Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #21
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Not that we are behind the times but it is still illegal in some provinces to bring alcohol and tobacco across provincial lines. I think it's about taxes. BC does not think we pay enough. OK not political just saying.
But so far at least there are no provincial border crossing inspection stations so no enforcement. A quick google search shows that federally at least its wide open, but some provinces are still bucking the trend. BC is open border if you can imagine importing wine into BC. I don't think it's just taxes, it might also be about protecting the local wine, beer and liquor industries.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #22
Ken / Claudia

If you are afraid of snow/ice, a good bypass is SR101 along the Oregon coast is really nice, just takes 2 times as long. But I-5 is the way to go. As I said bad (meaning stuff) on road are normally short lived. Sometimes the road maybe closed at points overnight mainly and if chains are needed you would be putting 1 set on truck and 1 set on trailer. If you use one of the road advisory checks, if you think it's too bad, overnight before you get there. Go though in daylight.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #23
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
If you are afraid of snow/ice, a good bypass is SR101 along the Oregon coast is really nice, just takes 2 times as long. But I-5 is the way to go. As I said bad (meaning stuff) on road are normally short lived. Sometimes the road maybe closed at points overnight mainly and if chains are needed you would be putting 1 set on truck and 1 set on trailer. If you use one of the road advisory checks, if you think it's too bad, overnight before you get there. Go though in daylight.
I solved the problem the easy way, I changed the schedule a bit after discovering two facts. It turns out my out of province time is based on the calendar year so since we are crossing the year end that time is spread over two years. The US 6 month rule however is based on a rolling 12 months and is thus our limiting factor. I made a small change in the east coast portion of the trip so now I have a schedule for the SW of Oct 15 to Mar 15. That is leaving two weeks later and coming back 2 weeks earlier than normal. Still a slight chance of the white stuff but much better than Nov 1 to Feb 28. I still think I will take 101 though for the scenery.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #24
Ken / Claudia

That sounds like a better plan, there are many fun/nice things to see and do on the Oregon coast. Depends on your time table a night or two in a park and seeing the sights might be a idea. Many private and state parks along the coast. Have a great trip.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #25
Bnrc73

Having to watch road closures because of flooding coming home this spring from Texas to Minnesota. I discovered the DOT 511 app for my phone. These are usually updated daily, and more often when needed. This will give you an up to date road report before you head out for your day. Travel well my friend.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #26
sonofcy

I just went looking for THE 511 app for my iPhone. Turns out there isn't one, there are a bunch but not for every State or Province. Shouldn't 511 be for the entire country whether it's USA or Canada? A great app would automatically sense your location and spoon feed you all the 511 info for the surrounding 300 miles / 480 Kms or whatever range you configure. Also why are some free as they should be and some are for a fee? BTW, DOT 511 is NOT found on my iPhone, maybe it's an android only app?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #27
JGriff

I just looked on Google Play for Android and there isn't an App for it either.
JGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #28
Bnrc73

On my iPhone it’s iowa511, Minnesota 511, and Nebraska 511. But your right, not all states have one.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote