Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2022, 10:53 AM   #1
Soxfan904

Rear Camera Prep - What kind of camera to use?

Hello,

My Keystone Cougar 30BHS comes with a rear camera prep, but I am unsure what model or size to use.

My previous camper came prewired with the Furrion “fish eye” plastic adapter and pre installed wiring for Furrion. This camper does not identify the wiring nor the type of camera.

I have attached a picture of the “mount” on the back of the camera as a reference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Greg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3807.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	41870
Old 10-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #2
jsb5717

Realistically you can use any camera you want. The mounts are removable and the wiring is typically a simple 2 wire connection. Pick whatever you want.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #3
Soxfan904

Got it, thanks!
Old 10-04-2022, 02:53 PM   #4
ShotgunZ71

I used a Furrion Vision S on my 30BHS. Used it for a trip a couple weeks ago and it worked great. Install was a breeze.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71 View Post
I used a Furrion Vision S on my 30BHS. Used it for a trip a couple weeks ago and it worked great. Install was a breeze.

That was the same camera I had on my Prowler 25LX before I bought this cougar. Did you have to install the plastic fish eye component for the camera decided to? I get a little nervous drilling into the camper. How did the install go?

My previous camper had fish eye mount already there with the wiring. That’s why I was asking.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #6
ShotgunZ71

Yes, I used the housing that came with the Furrion. The wiring is all there under the little prep cap. I used self-tapping screws and just centered the camera housing over the existing hole/wiring. Once that was done, I wired and mounted the camera, then adjusted the angle. I try to angle down just enough to see the edge of the bumper, but a good field of view behind it.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:00 AM   #7
Soxfan904

Quote:
Yes, I used the housing that came with the Furrion. The wiring is all there under the little prep cap. I used self-tapping screws and just centered the camera housing over the existing hole/wiring. Once that was done, I wired and mounted the camera, then adjusted the angle. I try to angle down just enough to see the edge of the bumper, but a good field of view behind it.

Ok, good to know on the screws. Did they come with it? What is the length?

I was really happy with the Furrion one I had before so I would consider another one. However, I do have a Chevy Silverado, and was concerning putting the Intellihaul camera system which includes a wireless camera for trailers.

I assume that the power wiring adapter is all the same for these cameras, whether it’s Furrion or not
Old 10-05-2022, 06:08 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Our first trailer came with the Furrion rear camera mount. We ended up purchasing the rear camera, and side marker cameras. (Furrion S7 color). The new trailer came with the same cover you have in your picture. When trading in the old trailer I purchased a furrion "dummy cover" for the side markers as well as a new rear mount housing for the new trailer.

This allowed me to move the cameras to the new trailer. To my surprise (I've done this 2x as I don't leave my cameras on the trailer in storage and use the dummy covers)....the dummy cover order from furrion came with two complete side marker lights with a dummy cover on them?!?!?!

Which meant I didn't have to buy new side marker lights on the new trailer...

It is trivial to install as long as the wires are really under that cover and all the screws came with these items.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #9
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Our first trailer came with the Furrion rear camera mount. We ended up purchasing the rear camera, and side marker cameras. (Furrion S7 color). The new trailer came with the same cover you have in your picture. When trading in the old trailer I purchased a furrion "dummy cover" for the side markers as well as a new rear mount housing for the new trailer.

This allowed me to move the cameras to the new trailer. To my surprise (I've done this 2x as I don't leave my cameras on the trailer in storage and use the dummy covers)....the dummy cover order from furrion came with two complete side marker lights with a dummy cover on them?!?!?!

Which meant I didn't have to buy new side marker lights on the new trailer...

It is trivial to install as long as the wires are really under that cover and all the screws came with these items.

Great to hear, thank you.

Did you have to wire for the side cameras? Also, it looks like Furrion doesn’t have any mobile apps to view that cameras, which is extremely annoying. I presume this system you have ONLY works while towing? I know the one I uses to have only worked when the 7-way adapter was plugged in and my headlights were on.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:15 AM   #10
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan904 View Post
Great to hear, thank you.

Did you have to wire for the side cameras? Also, it looks like Furrion doesn’t have any mobile apps to view that cameras, which is extremely annoying. I presume this system you have ONLY works while towing? I know the one I uses to have only worked when the 7-way adapter was plugged in and my headlights were on.

Yes, it only works when towing. I do know that there are some youtube videos to convert cameras to be energized when not towing and then have to monitor indoors for an "onsite security monitor", but there are no phone apps that I'm aware of.

The mounting of the side cameras was really trivial as you just replace the side marker lights with the furrion marker lights. I believe I reused one of the existing holes, fill the remaining and covered the filled holes with the body of the new furrion side light.

After only owning a trailer for 2 years but traveling over 16000 miles in it, the #1 most valuable feature of the camera the microphone...backing up the trailer with video and my wife being able to talk in a normal voice is nice.

Last, the second time around it is really nice to 'calibrate' the distance markers shown on the camera. We just put some markers every 5 feet, adjusted the camera angle on the back and noted down the distances of the "colored rectangles" on the monitor.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
ShotgunZ71

Quote:
Ok, good to know on the screws. Did they come with it? What is the length?

I was really happy with the Furrion one I had before so I would consider another one. However, I do have a Chevy Silverado, and was concerning putting the Intellihaul camera system which includes a wireless camera for trailers.

I assume that the power wiring adapter is all the same for these cameras, whether it’s Furrion or not
No, they weren't supplied. I just used some of similar diameter and length that I had on hand. The only thing I had to do was get the Furrion adapter to get consistent signal and power to the camera. These newer trucks are so much LED and the BCM reduces the alternator output to only what's necessary.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #12
Soxfan904

Quote:
No, they weren't supplied. I just used some of similar diameter and length that I had on hand. The only thing I had to do was get the Furrion adapter to get consistent signal and power to the camera. These newer trucks are so much LED and the BCM reduces the alternator output to only what's necessary.

Yeah I read about that, I assume my 2020 Chevy Silverado will have this problem? Could you send me the link for what I need?
Old 10-05-2022, 04:36 PM   #13
ShotgunZ71

Quote:
Yeah I read about that, I assume my 2020 Chevy Silverado will have this problem? Could you send me the link for what I need?

This is the newer version to what I have.

https://furrion.com/products/camera-system-7-way-adapter-cable-with-power-switch
Old 10-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #14
ShotgunZ71

Hey Soxfan, I should mention that we went up to Boston this past summer and took in to a Red Sox game at Fenway. Had a great time. Such a beautiful city.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:08 PM   #15
Soxfan904

Quote:
Hey Soxfan, I should mention that we went up to Boston this past summer and took in to a Red Sox game at Fenway. Had a great time. Such a beautiful city.

Thats awesome!! They are my favorite team, we didn’t make it this year to see them, but will definitely be at a game next year. I’m only about two hours away from Boston.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:09 PM   #16
Soxfan904

Quote:
This is the newer version to what I have.

https://furrion.com/products/camera-...h-power-switch

Thank you!!
Old 10-09-2022, 02:26 PM   #17
Life-in-Him

backup cameras to gm infotainment system

Replaced our 350k mile 2004 TV with a 13kmi 2020 GMC.
Has anyone discovered a way to connect a furrion 4s wireless camera system to the GM InfoTainment display?
With 7 camera's on the TV we can see "almost" enough.
We also got wiser using the hand's free cellphone connection & saved 63 years of history by not screaming.
The furrion had been good for 1 way communication but not like the 2 way hands free phone is. But AYK cellphone only works with coverage.
Any way, Bluetooth from my cell phone does some things with the InfoTainment system but hasen't solved the camera issues short of more GM$$$
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:53 PM   #18
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life-in-Him View Post
Replaced our 350k mile 2004 TV with a 13kmi 2020 GMC.
Has anyone discovered a way to connect a furrion 4s wireless camera system to the GM InfoTainment display?
With 7 camera's on the TV we can see "almost" enough.
We also got wiser using the hand's free cellphone connection & saved 63 years of history by not screaming.
The furrion had been good for 1 way communication but not like the 2 way hands free phone is. But AYK cellphone only works with coverage.
Any way, Bluetooth from my cell phone does some things with the InfoTainment system but hasen't solved the camera issues short of more GM$$$

Hi there, I have been exploring this same option for quite a long time and I do not believe any Furrion product works with the inframent system. I have a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Trail Boss, without the advanced trailering package, and I have not tried anything with the exception of the inihaul system that will connect directly to the infotainment system.

Also, I am curious what product do you use that can display to iPhone? I have researched every type of Furrion camera as I as I’m in the market to purchase a new one for our new camper we bought, and nothing I have found says Furrion camera will work with a cell phone at all. You must have the monitor.

I am not sure if this will work on a GMC but check out this link.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/pr...do%203500%20HD
Old 10-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #19
Jake's Keystone

GM Accessories

Quote:
Hi there, I have been exploring this same option for quite a long time and I do not believe any Furrion product works with the inframent system. I have a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Trail Boss, without the advanced trailering package, and I have not tried anything with the exception of the inihaul system that will connect directly to the infotainment system.

Also, I am curious what product do you use that can display to iPhone? I have researched every type of Furrion camera as I as I’m in the market to purchase a new one for our new camper we bought, and nothing I have found says Furrion camera will work with a cell phone at all. You must have the monitor.

I am not sure if this will work on a GMC but check out this link.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/pr...do%203500%20HD
I was wondering what TV you had and how it was optioned for trailering, I purchased the outside rear camera and plugged it into the bumper and glad I got it. I have all the other cameras already so this was a great addition and use it as a rear view mirror all the time...I was trying to cut down on displays in front of me and may consider the TPMS that works with the truck.
Good luck.

2022 GMC Sierra HD AT4
2022 Cougar 3169RLS
New and Traded
Jake's Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote