Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

Unlimited 4G LTE for RVers

Mobilsat @ $99 a month; kind of wordy article but if I was full timing; would look at this service:

https://rvlife.com/unrestricted-inte...m_medium=email
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Roscommon48

I'm a vet and have verizon at $67 a month.

I also have a basic back up phone from puretalk which used AT&T.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

I did a quick look at "UNLIMITED" on Verizon and their most expensive plan said UNLIMITED MOBILE HOTSPOT (30 Gigabyes at 4G LTE). I don't understand unlimited but it would have to include a mobile hotspot being unlimited. 30 gigs of data will be binge watching Netflix for less than a week. I understand some Verizon customers may have plans that are no longer available and TRUE unlimited plans. BTW: I am a vet as well and use Consumer Cellular.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I would be leery of the "unlimited" plans from Verizon. I've had them for decades and they fit us well, but, I wanted to go with a hotspot, JetPack or anything to give us wifi in remote places. Depending on the "sales rep" unlimited was "unlimited", not throttling back, no limits, no downgrades. I knew better and went through about 4 Verizon locations and the most knowledgeable, honest guy was one that was a "vendor", not a company store. After visiting with him I barraged the Verizon sales folks (phone) and after their initial spiel they finally admitted that no, I could not get the hotspot with "unlimited" and then use Netflix like we do. It would be chopped off. So much for that and do your homework when delving into those "can't believe it's true" plans...they aren't there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:30 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

I posted the ariticle because it does appear that this service is truly unlimited. AT&T does the same thing with the word "unlimited". It is not. Some companies throttle you back to dark-age speeds when you reach a certain data limit and some give you unlimited but you can only use it on your phone and not a hot spot. I didn't want to really get into an argument about carriers as many full time RVers know that unlimited internet is a pretty difficult thing. Just read the article and make up your own mind.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:43 AM   #6
markcee

About 5 months in with Visible (Verizon owned/4G). It offers true unlimited hotspot use with the only drawback being that 'regular' Verizon users will take precedence in periods of high usage. I have used it at campsites in Arizona through to Ohio and have was able to access my Hulu account and watch without issue. Sure you get occasional freezes, but I think you will likely experience that with any cellular connection. Price is right as well...we have 3 lines, all unlimited data/including hotspot for $30 each per month. Added the third line recently to primarily keep in the trailer when we have it parked for weekend use for extended periods. This way we can access the AC via InCommand Global connect to fire it up and cool things down while en route from home. We will also use this to keep tabs on trailer temp via Global Connect when we are away from the campsite and our dogs are in the trailer. I was using the Nimble temp monitoring device and app for this, but adding the additional Visible line was more versatile and cost effective.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:12 AM   #7
JBCayman

Our new RV came with the furrion antenna and router hookup (router had to purchase separately). Their biggest data plan was 10 Gb for 65$ per month. As an IT person, that is way low. Come to find out, the furrion router circuit board is actually an umbrella company of verizon. I swapped out the default sim from Furrion and replaced with Verizon and it worked. This setup is a WIFI/CELL 4G-LTE Setup. It also comes with a GPS tracker. I’m not on the road yet, but will be in less than two weeks and will update my experience with connectivity. Keeping in mind that we are not planning to go off the grid during our travels. I work full time remotely and have to have internet for email at minimum.
JBCayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #8
Gobirds38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCayman View Post
Our new RV came with the furrion antenna and router hookup (router had to purchase separately). Their biggest data plan was 10 Gb for 65$ per month. As an IT person, that is way low. Come to find out, the furrion router circuit board is actually an umbrella company of verizon. I swapped out the default sim from Furrion and replaced with Verizon and it worked. This setup is a WIFI/CELL 4G-LTE Setup. It also comes with a GPS tracker. I’m not on the road yet, but will be in less than two weeks and will update my experience with connectivity. Keeping in mind that we are not planning to go off the grid during our travels. I work full time remotely and have to have internet for email at minimum.
This very interesting to me to find out. I currently am using a Jetpack from Verizon and it is limited. I am also in the IT field and looking for a way to work remotely from my RV.

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #9
fatcatzzz

The problem with all the satellite internet I have seen is the latency speed. The satellites are in a permanent orbit 17000+ mile above the earth witch makes the time the signal travels to the satellite and back to earth very long compared to cell signals. That being said, Starlink is going to be a much more viable option when it goes on line. Sats are much closer to earth making latency time much faster. Starlink will be here very soon. It has started beta testing. Until then, I would suggest biting the bullet and staying with cell internet. As stated above Visible is a good option as long as you tether a wifi router to it as the Visible contract only allows one devise to be connected. Visible only see the router as one devise and all your wifi (computer, tv,) connect to the router. I have used this with a load sharing router so I can use Visible and my existing hotpot ( grandfathered ATT) to share the load. This has worked well for us from North Carolina to Oregon and all the state in between.
Hope this helps.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #10
JBCayman

I tested briefly while the trailer was in a bad connectivity spot of town where I have it stored until we hit the RV campsites and was able to Factime with the wife from my phone while connected to the LTE router. I disabled the cell connection on the phone and only had wifi enabled. Seemed to work pretty good. We’ll be at a nearby campsite in two weeks which starts our 6-9 month rv trip. So- I’ll keep up with my experiences on the connection on this post if it helps.
JBCayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Take a careful look at the Visible (by Verizon) program... There's always a "catch" or a "consideration" to make:

A couple with this plan:
+Mobile hotspot speeds capped at 5 Mbps and limited to one tethered device at a time.
*In times of traffic, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.

From what I can see, there is no provision to add a "JetPac" to the Visible plan, so connecting a TV, tablet or laptop would mean using your phone as a "hot spot" which, for some phones, causes some issues with battery heat/overheat and using the phone to make voice calls/texting while in "hot spot mode"...

The price is good, but .......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #12
markcee

Forgot about that router requirement with Visible. Since Visible is our primary provider we have 3 separate Visible lines anyway so we just activate the hotspot on each, giving us enough capacity.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Forgot about that router requirement with Visible. Since Visible is our primary provider we have 3 separate Visible lines anyway so we just activate the hotspot on each, giving us enough capacity.
So, if I read your response correctly, you have to use three $40 connections to obtain more than one connection and to achieve a speed comparable to a JetPac ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-06-2020, 07:59 AM   #14
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Take a careful look at the Visible (by Verizon) program... There's always a "catch" or a "consideration" to make:

A couple with this plan:
+Mobile hotspot speeds capped at 5 Mbps and limited to one tethered device at a time.

From what I can see, there is no provision to add a "JetPac" to the Visible plan, so connecting a TV, tablet or laptop would mean using your phone as a "hot spot" which, for some phones, causes some issues with battery heat/overheat and using the phone to make voice calls/texting while in "hot spot mode"...

Yep...always a catch. I was concerned about that ‘in time of traffic’ business when we signed up, but so far so good. I had AT&T for years and had no issues with it when we lived in Ohio, but it was terrible here in Arizona once out of populated areas. So far with Visible, I have had a viable data connection even when I’ve been in locations with 1-bar signal strength.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #15
fatcatzzz

Quote:

A couple with this plan:

The key here is the router. Phone is tethered to router with a usb cable. The phone only sees the router as it's one connection. The router see everything else. Visible does not see any difference in data as it only see the data from the router. In theory you can have as many devises connected to the router as it is able to see. As for the hotspot, it is connected to the router via a CAT 6 cable. With load sharing enabled the data will be shared between the phone and the hotspot. If the phone slows the router will move data to hotspot and visa versa. The router must have a USB input and a CAT 6 input, and be able the allow load sharing. Not every router has these option, but one can be bought for a reasonable price. Not as complicated as it sounds to setup.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
The key here is the router. Phone is tethered to router with a usb cable. The phone only sees the router as it's one connection. The router see everything else. Visible does not see any difference in data as it only see the data from the router. In theory you can have as many devises connected to the router as it is able to see. As for the hotspot, it is connected to the router via a CAT 6 cable. With load sharing enabled the data will be shared between the phone and the hotspot. If the phone slows the router will move data to hotspot and visa versa. The router must have a USB input and a CAT 6 input, and be able the allow load sharing. Not every router has these option, but one can be bought for a reasonable price. Not as complicated as it sounds to setup.
Hope this helps.

It's my understanding that the "maximum download is 5MBPS"... whether the phone is "tethered to a router with multiple laptops connected" or the phone is tethered to a "single laptop", the maximum speed is 5MBPS... The limitation is, as I understand it:

using the phone, it shares that 5MBPS with the laptop
using the phone tethered to a router, ALL the laptops share that 5MBPS...

So essentially, if using the phone and 1 laptop, you share 5MBPS or using the phone and router, ALL the laptops share the 5MBPS... In other words, with 5 devices connected to the router, each would get 1/5 of the 5MBPS ?????

Can you connect 2 phones to the router to increase the speed to 10MBPS ???? If you can't then essentially, the more devices connected (and in use) the slower the speed of each device, causing them to actually operate at "near the throttle down speed of a JetPac that's in "data cap speed"?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #17
fatcatzzz

Quote:
It's my understanding that the "maximum download is 5MBPS"... whether the phone is "tethered to a router with multiple laptops connected" or the phone is tethered to a "single laptop", the maximum speed is 5MBPS... The limitation is, as I understand it:

So essentially, if using the phone and 1 laptop, you share 5MBPS or using the phone and router, ALL the laptops share the 5MBPS... In other words, with 5 devices connected to the router, each would get 1/5 of the 5MBPS ?????

Can you connect 2 phones to the router to increase the speed to 10MBPS ???? If you can't then essentially, the more devices connected (and in use) the slower the speed of each device, causing them to actually operate at "near the throttle down speed of a JetPac that's in "data cap speed"?????
You are correct if the phone was the only bandwidth source. Even though I have seem much higher speeds. But with the second bandwidth source connected to the router the total bandwidth can be increased. Say your data requires a 10 mbps load. the router would use the 5 mbps from the phone and an additional 5 mbps from the hotspot to provide the 10 mbps required.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

The router should share and decide by demand, what device get's what amount of throughput. In other words if the router has 5 mb/s input and only one device is active it will get the speed it demands up to the maximum. Two devices doesn't meanneach get 1/2, if device A needs 3 and B needs 2 then each one will get what they require.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:

A couple with this plan:

I used an AT&T phone for a hotspot for awhile and the phone got hot. I then went to an AT&T hotspot and in fact have a couple of them that I needed a separate SIM card for and they worked OK. We paid about $130 a month for 32 gigs of data (my business is Internet based) and one day AT&T called my wife (I was not there) and offered her an "unlimited" plan for less money than what we were paying. She signed up and the next day my hotspot went dead. No hotspot allowed on this "unlimited plan". My wife called AT&T and complained and they told her she had to go onto their website to look at the fine print which related no hotspot use. My wife tried to get them to revert us back to the plan we had the day before and they refused. We dropped AT&T at that point and went to about the only option available which was Hughesnet. It did give us limited data each month but was actually more than AT&T... think it was about 50 gigs of data for about the same price and speeds were better; never the 25 mb/ps they claimed but enough to stream 1080P but when the satellite was busy, speeds slowed and sometimes Netflix was 480 or 720 as a result and HD movies became SD. We later had other alternatives for home internet and dropped Hughesnet in favor of these. We are now on fiber.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The router should share and decide by demand, what device get's what amount of throughput. In other words if the router has 5 mb/s input and only one device is active it will get the speed it demands up to the maximum. Two devices doesn't meanneach get 1/2, if device A needs 3 and B needs 2 then each one will get what they require.
Yep, that's the way I understand it as well.... The "rub" comes when there is a 5MBPS input and, let's say, 3 devices connected to the router... Each devices "wants 4 MBPS"... you can't get 12MBPS from a 5MBPS source... So, EVERY device slows down to a crawl, freezes, won't connect, drops connections, etc...

fatcatzzz said that you can "double up on input devices" to increase the speed "throughput of the router"... I've not yet seen a router with multiple inputs, although that doesn't mean they don't exist...

To me, having a 5MBPS phone acting as a "hot spot" connected to a router (to eliminate the "1 device limitation" of the Visible system) would be "OK for one router connection" but would "be a significant limitation" if there were two or three people, all connected to the router, sharing that "hot spot connection"....

A few months ago, we "heard about a new Verizon unlimited WIFI plan" with no throttle-back speeds.... As I understand it, a few people signed up, spent significant money on "required equipment for that plan", and a few months later, the plan was dropped, leaving them with expensive equipment, and the only alternative plan was "almost like the old plans before they bought into the new one"....

I wonder if this "Visible unlimited data with no throttle-back speeds" will, in a couple of months, start having "exceptions and carve-outs" that make the plan "less than it is today"..... I suppose only time will tell, eh???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS