Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
ferraridriver69

possible purchase

To the experts in this group. I am new to the group. I am looking at buying this 2010 Keystone cougar Xlite 31SQB.
Looks amazing on all aspects except for this issue on the front. I'd love to hear your alls opinion If I may possibly be looking at a future nightmare. I understand that none of you are psychics. lol

Thank you kindly
Karl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5984.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	23092  
ferraridriver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Roscommon48

possible water damage to front....I'd be concerned personally.

I'd want to understand clearly what is going on with the front end.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

You said it looks amazing in all aspects except the front. Have you thoroughly checked for any previous leaks or water intrusion? You need to be sure of that first. After that, I've seen LOTS of trailers that look like that and I don't think it's caused from water but more the material on the front buckling. Just passed an Altitude? today coming down the street that looked worse than that but he was headed out to camp looked like. Just need to determine if there's another cause other than buckling from sun exposure or something like that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
ferraridriver69

Yes, I will check more closely. Just wanted some advice before doing so. Thank you for the prompt responses.
ferraridriver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It might be water intrusion, it may not be.....

Look carefully for water stains on the back walls of the closets on each side of the bed. Pull the mattress off the platform, look for stains on the mattress and on the platform where it meets the front wall. Open the front pass through compartment, inspect for dampness and signs of water stains.

If you see any evidence of water or water damage, run the other way. If it's dry on the inside, then it's probably cosmetic. At that point it's more about what you want than about a wise investment vs a gamble......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:06 PM   #6
Wyldfire

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=delamination
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
CaptnJohn

I know couples that own newer Outback and are happy. They were aware of this going into their purchase and research indicates it should not happen on their trailers.

If this was not noticed at the time of purchase by the buyer it is unlikely the seller was aware.

At 11 years old entry level trailers are nearing the end of projected life span. Nothing should be a total surprise.

The big chuckle came expecting Keystone to provide assistance in a situation such as this. I do know like the buyer I’d be disappointed and frustrated too. For that reason I always buy new and trade/sell every 3-5 years.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
busterbrown

There was a post on an RV facebook group a month that I was following. The owner had a front fiberglass panel that looked almost the exact same. Posters said it was the release of glue on the backside of the panel due to sun and heat exposure. I had my suspicions and made mention that it looked more like water penetration around the marker light at the top.

The owner took it to a local dealer and reported back that it was indeed due to lack of sealant around the light.

Take a look paying close attention to those lights and the front roof seam. Good chance that it's not benign / cosmetic flaw.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:52 AM   #9
Roscommon48

question to captnjohn...you made reference that you'd want advice from a manufacturer on a 10 year trailer???? what could a manufacture tell you anyway other than it was 10 years old?

it is just naive to think that one would so why would you be frustrated? If you called keystone about anything they will/and do refer you to a dealer who can phsically see what is going on.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:30 AM   #10
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
question to captnjohn...you made reference that you'd want advice from a manufacturer on a 10 year trailer???? what could a manufacture tell you anyway other than it was 10 years old?

it is just naive to think that one would so why would you be frustrated? If you called keystone about anything they will/and do refer you to a dealer who can phsically see what is going on.

No idea why you think I’d call Keystone on anything beyond a 1 year old unit. I said at 11 they have already nearly met their life expectancy. Having only owned it for 3 months the frustration is understood to find a problem growing that was not there at purchase. I also said the seller probably had no idea that they as happening and a buyer would have looked closely before purchase. Notice I stated I only buy new and every 3-5 years. My last 5 fifth wheels were Keystone and had other new ones from them also. There are contacts there that will help to a point before passing you to a dealer. No, I’ll not pass out the contacts.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
Tbos

This summer traveling to TN I paid particular attention to TT going the other way. Most without a 1 piece cap had flexing visible from the wind resistance going down the road. That combined with heat can make the backing come off and make it permanently wrinkle. However, water intrusion can do the same. As stated previously, check everything to make sure there are no signs of water intrusion.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:20 AM   #12
Palmettoman

The front cap on my new to me Outback looks the same. The trailer belonged to family members before I got it so I know the history. It looks perfect on the inside and in the storage area. I chalk mine up to heat being the main culprit. You can see some of the delam in the attached pic from where I was polishing the siding. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1383.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	23122
Palmettoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:31 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Bryan,

The front of your 2008 Outback looks remarkably good considering that it's been exposed to the "harsh Florida environment" for the past 12 years. Just speculation here, but that "rippled front FILON sheeting" may be oil-canning rather than delamination. Either way, the trailer looks great to be as old as it is.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote