Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

Going into the Deep FREEZE next week.

Going out to Camp Wood at the western edge of the Hill Country next week camping. Supposed to be in the low 30s one night and down into the upper 20s the next. We will be in a park with heaters running in the cabin and I will dump the waste tanks before it gets freezing. Will keep the cabinet doors open where there are pee traps. Don't have any fancy cold weather package. Water hose is a concern in the 20s. Disconnect? Or can I let water run a little and open a faucet? Thoughts? Perhaps take a small compressor and blow out the water lines?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

It should take several hours at temps below freezing to actually freeze up stuff so a night with a low in the low 30s shouldn't really be a big problem. I carry a heated water hose. Before that I would wrap a heat tape on a water hose when I had to travel for work in the winter and before that I would just disconnect the hose at both ends and pick it up to drain water from it.

If the water lines are exposed under the trailer you might just use the compressor to blow out excess water then turn it off and open the faucets a bit so that if it does freeze there is room for expansion. Using the furnace inside should keep anything there from freezing at those temps.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
Javi

We often camp in the winter around here and outside of a heated water hose don't do much else.
Before the heated water hose, I would fill the fresh water tank and disconnect the water hose before dark. Unless the temperature is going to be below freezing and stay there. I wouldn't do much more. Normally in the hill country the temperature will warm up enough during the day to keep stuff from freezing solid, especially if the sun is out.

Now with the new trailer I have to cut the water off to the icemaker and drain that line because it is exposed under the slide and can easily freeze.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
notanlines

I can’t add anything other than don’t let the water trickle overnight. If the drain were to freeze then you will be on here next week telling is how Mama and the cats fared while you were cleaning the mess!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I can’t add anything other than don’t let the water trickle overnight. If the drain were to freeze then you will be on here next week telling is how Mama and the cats fared while you were cleaning the mess!
Or asking those people who have replaced their floor just how hard it was to do the job.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #6
BrooksFam

We're living in our TT now (building house) and have had 4-5 nights in the upper 20's. I just disconnect the hose. Keep an electric heater going all night (set at 62) and open sink cabinets. Have had no issues. It does get up into the 40's - 50's during the day, so the freezing temps are only for a few hours in the night. If it were to stay below freezing in the day also, then I would be more concerned about freezing the TT up.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

As I said, don't have a completely covered underbelly and there are exposed water lines and since I don't have the arctic or 4 seasons package, not sure how much good burning propane for the cabin heater would do as far as heating the underside. I do have a couple ceramic heaters for the cabin that do a great job. I will probably let the water heater keep warm; actuate the bypass valve and just blow out the lines. I may take the hose in after draining and set it in the passthough. I have a drop cord to keep things semi warm in the passthrough and will turn on the incandescent light in our small pump shed before we go. I have heat tape on the water tank stand pipeand will plug it in. So much for global warming.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

George I don't think you have a lot to worry about at those temps. In the old days I never had an enclosed underbelly and stayed in temps far colder than that in the winter. Experienced frozen water hose, frozen LP etc. but don't recall a frozen water line in the trailer (that is memory from decades ago and don't recall what I may have done to mitigate problems other than draining lines).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote