Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #1
fjr vfr

China Bombs

Take a look at these bombs I saw while at the garage getting my bike inspected. Don't know the story, but doesn't look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4760[1].jpg
Views:	276
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	29769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4759[1].jpg
Views:	165
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	29770  
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
CWtheMan

Without specific causes of such failures, negative comments cannot be validated.

A high percentage of such failures are caused by user abuses.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I think there is quite a bit of untold story here; what brand, how old, why are all of the tires different, etc, etc. what did the shop say about the tires, or did you just take a picture and post it without knowing any history of the situation? Are they even Chinese tires? Did they come off a trailer sitting parked in a field for the last 15 years? This is the kind of thing that raises a false alarm and creates unnecessary panic. It’s like watching the news, they all have their slant instead of just being factual and accurate.

What is factual is that the #1 cause of any tire failure is under-inflation and/or over-loading. #2 is mechanical issues like poor alignment, bad bearings, tire out of balance, etc. #3 is road hazards. #4 is age and environmental deterioration/dry rot. Manufacturing defects? Very rare.

I had a Ford Explorer subject to recall for Firestone tires made in the USA. Not once, not twice, but 3 times. Back in the 70’s, American made Firestone 500 tires were recalled. As were American Goodyear, Kelly and Dunlop. Guess who manufactures tires in China? Michelin, Yokohama, Continental and Pirelli to name a few. Have they been recalled? Seems like Chinese tires might be more reliable than you think....
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I think there is quite a bit of untold story here; what brand, how old, why are all of the tires different, etc, etc. what did the shop say about the tires, or did you just take a picture and post it without knowing any history of the situation? Are they even Chinese tires? Did they come off a trailer sitting parked in a field for the last 15 years? This is the kind of thing that raises a false alarm and creates unnecessary panic. It’s like watching the news, they all have their slant instead of just being factual and accurate.

I couldn't tell on most but one is a Falken which is made in Japan I believe.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Without specific causes of such failures, negative comments cannot be validated.

A high percentage of such failures are caused by user abuses.

I suspect that the tires shown are not the same brand/model and I also suspect it is just darn fun to say CHINA BOMB!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
fjr vfr

The pictures were of the top 2 tires and they were 205/75-14 Carlisle brand tires.
I stated that I didn't know the story and implied nothing other than "doesn't look good." No need to read any more into it. I guess it was a mistake to post the pictures. I just thought some people would be interested in seeing them...I was wrong.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Northofu1

You weren't wrong, its just a tire post.
I had a set of Falken tires , price was right, great on dry roads, not so much on wet roads.
The set in those pics look bald not bombed

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
The pictures were of the top 2 tires and they were 205/75-14 Carlisle brand tires.
I stated that I didn't know the story and implied nothing other than "doesn't look good." No need to read any more into it. I guess it was a mistake to post the pictures. I just thought some people would be interested in seeing them...I was wrong.
Dont get discouraged only reading half of a post and picking the crap out of it is common around here . Good pic's. Looks like 1 to 4 people had a bad day.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote