Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2022, 05:16 PM   #21
meaz93*

@outback quality ....I dont think I've heard of a more unbelievable scenario?!
I mean where the heck was it slammed together ( built ).....than the Dealership decides to sell it with all the Helen Keller workmanship> Wow.
It's easy to say why didnt you catch this and that during the walk through, but it sounds like smoke and mirror construction.
I'd be getting rid of it too!
Our 2018 328RL is pretty awesome ...couldn't be more happy with it.
Stuff come loose after pulling all over the states, but things shouldn't be hanging by a thread?
Man....what a story!
Hope you get it all settled.
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:31 PM   #22
outback quality
Gone Traveling

outback problem

there was really not much to notice at the dealer at the walk trough ......and the same for the dealer,but yes i shouldve spent more time and not trust that it would be good or suspect it would be so bad........i just dragged it to a service shop today to do report for Keystone and when i got to the service shop today .....the fancy pendent lights above the island kitchen with edison style bulbs......one had fallen apart and glass fell in sink and smashed.......several parts of the light fixture came apart.......and we noticed the remaining one coming apart also............as for the dealer.....why is it PDI or anything to do with them the quality of construction or responsible for the thing being corrected.......these things should never leave the factory in poor condition.....none of these things were built after they left the factory lol
outback quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:46 PM   #23
outback quality
Gone Traveling

outback problems

i have been i contact with keystone twice and have a case number etc ,the service shop i took it to is not a keystone dealer as i am very far away from a dealer,the shop is high rated and works on all brands and they do insurance camper claims and mice remediation.......they were all looking it over and laughed at the quality......and felt bad for me buying it .......i called keystone rep and he asked for a full estimate with pictures etc......and said he would consider repairs done there based on quote....and some things are urgent and to prevent further damage travelling long way to nearest dealer
Old 06-30-2022, 06:54 PM   #24
outback quality
Gone Traveling

outback quality

Meaz93......you say things fall apart pulling trailer around in time .......this is brand new built feb 2022.....just the first trip home ....i have never used it yet....havnt put water or propane in or turned on heat or anything yet......never been slept in yet or used toilet
Old 06-30-2022, 07:18 PM   #25
outback quality
Gone Traveling

outback quality

the service shop owner told me today .....he said he would be fuming angry if it was his.......he said i can actually have a lot of power to push this situation ....maybe more so being in Canada than USA.
He said because i am a class 3 driver as required with a trailer over 10k lbs [in my province]......and required to do a pre trip inspection .....i can call the trailer unsafe for the road...as far as the underbelly blown out dragging.
in our province and i think most of Canada it is required but not enforced to have a office of the fire commissioner inspection done to make sure the trailer is fit to be inhabited,because of very little or no building codes,they make sure electrical and propane and co2 sensor etc are all safe and proper construction.
Another thing i can do ......being a trailer that is over 10K......a safety inspection can be done ,it is not required on camper trailers,unless asked for by the owner........i can make a claim to Transport Canada to check into the underbelly blowing out and they could decide to have a recall on all of them ,the underbelly pulled two wires off the trailer brakes....a for sure safety issue.

All of these things would give me power in court to sue Keystone if i am not happy with how they respond,i am thinking i want them to buy it back.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:39 AM   #26
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback quality View Post
a dab at each end wont help ......its hanging off....but yes i can silicone it back.....but we shouldnt have to be doing that and up on ladder at my age ...also 4 includes wall paper falling off interior.....is that normal too ?

A clothes steamer will soften the sagging wall paper thus allowing it to be smoothed with a credit card edge or putty knife. The drawer runners are something I've had to re-engineer on several of past campers. If you didn't own the previous toy hauler from the time it was new, some defects from it's manufacture may have been fixed by others before you purchased it. The ceiling puck lights are easy to remove and check the connections. You do seem to have a mess on your hands, the question is now, how to best proceed. For my self, I'd be tempted to try fixing most myself, rather than have camper at dealership for months. Sometimes the repairs they will do won't be done right. Best of luck to you!
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:28 AM   #27
notanlines

"All of these things would give me power in court to sue Keystone if I am not happy with how they respond, I am thinking I want them to buy it back."

Outback, be sure to look into an attorney who might actually take your case and what the per hour charge might be. Bear in mind that Keystone has entire 'fleet of legal ships waiting to sail' at the first sign of attack.
If you were to threaten a lawsuit in an email, your progress will stop, your conversations with them will stop, and any communication will be through your attorney.
You're in a hell of a fix, I'll have to agree.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:43 AM   #28
wiredgeorge

If the OP isn't using a Keystone dealer to advance the many issues to Keystone, and is using an independent shop up there in Canada, would Keystone work through an independent in Canada? If I recall, they won't work warranty issues via an independent here in the States. Just curious.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If the OP isn't using a Keystone dealer to advance the many issues to Keystone, and is using an independent shop up there in Canada, would Keystone work through an independent in Canada? If I recall, they won't work warranty issues via an independent here in the States. Just curious.
I’m wondering the same, but I think I read that Keystone agreed to work with the shop he took it to.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #30
meaz93*

@outback quality .....you should not have to put up with that extremely poor quality Keystone Outback, I too would be livid. I mean you haven't even had the luxury to camp in it?!
I know me ....and I would use ALL AVENUES to get this issue resolved.
I hope Canada does you right.
These things happen on the other side of the border.
I once had a 2010 Keystone Springdale , and got it home plugged it into 30amp shire power and the inverter let go....first day?
Called the Dealership and ....at first they refused to warrant it, but I'm a small business owner and have dealt with all sorts of " miscommunication"[emoji848]
I drafted a letter to the Dealership and within a week had it back in for warranted repairs. Donr know why they acted that way, but a reputable Dealership makes all the difference.
Fingers crossed that they do right by you!
Old 07-01-2022, 11:29 AM   #31
outback quality
Gone Traveling

outback quality

good day

as for comments i read today:

on first call to Keystone i said i have no choice but to take it to nearest and most available shop,and with what i feel is also safety issue,and prevent more damage travellling long distance to dealer.the rep did not dispute that.

i took the camper to the non dealer shop,and i called Keystone,the rep asked to talk to the shop owner,and shop owner told me that the rep asked for a quote and complete report with pics,so i gather the keystone rep is willing to have shop do work,maybe it will only be some not all of the work ?

as for wall paper comment,it is the wrapped 3D fancy ceiling feature that is peeled [right now] same as all the slide trime etc material fingers crossed,its not a matter of a steamer and restick,the ceiling feature is all wrapped parts i think assembled and with lights and wiring then put up and fastened,not a easy job or one i can do.

as for lawyer and going to court comment,Canada is very different system than USA,consumers have very fair fighting chance and the army of lawyers dont have upper hand to win ,i can do very well in court with no lawyer.

we also have "CTV MARKETPLACE" much watched here nationwide,and the show does investigative reporting on consumer issues from private complaints,i think companies fear ever having them featured on the show .

But still....i an out bookings of campgrounds 6 months paid in advance and family plans etc ,mega thousands in costs ahead and probaly lost summer of use.

i have travelled lost with my other campers and yes had small issues but never a camper new that was unusable from new.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:40 AM   #32
outback quality
Gone Traveling

outback quality

one thing i have to point out ,as most people are probably from USA,i [and not out of the ordinary for a canadian]travel and camp in mostly northern canada,a camper dealer or any kind of shop with anything camper related parts can be 500-1000 mile drive away,most of the beautiful camp grounds and places are hundreds and hundreds of mile form any city with any kind of camper parts or even services.Just look up places like Whitehorse or Dawson City on map.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #33
outback quality
Gone Traveling

outback quality

I am back home now and the outback is hours away at shop........so.....today i just bought a 2006 Cherokee fifth wheel in excellent condition for $5000.... 30 minutes away from where i am, stored inside and was hardly used much,i just towed it home and checking it over,everyhting is working and and its plugged in........one slide trim inside is coming off and the kitchen counter light dosnt work,has a little split in corner of kitchen flooring.....but its 16 years old.......I am gong to use this one until i get the new one resolved.....as i refuse to lose all my camping bookings and family travel plans etc.

too bad i went from a nice 395 fuzion to brand new outback thats falling apart unused.......and now to this older model .....but i can at least enjoy the summer and just sell this older one and get money back after.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I am back home now and the outback is hours away at shop........so.....today i just bought a 2006 Cherokee fifth wheel in excellent condition for $5000.... 30 minutes away from where i am, stored inside and was hardly used much,i just towed it home and checking it over,everyhting is working and and its plugged in........one slide trim inside is coming off and the kitchen counter light dosnt work,has a little split in corner of kitchen flooring.....but its 16 years old.......I am gong to use this one until i get the new one resolved.....as i refuse to lose all my camping bookings and family travel plans etc.

too bad i went from a nice 395 fuzion to brand new outback thats falling apart unused.......and now to this older model .....but i can at least enjoy the summer and just sell this older one and get money back after.
Sounds like your on your way to a great camping season one way or another. I hope your Outback situation is resolved quickly and your satisfied.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #35
outback quality
Gone Traveling

Angry outback quality

thanks......and yeah.....$105 thousand Canadian dollars out and im camping in a 16 year old cherokee camper now lol
Old 07-03-2022, 08:36 AM   #36
Cascadia

Outback 328rl

Quote:
yes i know campers are not great quality......im not being mr picky first time buyer.....i have had lots of campers and fixed or altered things as needed.......but this unit is horrible .......i would like to hear how others feel......on new ones
We have a 2020 model and really loved it with 1 exception. I absolutely hate the stove/oven. The click starter quit working after a year and the glass on the oven door just came undone. The major problem we are having is a soft spot in the floor around the heat vent near the island...and we need to have the refrigerators reinstalled. There's a space in the freezer doors that allow ice buildup between the door and the freezer. Good thing we bough the extra warranty. I see you are in Bandon, did you pick it up in Coos Bay?
Old 07-03-2022, 08:48 AM   #37
meaz93*

Their is one thing on my 2018 Outback, and that is where they out the microwave?!
It is located in the island facing the refrigerators?
Actually the wife and I almost did not buy it because of that. Everything else is pretty well thought out.
I think I will relocate it at some point....unless your like 3' tall than>NEVERMIND-lol
Old 07-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #38
ncstan

No offense, but I think everyone fixing most of the issues on their own on new units may be partly why manufacturers/dealers don't give a **** about quality. They know people will just keep buying them.
Would you spend 100k on a new truck and get it home only to find that many issues and then fix them yourself?
Ford, Chevy, Dodge and everyone else would have a hard time selling them I think. Yet RV industry just keeps making **** quality RV's and people just keep buying them. Doesn't make sense.

2011 Raptor 300mp
2007 Harley F250 6.0 diesel
2008 Yamaha waverunners
ncstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstan View Post
No offense, but I think everyone fixing most of the issues on their own on new units may be partly why manufacturers/dealers don't give a **** about quality. They know people will just keep buying them.
Would you spend 100k on a new truck and get it home only to find that many issues and then fix them yourself?
Ford, Chevy, Dodge and everyone else would have a hard time selling them I think. Yet RV industry just keeps making **** quality RV's and people just keep buying them. Doesn't make sense.
Makes perfect sense to me.....

Think back to 1975-1980, when Datsun, Toyota, BMW and Mercedes first started making major inroads in car sales in the USA. That's a major reason that you can buy a Ford, Chevy, Dodge today with few or no problems to fix. Prior to that, American cars were, at best, a "hit and miss in quality". Today's cars are better because of better quality competition, not because the manufacturers felt sorry for us poor buyers, so they "gave us better cars". The industry competition FORCED them to improve.

It's the same with RV's. As long as YOU, ME and everyone with available credit keep standing in line to buy one, the manufacturers will keep giving us what we're buying.....

ONLY (and I repeat: ONLY) when we stop buying and the manufacturer's profit margins become anemic, will they start improving the product....

Sort of like suggesting to any cereal manufacturer that their product costs too much and they could improve sales by making the boxes bigger. As long as the shelves are empty and consumers are buying every 8 ounce box they deliver to the store, in "their eyes" there's no need to repackage cereal in 10 ounce boxes......

Same with Keystone, Jayco, Grand Design, Winnebago, Airstream, and <fill in the blank> RV manufacturers. They can't build them fast enough to keep up with the demand. Why on earth would they slow down production to build a "improved quality product" ??????

As a note, today's "waiting time" for an Airstream Classic is "mid year 2023 and the Bambi line delivery times are "early 2024" and people are still lining up to put down deposits.... It's not quite as bad with Keystone trailers, but close. Try special ordering a Cougar or an Outback for delivery this camping season....

So what motivation does Keystone have to "build better trailers" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:33 AM   #40
chuckster57
Site Team

Just to add to John’s post. I still get emails from RVDA on a regular basis, and they continue to report increased earnings in the 30-40 percent range, with no end in sight.

Tags
outback