Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #101
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I've de-railed this thread pretty bad. I had a long stressful day and am going to sign off and shake hands with Jim Beam.
I like Jack myself, but what the he*l, have one for me.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #102
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I've de-railed this thread pretty bad. I had a long stressful day and am going to sign off and shake hands with Jim Beam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Yeah I’m going to look at auto trader nowl lol
Eliza Craig for me, but headed to bed now... 5 am is my wakeup... night night
Old 12-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #103
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I like Jack myself, but what the he*l, have one for me.
I like bourbon and legally Jack ain't bourbon. There's rules about that.
But yeah Jack is good. I haven't had any in years though. They do have good tours of their distillery.
Sip ya some Woodford Reserve CW.
OK, now I'm gone.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:32 AM   #104
xrated

The information brought forth in this post has been incredible....and I thank all of you for the shared knowledge. I've actually bookmarked this post in my RV Misc Info bookmark under the tire info folder. Thanks again.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #105
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
The information brought forth in this post has been incredible....and I thank all of you for the shared knowledge. I've actually bookmarked this post in my RV Misc Info bookmark under the tire info folder. Thanks again.
Just curious, was that information on the tires or the toddys?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #106
CWtheMan

Because I reference FMVSS frequently, I’ve taken an excerpt from a NHTSA document that describes – in part – the necessity for FMVSS.

Summary: The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Safety Act) prohibits the sale, manufacture for sale, import or introduction into interstate commerce of a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, unless fully compliant with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS).

FMVSS (standards) are written to insure that highway vehicles are not allowed to be sold without a certification that they and any certifiable equipment used in their manufacturing process has met the MINUMIM standard requirements required for vehicle certification.

I write about wheels/tires and their assembly. To insure I don’t misinterpret the standards written in FMVSS I normally give reference to my sources.

The U.S. Tire Manufacturer’s Association (USTMA) interprets FMVSS standards and writes tire industry standards that will insure all minimal standards are met.

The FMVSS are not the only regulatory standards. Many of the minimal standards found in FMVSS are written elsewhere and by a source with more clout than FMVSS. Therefore, FMVSS must include that information in their standards. The primary senior documents come from the Code of Federal Regulations. The most common ones are 49 CFR part 567 (vehicle certification) and CFR 570 (vehicle in motion inspections). They tell us to do something or tell another regulatory branch to insure something is done. In other words, they set the precedent/basis for compliance.

Okay, before we get to “overload” I’ll try to explain a couple of standards that are commonly disputed.

Original Tire Size and their replacements:

FMVSS 571.120 & 571.110 refers:

I’m going to use FMVSS 571.120 standard.

Government regulations do not like to have to keep explaining things. We should always keep that in mind when deciphering them.

571.120 Paragraph S5: Requirements…paragraph S5.1 tire & rim selection….paragraph S5.3.1 Tires; The size designation and the recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires such that the sum of the load ratings of the tires on each axle is appropriate for the GAWR.

(Because that information is then certified on the vehicle’s federal certification label, it becomes a minimum standard for that vehicle).

USTMA Replacement tire standard; Replacement tires should be the same as the OE size designation, or approved options, as recommended by the vehicle or tire manufacturer. Never choose a replacement tire of a smaller size or with less load-carrying capacity than the OE tire size at the specified vehicle tire placard pressure.

(That “should be” wording is because the vehicle manufacturer may provide options from another designated size).

Note: Size designation/designated size includes the prefix; such as LT, ST or P. Without any of those, it’s a euro-metric design.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #107
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just curious, was that information on the tires or the toddys?
The simple answer is.........YES!

Old 12-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #108
notanlines

I was hoping we'd continue with the bourbon talk!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #109
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Oh OK. So legally to be bourbon it has to have a certain percentage of corn, from memory at least 51%, and be distilled in the US. Jack Daniels is whiskey, and a pretty good one. Crown Royal is blended Canadian whiskey. I understand it is blended to the taste so their recipe may vary depending on how they plan to blend it. By the way their Rye is excellent. What I read, a lot of whiskey was shipped down the river to New Orleans. After they tasted the whiskey that had been stored and shipped in barrels they wanted more.
All together now: "Thank you Louisiana"!
Get you a Kentucky Bourbon Passport and get it stamped at all the distilleries you visit. Do not miss Woodford Reserve or Makers Mark, beautiful grounds.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-24-2020, 03:26 AM   #110
Northofu1

My two faves are Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace.
If anyone knows where Jim is holed up right now, I would bet he has a bottle of Pappy hidden in his rig.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:07 AM   #111
gearhead

Pappy's is expensive, very. Pretty much brings whatever the high bidder is. Beam owns a high percentage of the bourbon brands. They have some small batch that are supposedly good. I have just defaulted to Beam Black and Woodford Reserve.
Story...years ago we were doing the tour at Beam distillery. About lunch time we decided to get some of their BBQ. It was good and they have a little lunch stand and tables, very well done. So there was a guy at the next table talking to a couple foreign guys. He was cussing like a sailor. I thought he had made more that a few trips through the sample area. He stood up to leave and I noticed he had a Beam polo shirt on with his name sewn on it....Fred Noe. CEO
If you have never taken a tour of a distillery it's interesting. I worked in distilling for 40 years, but a bit different...petro-chem.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #112
Northofu1

I know all too well how expensive Pappy's is. I want to go through a few distillery tours while in Tennessee / Kentucky. I have been through Glenfiddich, that was an awesome tour. One of, if not the only, Scotch distilleries to bottle on site. In 1989 it was guarded by Canada Geese.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #113
gearhead

If I'm drinking scotch it'll be Glenfiddich.
You could make a pretty good vacation in Kentucky including the Bluegrass Parkway. The horse farms are awesome scenery.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #114
xrated

My wife and I toured the Buffalo Trace Distillery several years ago and enjoyed the tour very much. Honestly, I'm not much a drinker, but it was still lots of fun to see the processes and all the old buildings and such. When they took us to one of the barrel storage areas, is was just incredible to see hundreds of barrels of Pappy Van Winkle....among all the other product. We like their Buffalo Trace Bourbon Creme and it is almost impossible to find in any store, so we bought 4 bottles of it while we were there. They allow you to buy two bottles each, so we both bought two.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #115
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Going up with a load range, say, from LRC - LRD is not a tire size change.

Going from a ST205/75R15 to a ST215/75R15 is a tire size change.

Your Keystone owner's manual will tell you to seek information/recommendation/approval from the trailer manufacturer. That owner's manual information is there because NHTSA mandated it to be there.

Bottom line: In the tire standards, rules, regulations world, only the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier have the authority for size/design/options changes.
I just stumbled upon a post you made in 2018 “tire plus sizing” that seems to contradict this,as long as I make an auxiliary tire placard
Old 12-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #116
CWtheMan

[QUOTE=bjasin1;427019]I just stumbled upon a post you made in 2018 “tire plus sizing” that seems to contradict this, as long as I make an auxiliary tire placard[/QUOTE

The auxiliary placard is authorized by NHTSA. Approved options/plus sizes, even design changes are approved and authorized in the automotive end. What RV Trailer owners are supposed to do is seek options from their trailer manufacturer.

Some tire retailers will have auxiliary placards on hand. The do-it-yourselfer should make their own and place it adjacent to the original tire placard.

Here is an example of an automotive auxiliary placard. It would have to be modified for use with LT or ST tires because their load inflation charts are biased on load range letters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Placard_Label_348[1].jpg
Views:	155
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	31255
Old 12-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #117
jasin1

[QUOTE=CWtheMan;427025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
I just stumbled upon a post you made in 2018 “tire plus sizing” that seems to contradict this, as long as I make an auxiliary tire placard[/QUOTE

The auxiliary placard is authorized by NHTSA. Approved options/plus sizes, even design changes are approved and authorized in the automotive end. What RV Trailer owners are supposed to do is seek options from their trailer manufacturer.

Some tire retailers will have auxiliary placards on hand. The do-it-yourselfer should make their own and place it adjacent to the original tire placard.

Here is an example of an automotive auxiliary placard. It would have to be modified for use with LT or ST tires because their load inflation charts are biased on load range letters.

Attachment 31255
Thank you! I do appreciate your posts
Old 12-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #118
notanlines

Dan, we're 'holed up' in sunny south Florida in the Lake Okeechobee area until late spring. A number of years ago I left the bourbon/scotch behind/whiskey behind and settled in with mainly beer and wine with occasional vodka and grapefruit juice (Texsun juice or fresh squeezed). Grey Goose or Smirnoff Silver 100 is our usual. I'm not much of a beer snob. There are always three kinds of beer in the fridge; Bud, Yuengling, Fat Tire, Heineken, or maybe some Corona if friends are coming. I haven't tried all the bourbons mentioned, but I'm still a fan of the ones mentioned although I never developed a taste much for Jack Daniels.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #119
gearhead

I was forced to develop a taste for bourbon. I was exhausted by the results of beer.
One beer equaled 4 trips to the bathroom. Then it seemed there was 1 or 2 more after I had gone to sleep.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 02-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #120
CWtheMan

RV trailer tire inflation pressures

All of a sudden RV trailer tire inflation pressures are popping-up again in a number of forums I follow. The misconceptions are always very common. I’m just going to post “how it’s supposed to be done”

First is the perception that RV trailer tires can be inflated to the load carried. I know where that misconception comes from and I’m not going to confuse this post with another agencies standards. Those that are convinced that method is common with FMVSS fitted tires need to know the vehicle must go to the scales and get individual wheel/tire position weights. The standard by that agency requires all tires on the same axle to be inflated to support the heavies loaded tire position. Don’t forget, on your next trip to get new weights.

Our RV trailers and automotive tires are all inflated to the same standard in the FMVSS. That standard is supported by the USTMA and all of their participating members. Plainly put; the correct inflation pressures for your OE tires are the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended cold inflation pressure. Anything from what has been recommended to tire sidewall max is optional. Inflation pressures for plus sized tires start at the vehicle certification label. A new recommended inflation pressure must be established using a load inflation chart that provides an inflation pressure that will provide the load capacity the OE tires provided.

Load inflation charts are not recommendations. They are standardized and primarily used by tire installers to insure a correct vehicle manufacturer’s recommended cold inflation pressure supports the loads on the certified GAWRs they are fitted to.

The inflation pressure shown on a tire’s sidewall is there to inform users of the PSI value needed to gain full load capacity – also shown on the tire sidewall – from that tire.

Tags
tires