Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
hoffbrew

I am done!!

Well.. Went camping up at Bass Lake for 5 days but before we got there.... Boom! Damn turbo hose....again! I am getting real tired of this and so is the DW. What is the cause of this? It blows off at intercooler inlet. Truck has been to two different mechanics in the last month and say it won't come off now! 2 sets of BD hoses, upgraded clamps, the whole 10 yards. Why? It made it home but only because i found Garilla Glue, it is on now but not liking it. My DW said to get rid of it now and get something else. Trust me I am all over this but I want to know why this happens? Truck is stock except 4" exhaust, turbo back. Courtland, you had similar set up one time, have you experienced any of this? What truck mfg should I be looking at? Not really wanting a dualy.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Ron

Is it possible the intercoller is partially plugged not letting full air flow thouught the intercoller then into the engine and creating some back pressure that is blowing off the hose, did you have a turbo go out possibly pushing oil into the intercoller? just a thought............Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Courtland
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffbrew View Post
Courtland, you had similar set up one time, have you experienced any of this? What truck mfg should I be looking at? Not really wanting a dualy.
I definitively had a similar issue with my Stock (except exhast) 03 Ford F350 6.0 a couple of times. I was towing the trailer on level ground and not really pushing the truck hard at all and boom the inter cooler hose blew off. Luckily I carry tools and was able to get the clamps back on and proceed onward toward the trip. Same damn thing happened another 30 miles done the road, but lucky for me I had met up with a buddy of mine and a little bailing wire (you gotta be country to know what that is) and tightening down the clamps again fixed it. Ford dealer shook their heads when I rolled in with it all wired up and showed them all the bailing wire. What a pain in the *** it was but the dealer told me all good, next trip out it happened again.

Well I called my buddy who owns a paving company and does all the maintenance on his fleet of Ford diesels and he explained it to me this way, the pressure builds up in the inter cooler due to the turbo and while there is not oil in the hose a lot of oil gets into the hose through various means, that oil blowing around in that the inter cooler hose eventually seeps into the the seals over time and no matter how much you tighten them down the oil on the seals and pressure in that inter cooler will eventually make it blow. He actually told me how to fix it and don't laugh cause it worked for me. Take off the inter cooler hose and clean the ends good, he told me to use gas, so I did. Take that gas soaked rag and clean off the connectors on the that the inter cooler connects to and then make sure you clean the seals as well. Let it all dry. Ask your wife for some Aquanet. Yes Aquanet. Spray the hairspray on the insides of the seals , the inter cooler ends and the connectors. Let it dry. Then reconnect everything back up and ensure you do not over tighten the clamps. Tighten to specified torque settings and your good.

I though he was full of it but I trust him so I did as he said. Never had another problem with my inter cooler hose blowing off. Something about the hairspray acts as a bonding agent and keeps the oil from getting into the seals and making it slippery to where the inter cooler hose can blow off. I don't own that truck anymore, but my buddy bought it and took it up to Oregon. 50,000 miles later he still has not had a problem with the inter cooler. Go figure.

I think the Ford 6.0 engines were very susceptible to this, I have not heard of this happening on any of the newer Fords and my buddy that owns the paving company tells me he has not had a single newer truck do it.

As far as what to look at, I'm a Ford guy so you know which way I tend to go. I have had good trucks with only minor issues, you hear some other stories of people with nightmare trucks. Usually those are the guys with the tuners and they push the engines hard. I leave my trucks stock and do alright.

On another note, how was Bass Lake? I was up there in August and it was nice, a little warm but the family and I had a good time. I am glad winter is here, I am ready to go riding starting off the season with a GP race up in Gorman this weekend.
My buddies 08 Keystone Fuzion 362 when its just the guys.
https://www.keystonerv.org
https://www.desertriders.org/forums
Courtland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
rhagfo

Yep Aquanet will help keep the hoses in place, but there shoul not be any o in the post turbo area! If there is have the turbo resealed, an oil leak in the turbo can lead to a run away diesel engine.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Brantlaker

cooler hoses

Use Break Part Cleaner to clean the hoses & the pipes it leaves no residue. Aquanet works but my shop used Spray Gasket just a lite dust and tighten the clamps to specs.There really should not be any oil in the tubes if there is than the carbon face seals in the turbo are leaking the oil pressure should be checked it is needed to push the seals in the hot section of the turbo it is also used to cool the bearings.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Clean the tubes and rubber boots well and use simple diswash liquid soap all around the tubes to help slide on tubes...tight clamps and take out for an easy ride getting things warm under the hood so the soap dries...they will now stay put. Had the same problem with my '05 (along with head gaskets) the soap trick solved the problem and a little mist of water in case removal is needed and they slide right off.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Bushman512000

6.0 Power Joker

Had the same trouble had a dent in the hood from the dam clamp banging it fixed it for good after I got home Traded it for a new Dodge CTD...yep kicked it down the road not a 6.0 again in this drive way...lol Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
hoffbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512000 View Post
Had the same trouble had a dent in the hood from the dam clamp banging it fixed it for good after I got home Traded it for a new Dodge CTD...yep kicked it down the road not a 6.0 again in this drive way...lol Bushman
Well, took it to shop again had new hoses from DieselSite and looked good. Left for Pismo Beach on the 27th and got home late on the 27th beacuse the new hoses wouldnt stay on either!!! Stuck on the other side of Kettleman for 4hrs till my father could get there to take my trailer home.
Cleaned everything AGAIN put back together and taking to Carmax to see what I can get for the 350. I went yesterday and drove 2013 Chevy 3500HD DRW and liked it, not loved it. I am headed to another dealer today to check out a used 08 Chevy 3500 SRW with 19K miles. I will go by Dodge just to see as well. Cant find tow rating on the 08 3500HD SRW LB 6.6 TD. Not sure which way to roll on this. Courtland... my wife will not let me get a Ford...lol
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
I will go by Dodge just to see as well. Not sure which way to roll on this. Courtland... my wife will not let me get a Ford...lol

If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Worth giving the Ram a look .... may be a surprise.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Well, took it to shop again had new hoses from DieselSite and looked good. Left for Pismo Beach on the 27th and got home late on the 27th beacuse the new hoses wouldnt stay on either!!! Stuck on the other side of Kettleman for 4hrs till my father could get there to take my trailer home.
Cleaned everything AGAIN put back together and taking to Carmax to see what I can get for the 350. I went yesterday and drove 2013 Chevy 3500HD DRW and liked it, not loved it. I am headed to another dealer today to check out a used 08 Chevy 3500 SRW with 19K miles. I will go by Dodge just to see as well. Cant find tow rating on the 08 3500HD SRW LB 6.6 TD. Not sure which way to roll on this. Courtland... my wife will not let me get a Ford...lol
Your not going to give Ford another shot and maybe look a a new 6.7 Powerstroke?? Maybe give them a chance to try and redeem themselves after all the headaches your 6.0 has given you!!
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
game warden

One of the reasons the hoses blow off is overboost from the turbo.
The turbocharger is an exhaust-driven centrifugal air compressor. Its purpose is to increase power output by supplying compressed air to the engine. The internal components are oil and air cooled. Engine oil is circulated through the housing, which acts as a heat barrier between the "hot" turbine and the "cold" compressor. Bearings are sleeve type and are lubricated by engine oil. Oil is pumped directly from the oil filter base, then circulated to the turbocharger housing and returned to the sump through an oil drain in the turbocharger center housing.

The electronic turbocharger variable vane hydraulic control valve utilizes the powertrain control module (PCM) to control intake manifold pressure. The turbocharger uses a set of moveable vanes in the turbine housing to change the flow of the exhaust gases throughout the turbocharger. These vanes can be positioned to change the angle or direction and the velocity of flow to the turbine wheel, depending upon the conditions in which the engine is operated. As power demands increase, exhaust gas velocity increases in direct relation, as does intake manifold boost pressure. Conversely, as the flow of exhaust gas diminishes, intake manifold boost pressure is also reduced at the same rate.

Vanes mounted around the internal circumference of the turbine housing are connected to a unison ring. The unison ring links all the vanes together and when the unison ring moves, all the vanes move. The unison ring is moved by exposing either side of an actuator piston to pressurized engine oil. Oil flow to the appropriate side of the piston is regulated by the turbocharger variable control valve whose winding is part of a pulse width modulated (PWM) circuit regulated by the powertrain control module (PCM). An increase in duty cycle of the PWM circuit will route oil through the turbocharger variable control valve in a way that will cause piston movement that increases manifold pressure (BOOST). Decreasing the pulse width will direct oil such that the manifold pressure (BOOST) will be decreased. Turbocharger control is a closed-loop system using the exhaust pressure (EP) sensor to provide feedback to the PCM. In response to engine speed, engine load, manifold pressure and barometric pressure, the PCM provides a duty cycle to the turbocharger variable control valve to cause it to match manifold pressure (BOOST) to the requirements of the engine.

Expanding exhaust gases drive the turbine shaft assembly to speeds over 100,000 rpm. Filtered air entering the compressing side of the turbocharger is compressed and delivered through a charge air cooler (CAC). The very hot compressed air is cooled, then continues on to fill the intake manifold at a pressure higher than atmospheric pressure. Because considerably more air is forced into the intake manifold, the results are increased power, fuel efficiency and the ability to maintain power at higher altitudes.

after all this info most likely the unison ring inside the turbo and the vanes are sticking causing your over boost issue and the cac hoses blowing off.

if you drove a 6.7 you would love it and i would compare it to the old 7.3 for reliability and the horsepower it makes is great..will leave a cummins on the hills it just can`t run with it (stock to stock) and the mpgs are a slight bit better.
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
Jim W

Quote:
I wish I could get a new 2013 Ram in the 3500HD SW and the new Aisin 6 SPD auto with the updated 6.7L Cummins. But since I am retired and do not want any more payments I guess I will keep my 08 Mega Cab 6.7L Cummins for a while. I like the simplicity of the 6 cylinder engine and the ability to work on one VS the I can’t see the 6.7L ford V8 engine and I need to remove the cab to work on it.

Now if you are open minded on a truck please read the attached press release on the 6.7L Ram for 2013MY, see attached link from turbo Diesel Registry. Com
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/a...CKS/Page1.html

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
game warden

Please don`t mistake my comment.I have towed my 303tg with 4 or 5 different Dodge trucks this camping season with a 2500 to a 3500 srw and dually. With a slt pkg to a long horn mega cab all ran very well and you have to give it to cummins when Ford went in the tank with the 6.0 and got a little better with the 6.4 the cummins was always dependable and not a whole lot of issues. I will give them that.,My statement was just that the new 6.7 performance and mpgs put`s Ford back on track with there 7.3 workhorse thats all. I do like the Cummins and would buy one or the new Ford 6.7 it really is what you are looking for and your preference of trucks. This debate could go on and on and will untill eternity thats what makes America great !
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #14
jsmith948

We all have our preferences........That's why there is vanilla and chocolate!
However, turning a blind eye to 1/3 of the diesel truck market due to a preconception will only serve to limit your options. Comparing the Navistar built 6.0L engine to the Ford engineered and developed 6.7L engine is like the proverbial comparison of "apples to oranges". I'm not trying to sell anyone on a Ford - but - in order to make and informed decision - shouldn't on drive all three brands?
Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
Javi

I drove Dodge for years but after driving the Ford 6.7 there was no comparison the Ford won like the Redskins did last night going away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
hoffbrew

ok....there is now a 2012 Duramax 3500HD CC LB 4x4 SRW sitting in garage now!! She drives nice. The F350 is not liking this. I will put the Ford on Auto trader next week, hate to see her go but.....
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
ok....there is now a 2012 Duramax 3500HD CC LB 4x4 SRW sitting in garage now!! She drives nice. The F350 is not liking this. I will put the Ford on Auto trader next week, hate to see her go but.....

Enjoy your new TV and travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #18
Outbackmel

Apples to what?

Let's have a tug test. As A Ford Motor Company retiree, I bought a Dodge for the bullet proof 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel. The BIG BAD WOLF called me and asked me to join him in taking Grandma's house down without any huffing and puffing!

I'm just say'n....Happy New Year and may your choices be good ones and excellent health follow you throughout your travels....where ever they may lead you.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

hoffbrew -
Congratulations on your new GMC truck - a great way to bring in the New Year.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #20
fred1609

That 6.7 litre is an awesome engine. I have the infamous 6 litre engine and have blown 1 high pressure oil pump, 2 turbos and 1 intercooler. Thank goodness we have the Ford extended warranty. As soon as the warranty is over, the truck is gone and we will buy a used 2011 6.7 litre, which will by then will have dropped in price. That 6 litre engine is a piece of junk but the new 6.7 is by all accounts a great engine.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote