Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2022, 04:34 PM   #21
legger99

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin85 View Post
legger99, I have a 2021 Tundra Limited CrewMax 4x4 with a tow capacity of 8800 lbs. We just purchased a Passport SL 221BH and keeping it in storage until May as well. Trying to gauge how the Tundra will do pulling it. What is your experience?
Hello. I towed it very limited last year, but I did really like how it felt. I use a 10k Equalizer E4 hitch though. I had it from my previous camper a 17' Cougar 29BHS. The Cougar I towed with a 13' Tundra DC that had more payload (1,7xx lbs), but I didn't like how it towed at all, too much sway, I even had the Tundra rear sway bar and E rated tires + plus issues getting that monster length trailer into camping spots, it had to go!

I did tow the Cougar with my Crewmax but it was empty and only about 60 miles to trade it in, but I swapped the E4 over to the 221BH at the RV dealer and it was a very enjoyable ride home. I was able to keep the transmission in 5th gear more where the heavier trailer was typically in 4th (both in manual mode) I do also have the TRD rear sway bar on my 17' Tundra and I really like the ride after installing it, I have P rated tires on this one though.
One thing is I am really close on payload as my Crewmax only has about 1,2xx lbs.

There is only my wife and child when we go camping but I don't think you will have any issues towing it unless you overload it
I am not selling the camper because of how it tows or any issue with the camper, just getting out of camping with a RV trailer.
2021 Passport SL 221BH - sold
legger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:42 AM   #22
mcrvfamily

Passport 221BH - Backdoor lock ideas

This seems more like a Passport 221BH General forum so I'll throw my concern out there. I love the back door of the 221BH model for loading and packing. Unfortunately, so do the crooks. At my old storage facility, I had two break-ins, 1.) b/c the facility had poor security, and 2.) b/c the back door is hidden and easy for someone to pry open the door unseen. I've replaced the latch b/c it had become easy to open but still doesn't give me the "warm and fuzzies" that it's secure. I want to ask the group if they have any suggestions on reinforcing the door with an additional lock or have fabricated something to make it more secure. At this point, I've accepted the fact that anyone can break in given the right tools and time. What I would like to do is add a secondary deterrent so the thief just moves on. Thanks and happy RVing
mcrvfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:43 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrvfamily View Post
This seems more like a Passport 221BH General forum so I'll throw my concern out there. I love the back door of the 221BH model for loading and packing. Unfortunately, so do the crooks. At my old storage facility, I had two break-ins, 1.) b/c the facility had poor security, and 2.) b/c the back door is hidden and easy for someone to pry open the door unseen. I've replaced the latch b/c it had become easy to open but still doesn't give me the "warm and fuzzies" that it's secure. I want to ask the group if they have any suggestions on reinforcing the door with an additional lock or have fabricated something to make it more secure. At this point, I've accepted the fact that anyone can break in given the right tools and time. What I would like to do is add a secondary deterrent so the thief just moves on. Thanks and happy RVing
Find a new storage facility or at least a more visible spot. A Screwdriver and a few seconds of time will allow acess to any camper door. I don't know of anyway to "reinforce " a camper door or hatch.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:17 PM   #24
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Find a new storage facility or at least a more visible spot. A Screwdriver and a few seconds of time will allow acess to any camper door. I don't know of anyway to "reinforce " a camper door or hatch.
Or a hammer.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, passport