Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
grey ghost

Pets

Just wondering how many people travel with pets? We did travel with "Buddy" our 16 year old Westhighland White Terrier until this past July when he crossed over that rainbow bridge. We miss him so much and he was able to see more of this great country than some people every do. He loved to go camping and followed you around as to lot get left behind if we even mentioned camping in a conversation. I don't think we will be getting another pet, to hard to give them up, he was a pure pleasure to travel with.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

My wife is a canine addict. I love my wife and am considered an enabler. We have decided to not take on any new fur babies (she actually does call them that) as we are getting on in years and have no desire to leave a pack to someone else. We had 11 dogs just a few years ago and are now down to 8 due to older ones passing. One of my wife's favorites was also named Buddy. He was bit by a large rattler and we nursed him back from the brink (at $14K) and he lived several more years. We always go camping with one or two of the little mutts. Buddy's face got bit and you can see the effect in this pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buddy.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	30846  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

We are a cat house... not that kind, the feline kind. Max is the OG at 12 yrs old and is the one that goes since he always has. The others get taken care of. Y family.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
dutchmensport

Over our 36 years of marriage and 2 kids and 6 grandkids, we have traveled with all kinds of animals. Every one was a beloved pet. We have had several dogs, all of them were magnificent travelers and camper dog.

We have had several cats. Now, traveling with cats is a new experience. Some travel well, some do not. But each one really loved the camper and at home, would sit on the trailer steps just wanting in.

We also traveled with several birds. At one time we had 3 birds, each one different and we'd hang them in their cages from the awning so they could be outside.

We also had a pet chicken that was more human than my kids (and ate better than them to). She was a GREAT pet. She went swimming with us, rode bicycles with us, hiked with us, She was a great pet. She loved mashed potatoes and worms. What a combination.

We had an iguana, rabbits, mice, hamsters, fish, and pet rats. And yes, we traveled with all of them. Thank goodness, not all at once though. But when we rolled into town, it was quite a show.

Traveling with fish is an interesting experience. We took a large jar with a lid, made a hole in it, fill it with water from the aquarium, put the fish in, put the lid on, push the air pump hose through the hose, and plug the air pump into our small 400 watt portable inverter. I suppose we did well, none ever died.

We have 2 wiener dogs now (full blooded with papers) and a cat.

We miss greatly all of their predecessors. But we gave them all the best life possible and looking at the new guys, yes, we often shed a tear in rememberance.

If you still have love to give, there's a little doggie out there that needs you.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

We travel with Wilma and George (English Bulldogs). They are couch potatoes and well suited to life on the road. Even at 50 lbs. each, they still stretch out and relax in their kennel in the back seat of the truck. This year we added Rosie the Bunny to the family and her cage rides on top of the dogs kennel in the truck. Best part is, everyone has their own bed in the camper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3FDC22B4-7D5D-4F89-B17B-5ED3C23C5E29.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	579.3 KB
ID:	30847   Click image for larger version

Name:	8625A2DA-1CF3-45DD-AF37-A61425BE4363.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	675.9 KB
ID:	30848  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I've had dogs most of my life but they were hunting dogs and yard dogs primarily. Loved them but didn't let any of them in the house because I was allergic to dogs and cats (among other things).

10 years ago saw 3 little puppies (tiny) playing in our property next door. Figured they were deserted on a road nearby. Didn't mess with them and they played for 2 days. The 3rd day they were gone and didn't really think about it. Went out to grill that evening and on the other side of our fence I heard the most pitiful, high pitched cry I've ever heard (under a honeysuckle plant that grew over the fence). Called DW and asked her to walk around and see if that was a puppy on the other side. Sure enough a tiny baby was there, terrified and nothing but skin and bones. Some moron had used what appeared to be a car cigarette lighter and burned round holes into her skin through her fur. They had cut off one of her toes. Absolutely revolting. Her ribs were just poking out and she was quaking...but starving.

She was terrified of us but so hungry that when I took a piece of smoked sausage she reluctantly (very) followed me to the front door but that was it. Fed her and left her water (she would not come in) and told DW I figured she would be gone in the morning. She wasn't. She was there and seemed more willing to trust us. Moved her to the sunroom. At this point DW and I had a serious heart to heart about what to do with her. We couldn't keep her (we thought) and I couldn't bear to take her to the pound where I was sure she would be euthanized. Decided we would deal with it and I would find an allergy doctor but I wasn't going to put such a tiny, scared and abused dog in the yard to "deal with it".

Well, 10 years later she is an unbelievable joy and my night and day shadow - and has a licker that won't stop . She guards me and takes care of me like a little mommy. Travel is not really fun for her but she wants to be with us so she deals with it....and we're not going to stop traveling. Got tired of trying to find hotels/condos/resorts that allowed pups and were nice so we have opted for this route and really like it. Once landed Ginger is fine...like being at home. Oh, you know the best part? Out of doing this I LOST my allergies! To EVERYTHING! Absolutely unbelievable but it's true.

As far at those traveling with pets seems most do. My only beef are those that have untrained/uncontrolled pets that think they've found their own "back 40" and everyone can deal with it.

Sorry for the long post but taking her picture kind of got me going for a bit.

Edit: Crud, just checked the post and saw Gin upside down. Guess I had the camera turned the wrong way. She's actually not upside down
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201119_193418[1].jpg
Views:	83
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	30849  
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #7
GaryUT

Currently have 1 dog and 2 cats, the dog travels with us. We cant hardly get out of the house without him.

Been married for 30 years now, we have always had pets. In that time 4 dogs and 1 cat have gone over the rainbow bridge. It's hard, it feels like part of me dies with them.

Our current dog Gizmo, is 6 years old. I will most likely be retired when its his time to go. I plan on full timing for at least a year when I retire. I don't want another dog after him. As much as I enjoy having a dog there are times when he complicates things.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gizmo.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	30850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rosey and Pepper.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	30851  

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #8
QCMan
Gone Traveling

We have an RV because of our dogs. Life would be lonely and our dogs keep us more active than we might otherwise be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FAAF1203-F64D-44AD-9C31-62C47AF2F96C.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	30852  
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
Bill-2020

Our companion came to us from a vet who needed someone to weekend-foster some rescue animals. This little girl had some leg problems at 12 weeks of age and was handed to the vet (who doubles as a shelter) because the owner couldn't/wouldn't care for the puppy. The deal was a few days with us because the vet's kennel was full, then the puppy goes back for adoption. After a weekend the DW says to me, "She needs someone to take care of her, and I need something to take care of me."

We're three plus years into this and she's everything we both needed. She has lots of medical issues, we've handled those and in return she gives us love that is unconditional. She loves the hardware stores and her travel bed, loves the camper and travels well in DWs lap in her bed. Vet gave her 18 months of life... she's beat that by over anther 18 months. We hope for another 36 and will take all that we're given.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7813.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	30854  
Old 11-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #10
Javi

Max, runs the place
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201102_215002.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	30855  
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Max, runs the place

Our little one (above) never learned to bark. So that little full blooded Yorkie doesn’t yipe at the door or other alerting noises outside. Hates thunder but loves hearing the loud Harleys. Strange. She does what Max does, Javi. Small dog that takes up the whole dang thing she’s on!
Old 11-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #12
grey ghost

Thanks to all that have shared! Buddy did me running so that was nice and it helped me stay younger longer. I miss him so very much, he was my true Buddy. Pets are great, but sometimes a burden also. We live in Arizona and traveling in the summer time was difficult, could never leave him alone in the truck and most restaurants don't admit pets, but I would not trade all the great times we had with him. He loved the Ocean, just never figured out why it chased after him and then ran away again. No more however, too hard to say goodbye!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:55 AM   #13
notanlines

Back in the day, Patches found that a few beers, boating all day, and warm sun takes it's toll!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Windy P'wick (20).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	30858  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:13 AM   #14
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

We have 3 yappers, the black one is on drugs cause she didn't like to travel, takes her about a week to get used to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2890.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	30859  
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:48 AM   #15
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Back in the day, Patches found that a few beers, boating all day, and warm sun takes it's toll!

Now where did you find that picture of me last Halloween?!
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #16
ewbldavis

Sorry to hear - we had a 10 year old Beagle that passed last year. She rode with us in the truck. If you got within 10 feet of a Walmart bag in summer, she went nuts thinking it was time to head to camp!!

We now have a labradoodle. She's getting the hang of things, but equally enjoys time at camp...though with size difference, a little tighter in the truck!

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #17
Javi

By the way, here is Max upright..😁
He loads in the back seat of the truck and goes to sleep, even while I hookup the trailer. We have a routine when we get to the campsite and he sits up and watches me back in and level the trailer. Then the DW takes him for a walk while I put the slides out.

When we are loading up to head home, he gets a walk while I put everything up and then he loads up in the back seat and watches me hook up the trailer.

Then goes to sleep until we get to the storage lot and then he watches while I back in and unhook.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200814_103008.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	30860  
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #18
Ken / Claudia

On my 3rd lab that I trained and hunted with. Current one is 9.5 years old. They sure like to travel and some of that is going hunting. When getting the RV ready or a gun out all of them get amped up and ready to go.
While traveling I open the window far enough they can get that nose out and smell what ever they think they need. Close it when they are done.
This dog grew up going to a beach house monthly on a 140 mile each way trip.
He would be fine just relaxing after we got on the freeway, 90 minutes later I
would be driving up onto the hwy 101 bridge across the Columbia River he would get up and want to smell that salty air. After back on the land road he would lay down again for the 20 minutes left before we got to the home.
We find traveling with dogs takes more time due to more stops just for them. But that's okay it's always good to get and walk around few a few minutes.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #19
hornet28

We travel with Max a 5yr old 70 lb Goldendoodle. He has traveled fine since the day we got him. He was 9 wks old that day and rode in my wifes lap the 90 mi home like it was nothing. He has ridden 800 and 900 mi days no problem. He has the entire back of the crew cab. It's an 07 Classic and the rear seat folds like the Suburban's use to and we put a 4 time folded comforter down to cushion. He hasn't been in a crate since he was about 5 months old. He has the run of the house and trailer whether we're home or gone. He's been great, never gotten up on furniture, doesn't tear things up, doesn't wake us up in the middle of the night to go out and has been thoroughly housebroken since about 5 months of age
This picture is June of 19 at Crater Lake
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0231.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	30870  
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:30 AM   #20
InkedMarie

I can’t figure out how to share a picture but we travel with Ginger our 10yr old Brittany and O’Malley, our 5yr old Windsprite.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote