getting worse. The affected area is between the slide outs, all around the island. Was thinking of supporting the slides and removing/replacing the floor, but am now considering trading it for something with a real floor. Might change my mind if Keystone is making repairs under a warranty or defect status.

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #142
Roose17

Issue Found

Got word from Keystone warranty on our repair. The cause was a faulty seal on the main entry door and the belt line skirt molding along parts of the trailer. Once water penetrated the unit the paper layer and the thin particle board soaked it up like a sponge. The new hyper-deck is not supposed to wick water like the old style.

However the true problem with the 2017-2018 units is not the flooring, but the seals ( or lack of ) which allowed water to penetrate the unit.

Roose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #143
danf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I read a couple comments saying the floor is "cardboard". Is it not in fact luan? Luan being an actual wood product similar to a very thin layer of plywood.

Regarding the plastic flooring layers that took the place of luan, our 2020 Cougar 26RBSWE was made in 10/2019. We have the darco covered luan. I don't know when Keystone began using the new plastic.

Yeah I call it cardboard. It's actually luan type of material that has outer cardboard layers with wood in the middle. It's like you took a piece of luan and then applied a thin layer of shoebox cardboard to the outside surfaces. The unfortunate thing is the cardboard layer (since it's on the outside surface) is what is glued to the styrofoam and frame members to make the floor sandwich. When water hits that cardboard, it just disintegrates and delaminates while also acting as a sponge. Imagine leaving a shoebox or cereal box outside in the rain. That's what happens to it. The "cardboard" floor is what it is and it would be mostly fine except that it has zero tolerance for getting wet.

I don't know when they switched to the new floor. I seem to recall reading that it was mid 2020 model year.
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #144
DCARLTON

I would call it cardboard or worse. These are pics of mine before it went back

The first 3 pictures are from the bottom looking up, the 4th picture was underneath the flooring (topside)

This was inside
Georgia
DCARLTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #145
stockboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCARLTON View Post
I can't wait to hear the cause. My 30RIPR is an opposing slide with an island in the middle. The damage on mine was behind the island, in the middle of the room, no water source around and hard to believe that water came from the tires. Someone I met on Facebook with the exact same model, his was in front of the island, in the middle of the room, no where near a water source.
Middle of the room water could be from a slide. We discovered the large slide on our 2018 29rld Cougar was missing both the outside and inside slide seals from the factory. Water was in the middle of the floor after a rain when the big slide was retracted in. Don't think the floor was damaged, but the cabenets have damage next to the floor where they soaked up the water and split.

stockboro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, floor