Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #21
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackDaddy View Post
Are there any backing restriction with the Equilizer hitch or the Reese straightline? I have heard some brands of hitches, that you have to disconnect the sway before backing. This might prove as a deal breaker. Also, when do you hear the noise from the hitch? Is it when the Sway is doing its job? Maintance wise, what do you have to do to maintain the Eq hitch?
I personally have never had to disconnect my bars to get into any spot and I've gotten my trailer into a few pretty tight wooded spots. When I hear the noise the most is in slow turns (turning a corner at a light or stop sign or backing/pulling into a campsite. The noise is caused from the friction sway control on the L-brackets. As for the maintance, like the other person posted I just lub the end of the bar that goes into the hitch head and then of course the hitch ball.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #22
slider

I'm a newbie to WDH. I ordered the Reese dual cam based on internet research. Turns out it was backordered and wasn't going to make it before our trip so I switched my order to the friction sway control 1200/12000:

We drove 800 miles pulling a 5,500 lb camper with a Dodge Dakota and I never exeprienced any sway. Like I said, I am not an expert but if I were recommending, I would still suggest the dual cam - I like the idea of sway prevention (daul cam is designed to offer) instead of sway recovery (that friction is designed for).

Orginally I was thinking I might see what it would take to convert from friction to dual cam but after our trip I am pleased and keeping what I have.
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
campingcpl

That is a good hitch that is really similar to the Equlizer hitch. I have heard a few people talk about having trouble with the weight distribution with the Reese fricton hitch and from what I seen it is more money then the Equlizer hitch. But if it does what you want and it works for you that's all that counts.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
DJuanHouston

I have the B&W turn over ball gooseneck with the 18k 5th wheel companion for the raptor

love it so far but it does get a bit of forward backward clunking on the highway that i guess only the 5th wheel shock type king pin would help with

too bad I spent so much on the truck and trailor cause now theres extras I want to buy
DJuanHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #25
MichiganMarty

It is a little late for a response to this thread, but my money is on the Hensley Arrow, hands down.

Our last trailer was also a "white knuckles" ride and we felt unsafe above 55 mph. It swayed terrible everytime a vehicle passed us. Seeing a 18 wheeler in the mirror sent shivers down our spines.

The Arrow solved this, not partially, not mostly, but ENTIRELY. The geometry of their design makes it impossible for the trailer to sway.

And talk about Heavy Duty! It is built like a tank and if you do happen to abuse it, you can rebuild it without having to replace it. I never had to do a thing to mine except perform routine preventative maintenance per the instructions.

By the way, they have a warranty that is second to none.

Is it expensive? Yes, but what value do you put on your life or the lives of your loved ones - or others on the road?

I had one for 5+ years and Hensley bought it back when I bought the "Trailer Saver" 5er hitch for the our Raptor 5er (just this week). I'm a happy camper!

Just bite the bullet and you won't be sorry.
2006 Raptor 3712TS on top of a Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver
MichiganMarty is offline   Reply With Quote