Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #1
Amy&Dave

Switching out mini blinds

We have a Passport 2670 and would like to switch out the metal mini blinds in the master bedroom area, kitchen and in the windows to the bunkhouse. They are flimsy and noisy and the kids kick them at night. Would like to change all to the fabric-like accordion blinds that are on the large main living area windows. Does anyone know how to do that or where to start?
Amy&Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
SteveW2993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dave View Post
We have a Passport 2670 and would like to switch out the metal mini blinds in the master bedroom area, kitchen and in the windows to the bunkhouse. They are flimsy and noisy and the kids kick them at night. Would like to change all to the fabric-like accordion blinds that are on the large main living area windows. Does anyone know how to do that or where to start?
Same trailer - same situation. In fact in the MB the blinds on the passenger side of the trailer were hard to operate - to the point the blinds pulled out of the wall. Now we have zip ties holding it to the valence. Love the blinds in the slide windows though. Wish they were all like that...

2018 F-150 King Ranch SCrew (3.5 EB, Max Tow)
2018 Passport GT 2670BH (Using Equalizer 4 Pt)
Nova Scotia, Canada
SteveW2993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Any RV parts department can measure and order them for you. They're available online at any RV parts site, Amazon and EBay. Don't be tempted to order "home style blinds" from Lowes, Home Depot or places like "Shades R Us" as they usually are "gravity hanging" and not secured at the bottom. That type likely wouldn't survive even one "rough tow event".

RV blinds "ain't cheap" so "pat your wallet and keep it happy" when you start the buying process.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
GMcKenzie

Not sure I would change them in the kitchen area. Probably a fire hazard, plus I'm sure they would get greasy and be harder to clean than the metal ones.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Not sure I would change them in the kitchen area. Probably a fire hazard, plus I'm sure they would get greasy and be harder to clean than the metal ones.
EVERY RV that I have worked on has metal blind in the vicinity of the cook top. I couldn't find any reference to any code though.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
EVERY RV that I have worked on has metal blind in the vicinity of the cook top. I couldn't find any reference to any code though.
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it cost you: I have also never found an RVIA code requirement for metal blinds in the kitchen area, but every trailer I've seen has them. My thought/reasoning for that is the ability to keep them clean. If you can imagine the grease splatter/cooking grease film getting on fabric blinds, you'll realize that trying to clean them would be impossible or nearly so. A quick spray of 409 or other cleaner will remove that kind of soil from aluminum blinds. So, even if RVIA doesn't require metal blinds and even though you can get "non-flammable fabric shades" it's more the "functionality and cleaning process" than the "fire prevention"..... JMHO

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote