Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
waltheraustin

CO detector

Last weekend was the first cold weather trip we've had and the first night the detector starting going off so we changed the batteries and it continued so we turned off the heat and froze the rest of the night. Woke up and decided to turn it on the warm up. It didn't alarm any more which I thought was odd. Did it have to burn off something and basically clean itself since the heater hadn't been used?
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
spade117

I have heard and read that quite a few people have an initial smell that happens the first time they use their furnace. Not sure how that would relate to the CO2 sensor though.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
I have heard and read that quite a few people have an initial smell that happens the first time they use their furnace. Not sure how that would relate to the CO2 sensor though.
Yeah not sure, that's the only thing I could think of. Made me a little nervous to not smell anything
Old 02-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
bobbecky

The CO detector will go off normally when it senses CO, carbon monoxide, not CO2 which is carbon dioxide which we exhale when we breathe. CO is produced by burning fuels, like running generators, car exhaust, and such. You don’t say how old the detector is, but they are ‘supposed to’ have about a 5 to 7 year life. I had to replace ours, which uses a 9 volt battery, when it was about 3 years old, and it was doing the same thing, sounding the alarm for no reason. I’ve also had to replace the propane detector and the smoke/fire detector way before their alleged end of life time. You have no idea what chemicals these detectors have been exposed to, which drastically shortens their life because the sensors will deteriorate from age and exposure to various substances. It’s better to replace a suspect detector than risk not having it work properly, regardless of cost.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Steveo57

I would be very careful. I've had my CO detector go off before when I started the furnace up after it hadn't been run for a while. Maybe something was a little plugged up or something was stuck but I put a separate monitor in and it was also reading high.

It fixed itself after shutting the furnace off and restarting it later.

As you know CO is odorless and colorless so you won't know if there's a problem until your dead!

Ever since then I have always used two detectors just to give me piece of mind.

You've probably got three detectors in your RV. A CO detector, a smoke detector, and a propane leak detector. It's important to know which one is what so if it alarms you know what it's trying to warn you about.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
travelin texans

Mine has a combination CO/LP monitor hardwired into the rv baretry, if the battery is low the monitor will alarm. Also some aerosol sprays, hair spray & air fesheners particularly, the DW uses will cause it to alarm immediately.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
ADQ K9

Never had mine go off with the heater on but last spring had to replace the batteries (3 AA). Put in regular alkaline batteries, they lasted the whole summer till the day I put it in winter storage and then low battery warning started going off. Should I upgrade to a lithium battery for longer life?
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
waltheraustin

Yeah, definitely made us nervous until the next morning it was quiet with a green blinking light. Getting another one is probably the best bet
Old 02-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Mine has a combination CO/LP monitor hardwired into the rv baretry, if the battery is low the monitor will alarm. Also some aerosol sprays, hair spray & air fesheners particularly, the DW uses will cause it to alarm immediately.
I had a dog who used to sleep on the floor near the CO/LP monitor. On more than one occasion the alarm went off when she farted. I love the look on an embarassed dog's face!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltheraustin View Post
Yeah, definitely made us nervous until the next morning it was quiet with a green blinking light. Getting another one is probably the best bet
Look for the ones that have a readout so you can see what's going on.

I've used these.

Kidde Battery Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display KN-COPP-B-LPM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y6V5CI..._hv0ACbRJDASZ0
Old 02-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #11
waltheraustin

I have one in the house near the furnace so problem solved!

Sort of
Old 02-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #12
meaz93*

Also, always have at least one window cracked open when firing up the furnace.....I know it's cold but better safe than sorry!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_181654.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	20385
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #13
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
Also, always have at least one window cracked open when firing up the furnace.....I know it's cold but better safe than sorry!Attachment 20385
Will do from now on
Old 02-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #14
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
Also, always have at least one window cracked open when firing up the furnace.....I know it's cold but better safe than sorry!Attachment 20385
Now that is FUNNY!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #15
BadmanRick

My Co detector died in the middle of the night after 6 years. Could not replace with same type as original because they were no longer made. Upgraded to a combo fire /co Kidde. Runs on as batteries and talks to you. Replace the old one and you should not have any problem.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #16
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
My Co detector died in the middle of the night ...
In the middle of the night? It figures! It started squawking and making lots of noise, yes?

I thought ours was going bad at one time, but it was the 12V supply from the trailer (the converter was on its way out, thus the batter wasn't charging). Hopefully I'll be good for several more years.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote