Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #21
LewisB

Lots of good advice so far.
  • If it snows while your slides are out, make sure to remove any accumulated snow from the top of the slide before bringing them in. The inside warmth does not melt snow on the slide top (at least on our rig).
  • Much of this is temperature and location driven. We live in Arizona and don't get much super cold temperature at home, so it is not uncommon for us to NOT winterize the rig.
  • But when we travel, we might get into the cold. So almost the opposite situation from "Mikelff" above. If we are going for a night or two, we don't worry about winterization. If going for a week of boon docking, that's a different set of circumstances.
A little planning ahead goes a long way. We love going out in winter - wish we could do more!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #22
Happycamper2018

go to harbor freight and buy moving quilts like 5 bucks cover your windows at night , we use grip clamps to hold them on window valance , electric heater plus our fireplace . was in west yellowstone woke up 22 degees out we where nice and toasty in camper
Happycamper2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
You must be much younger than I am and not familiar with some the terms we grew up with 50, 60, 70 years ago.

Cat Bath: When you use a minimal amount of water, in a small basin or even a small pot, a small wash cloth, and a bar of soap. That's all the water you use and you toss the used water on the ground when done.

I was in the Army from 1982 to 1988 and even then, we were taught to take "cat baths" using our steel pots (helmets without the liner) and one helmet full, was all the water we got.

They instructed (basic training), brush teeth first, spit the water on the ground. Wash face with a wash cloth, rinse. Ring the wash cloth out on the ground. Get it wet again, more soap and move downward, doing under arms and "privates" last. Rinse wash cloth one more time and toss out remaining water from the pot (if any left).

This is a cat bath.

If the camper is already winterized and the original poster is planning on winter camper and camping in freezing weather, he will either need to unwinterize, keep pipes from freezing, and then winterize again when done. Or ... dry camp and run no risk of waterlines freezing.

And just for the record, if you've never heard the term "Navy Shower" either, that is a term that came from the military where sailors on a ship were given a limited amount of water to take a shower. Because the water was so limited, a Navy Shower means, turning on the shower, get wet, shut the water off. Soap up. Turn water back on and rinse... all within a specified amount of water run time. Which is very short/

I was US Regular Army long before you were in and I guess big green didn't feel the need to tell me how to brush our teeth or wash. Different generation, I guess. Big green suggested I change my socks frequently.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #24
Spytraveler

Propane tank regulator rubber hose leak in below 32F

Hi there,
Last week I was camping in the mountains in NC (ski trip) and noticed that the rubber hoses (both of them) have started to leak propane due to low temperature deformation (21F). I tired to bend them in different direction and as I was playing with the hoses I could hear the propane leaking less or more, depending which direction I would push the hoses. It seems that the leakage originated in the area where metal fitting is attached to the rubber hose. Has anyone experience anything similar?
Spytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spytraveler View Post
Hi there,
Last week I was camping in the mountains in NC (ski trip) and noticed that the rubber hoses (both of them) have started to leak propane due to low temperature deformation (21F). I tired to bend them in different direction and as I was playing with the hoses I could hear the propane leaking less or more, depending which direction I would push the hoses. It seems that the leakage originated in the area where metal fitting is attached to the rubber hose. Has anyone experience anything similar?
Welcome to the forum. You don't list what year, make or model camper you have so I have no idea how old the hoses are. The hose that goes from the tank to the regulator is called a pigtail. They are very easy to replace.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #26
Spytraveler

Thank you Flybouy.
I have 2020 Bullet 243. Would Camping World or any other RV store typically have pigtails in stock? The trailer is under warranty but I am more than happy to replace them myself since I do not expect it to be expensive at all...
I am just surprised that it would deform under low temperature to the point where it would start to leak gas.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn't think that temp should present a problem with the hose assembly. Did you check with spraying a soapy solution to confirm that it's the hose and jot the threaded fitting leaking? Any RV parts dept should have them in stock and most any propane dealer like Suburban or Southern States where they do tank installs for homes can make them.

If you DIY the replacement use Teflon tape that's rated for LP gas (typically yellow not white).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #28
Spytraveler

I appreciate advise. I have ordered two pigtails with the gas pressure indicators already.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #29
Ken / Claudia

Mine have been used in 15f-20f for a week at a time and are as old or older than the trailer. No leaks so far. Now they sit in 12 to 20f overnight on the RV pad next to the house. Not being used. I will be checking them during the spring along with the rest of the RV before use. Maybe just buy new anyway. I expect them to be about ready for replacement.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:08 PM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
I appreciate advise. I have ordered two pigtails with the gas pressure indicators already.
If this is what you ordered, GOOD LUCK!
From the experience I had with them the indicator on the changeover regulator was just as accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31Os+sYHaoL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	31297  
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:49 AM   #31
merchjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Jackmanz View Post
lol, Ohio actually. We’re headed for Amish Country for a few days.

I see your in the rust belt like me. Word of warning, the salt dust left on our road plays havoc with the metal on our trailers. I did a late Nov and early March trip and washed the unit each time when I got home. There was places I could not get and that summer those areas were all starting to rust more the the areas that were cleaned.

It got into the side mechanism, which is inside the frame in the underbelly and that started rusting up, even though I coated before winterizing. I can just imagine other items it got too. I will never take the trailer on salt roads again, they are just not built for it.

As for our trips they were in PA, we used a oil filled electric heater to help with the heat of the trailer. Durning the day, temps in the low 40s the oil filled heater headed the trailer nicely, during the night our furnace kicked in. At night it got into the 20 and even though we insulated our water hose, if started to freeze up. We just used our onboard water tank and filled the tank when we needed it. We made sure we dumped during the day so we did not have issues there. Good luck and enjoy the trip
merchjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #32
jimborokz

Quote:
Hi there,
Had a similar issue last winter. We keep a 100lb LP tank at our long term site and I had an extension hose I made up to connect it. One day as I was setting it up I smelled propane. I did the same thing wiggling the hose and hearing different sounds and smells. That hose was a cheap one and always was kind of stiff. I got a new hose at Lowe's and it is more flexible. It's like using a cheap stiff water hose. They just don't last.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Had a similar issue last winter. We keep a 100lb LP tank at our long term site and I had an extension hose I made up to connect it. One day as I was setting it up I smelled propane. I did the same thing wiggling the hose and hearing different sounds and smells. That hose was a cheap one and always was kind of stiff. I got a new hose at Lowe's and it is more flexible. It's like using a cheap stiff water hose. They just don't last.
Doubtful that hose from Lowes is rated for LP use due the the pressure (250 lbs +) or the extreme cold of the LP.
You're best option is to go to your local LP distributor & buy or have one made whatever length you chose that's designed for LP use. I had a 25' made about 12 years ago & still using it today.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-29-2020, 02:18 AM   #34
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Doubtful that hose from Lowes is rated for LP use due the the pressure (250 lbs +) or the extreme cold of the LP.
You're best option is to go to your local LP distributor & buy or have one made whatever length you chose that's designed for LP use. I had a 25' made about 12 years ago & still using it today.
No, I didn't just buy a length of rubber hose. It is specifically for LP use with connections and packaging listed it as high pressure.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
No, I didn't just buy a length of rubber hose. It is specifically for LP use with connections and packaging listed it as high pressure.
My comment was more to inform others that are new to this stuff that just any hose won't work for LP use.
Sorry to offend you!
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Hi there,
A little slow to respond but yes, I've had that exact same experience with an almost new trailer (1 1/2 year old). Hoses looked/felt like they were 50 years old.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:25 AM   #37
jimborokz

Quote:
My comment was more to inform others that are new to this stuff that just any hose won't work for LP use.
Sorry to offend you!
No offence taken and it was a good point to make.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:43 AM   #38
Danimal713

too much excitement- even for a dedicated professional pyro!

Quote:
If this is what you ordered, GOOD LUCK!
From the experience I had with them the indicator on the changeover regulator was just as accurate.
i bought similar connector with indicator gauge and the plastic handle cracked in two- WHILE I WAS COOKING ON MY GRILL! It was on my front porch of a log home we lived in for 25 years before moving to TN. The gas got to the flame in less than 2 seconds and the connection started on fire. Luckily it did not explode the tank. I ran off the porch into my yard saying a few "choice words". Then sizing up the situation realized I did not want a flaming grill in my wood porch of my wood house!. I ran past and got my big fire extinguisher from my shop and sprayed it down putting it out then undid the connection to shut the valve of tank. It destroyed the grill I had just rebuilt with all new burners and flavorizer bars. But no other damage so consider it fortunate. I won't buy/use those tank connectors with the gauge ever again. My son later said he knew it was serious because he heard me cussing- something I try to refrain from.
Now recently on our new-to-us 291KB Crossroads, the plastic cracked on tank connector and leaked so I replaced both pigtails with good quality ones and slightly longer to allow for future 30 # tank upgrade before we hit the road after wife gets retired. No flames on that one!
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter